Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GIGABYTE GA-EX38-DS5 out of order after installation of CrossfireX

Unhappy GIGABYTE GA-EX38-DS5 out of order after installation of CrossfireX

Hello there!

I wanted to assembe QuadCrossfire system but I've got problems. I've installed two ASUS EAH3870 X2 video on EX38-DS5 with Intel E8400 processor. OS - Windows Vista Ultimate x32. RAM - 2GB Kingston DDR2 1066Mhz. HDD - two Seagate 750GB. PSU - Thermaltake 1000W.

System started but after some short time was out. Something happend to the motherboard: red lights was blinking while trying to start the system and it doesn't work! What kind of problem it might be? Is this motherboard acceptable for two EAH3870 X2 or I should buy X48-DQ6 (or else)?

Thanks in advance.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GIGABYTE GA-EX38-DS5 out of order after installation of CrossfireX

It should be fine, have you tried restarting your system with only one card? What is you full system specs.

Are these Brand New cards? If so, can you test that they both work separately? Also, how did you install the crossfire just to be sure, install one card and then install the driver and reboot....Then shut down, install second card, install driver again and then reboot once more? Then after that reboot enable crossfire in Catalyst center

That is how you are supposed to do it, just making sure you were aware of that just incase

Everything I have bought was completely new. Full system spec is the following:

Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS5 motherboard, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 processor, 2 x ASUS EAH3870 X2 1GB TOP, Kingston HyperX DDR2 RAM 1066Mhz 2 x 1GB, 2 x Seagate Barracuda 750GB SATA 7200rpm, LG GGW-H20L Super Multi Blue Blu-ray Disc Rewriter, PSU Thermaltake 1000W, Targa S8 Case, additional Zalman case-attached cooler.

Maybe this trouble emerged because of bad cooling?

Concerning installation, I have installed everything primarily is CrossFireX mode and with latest Catalyst driver – system was working and then collapsed.

Is this motherboard sufficient for two EAH3870 X2? What should I do?

I believe it is sufficient. When you said it was running fine then stopped how long has it been running fine with both cards? I ask that because your title of this thread suggests that it did not ever run fine together.

Did you install the card/driver as I said to above? If not that is why it is not working. If you did not do it that way, I would suggest you remove the lower card, reboot and uninstall the ATI drivers and then reboot and install them again (With only one card in) then shut down and put in the other card, then reboot and install the driver again, reboot then enable crossfire

I would think maybe one of the cards is bad, can you test them seperately?

Did you add some PCIE voltage and MCH voltage in the BIOS before adding them both?

What settings are you using anyway, maybe I could see some issues that may be adding to you trouble >>>>

Just a template I use to ask people there settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [102]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]
    Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ ?
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ ?
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ ?
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ ?
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ ?
    Static tRead Value_______________ 1-31
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

But please let me know if you installed crossfire how I said to above, if not that could easily be your problem. If you did do it that way, then I suggest you test both cards one at a time in your system to be sure they are both ok

After first installation everything was working! I have installed Windows Vista x32, tested CrossfireX (driver was ok and CrossX eneabled) on Unreal 3. It was ok, but after few hours of working system halted for unknown reasons.

Motherboard is now in local Gigabyte service (I am in Kiev, Ukraine), so I don't have a possibility to test it now. I think it will be ready in few days or they will give me a new one.

I will try to install them separately as you described above as soon as a get my motherboard back from service.

Ahh well ya, you need the board! Let us know when you get it back

Guys from service said that south bridge burned off. They gave me my money back. I’m going to buy better case and GA X48-DQ6 motherboard. This one must be sufficient.

I’m about to buy ZALMAN Fatal1ty case (PC Perspective - Zalman Fatal1ty FC-ZE1 Champ1on Series Gaming Case Review). What do you think, it’ll be enough for this conf?

Bad South Bridge eh, dont hear that often! Well at least you get your $$ back, that is good

Looks like a Nice case, how much is it?

Price of this Zalman case is about ~420 USD here in Kiev.

2Lsdmeasap: What do you think abt the board (X48-DQ6)? Or maybe ASUS X48 boards will be better?

WOW way too much for a case!!!

GA-P45 is the new king I think, Awesome BIOS options and board features.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information