Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P45 DS5 memory compatibility

Default P45 DS5 memory compatibility

Hi all i have 8gb of this PC2-6400C5 Dual Channel Vista Gold Series DDR2 (OCZ2G8004GK) and am looking to buy a new mobo to go with quad. Will i have any problems with this memoy and the DS5 as there seems to be problems with the P5Q series of boards. Thank you in advance for any help much appreciated.

Default Re: P45 DS5 memory compatibility

I've had no problems as of yet with any OCZ memory, it is very high quality :D

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You will likely have some initial issues with 8GB unless you already are familiar with tweaking memory timings with 8GB. I should also tell you, with P35 at least I suggested against OCZ, but that is my opinion and the P35. I helped MANY people with incompatibility issues with that brand ram and GA boards. But also many users had no issues, so take that for what it is worth I suppose. P45 has not been out long enough for me to comment with any certainty.

If you are buying in the US from newegg, or possibly similar, you can just get the board and see how you like it with that ram. If it does not go well together either sell the ram and keep the board, or RMA the board. Easily done at newegg if that is where you shop, or not if you do live in the US you SHOULD shop there for that reason.

Basically, Sorry I can't say FOR Sure either way as the P45 is so new

Thanks for the replys if there was a problem it would only be a bios problem that could be sorted with an update or would it be a more serious problem ?.

Well it could be, or not. Best to see if you can indeed return the board easily or not because if not, you MAY end up needing new ram

But like I said I cant say for sure though, you may be fine. Some are fine with that ram and P35 boards as well.

But with ANY board you are not going to just stick in 8GB of ram, you will need to do some tuning

Yeah i was going to set it all up with 4gb installed first and once everything was stable (if it was) i was going to install the other 4gb that way i could validate that both kits were ok. I have only the ram and the cpu atm and i am dying to get it setup and have a play :). Thank you for your help it is appreciated. I thought maybe if i was lucky someone that works for gigabyte would look at these forums and could comment ofiicially.

Sorry, yeah I hear you. I dont work for them so Nothing "Official" from me. I can tell you what they would say though >>>

"If it is not on the QVL then you may have issues"
    Which TONS of ram that works fine or great is NOT on the list. So that is nothing to go by in my opinion really
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 06-25-2008 at 09:52 PM.

LOL thats exactly what i got along with we havn't tested the board with those modules. Looking at OCZ forum there seems to be hardly any trouble between giga boards and ocz ram so i will take that as a good sign and order my board thx for the help :).

Just to update and maybe help others i installed everything and after changing the dram voltage from 1.18 to 2.1 all four sticks have booted and been rock solid. I am well happy with the motherboard though a nicer bundle would have been nice for the extra price :D.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information