Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Very strange behaviour after changing PC case and PSU

Default Re: Very strange behaviour after changing PC case and PSU

Well the metal sticker-thingy was only in place by some double-sided-sticky-tape so actually I did not move the MCH out of place at all. So no I did not redo the paste. I mounted the fan ontop the MCH with tie wraps.

And also right after I posted (upped Vcore to 1.287) the last post I noticed the temp peak to 60 degrees on the cpu, (never been above 55 with stock cooler) shortly after that I got a complete system lockup again while running Orthos Blend.

The fan is not adjustable... but I wont keep this cooler very long I think, quiet yes, effective NO. How hot is considered safe to get on the cpu?

EDIT.
    Crap I should have kept the stock cooler, I have 32-34 (room/ambient temp is 23 degrees) degrees IDLE now at stock CPU settings (no overclock) :(

I am starting to think I installed the cpu cooler wrong cuz touching the heatsink it feels cool, and I mean really cool, like colder than my fingers and still realtemp is showing 48-50 degrees under load/Orthos, only the base of the heatsink is a bit warm. Its as If the heat dont get transfered as good as it should from the cpu to the heatsink.
    When I installed and tightened the screws on backside of the mobo I didnt dare to tighten very hard with risking to crack the mobo. Also after installing it I could not get the backplate to level flat with the mobo, there were some tiny space between the mobo and the backplate due to the mobo not being perfectly flat. It felt really really secure though and would not budge at all.

EDIT. No2

Re-calibrated realtemp, I now have 29-30 degrees IDLE, ambient temp is 23. I hope I can trust these values. I have in BIOS CPU warning temperature threshold to 70 degrees.
    Last edited by LaZ; 07-04-2008 at 07:55 AM.
    Mobo - Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4
    CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @3.6GHz
    RAM - Mushkin Redline XP2 PC8000
    GFX - Gigabyte Geforce 8800GT Type B
    PSU - Hiper Type R MKII 680W

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Does not sounds like it fits well. Yeah, quiet may be good, but not if the temps do not follow, I'd go back to the older fan you was using or save up for a new good one

Now when you say recalibrate, are you sure you are not just using a calibration setting of too much just to make your settings seem correct? What number did you use? Usually +/- .5 - 1.5 is about correct

I am using -1.7 if I am not remembering wrong, I am at work so I cant check ATM. Did some more stressing with Orthos last night and touching the heatsink it did get warm after some time but not as hot as the stock heatsink (at the base it get quite warm but not hot), but on the other hand the heatsink on the new cooler is 3 times as big as the stock one. I reached ~51 degrees with orthos with the new calibration at STOCK settings (333x9 @ 1.225V)

1.7 sounds a bit high, Maybe you use this to make your temps seem better. How much of a change does that make?

Other temp monitor apps should only be about 10 +/- 1-2 more then realtemps temperature

I went from -1 to -1.7 and it shaved of ~2-3 degrees IDLE.

So, is the differences about what I said they should be? Ahh, Just checked mine I guess you are right the .7 isnt all that much anyway!

Had me worried for a second. Sounds like you are all good then

Cant check the difference between Realtemp and other temp appz for sure now cuz I am at work but I will check ASAP when I get home.

What worries me a bit is that I could not level the backplate with the mobo when i installed the new cooler. If I had leveled it by force by tightening the screws I am afraid the mobo would crack. And also the soldering points of the backside of the mobo is in the way at some places, and thus If I tighten the screws more I might push the soldering points upwards and therefore just maybe the components attached might become loose. Dunno but its a theory.

But whats ur input on the heatsink on the new cooler not getting very hot? To me it seems that the heat is not being transfered correctly from the cpu to the heatsink.

It is this cooler Techgage - Spire VertiCool II CPU Cooler

Well, you should have screws on both sides of the backplate surrounding the motherboard so it would not be able to crack really, unless you used a TON of force. Should be like this.... A nut/backplate/motherboard/nut the final screw would secure it to the board and then the rest would go on top of that. If that is how you are doing it, you should not worry about force as I dont think you can put that much to crack the board without using a wrench and trying to crack it on purpose.

If you are not doing it like this, and you can, you should. Some kits do not say you need a but on the top side of the board but if you can it it and still get the bolts thru then it would be best and eliminate your worry about cracking the board.

Here is a Example of how I mean for the screws/nuts to surround the board using washers between each nut and the board (NOTE: In your case you would be using the backplate instead of the lower screws shown in the image, I just thought this was the best way to visibly show you what I meant for screws on the top of the board to secure the backplate to the board before even adding the heatsink on) >>>

Well all the heat is going to be moved to the top of the heatpipes so you may not feel much heat

The cooler didnt come with a jam nut for the topside. Instead the screw has a locking mechanism the locks the screw in place in the mounting device topside. And in the other end of that screw that goes through the mobo and through the backplate there is a jam nut.

but as I said, the backplate will not level without force, and there are soldering points on the back of the mobo that will get in the way of levling the backplate. the soldering points is sticking out about a millimeter, IF I force the backplate to level that soldering point will pierce that plastic protection surface and possibly make contact with the metal backplate and that might shortcircuit the mobo maybe...

But I guess IŽll have to remove the mobo again and check if i can mount it all differently.

When I get home IŽll make a quick scetch/paintshop a pic for ya to see how I mean.

Realtemp is showing 28 degrees
    Speedfan is showing 38 degrees
    Coretemp is showing 43 degrees

what do u make of that? Is realtemp accurate u think?

Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread Information