Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Very strange behaviour after changing PC case and PSU

Default Re: Very strange behaviour after changing PC case and PSU

made a sketch of the mobo+heatsink, this is a very rough sketch but it illustrates somehow the installation.

Should I have put the nylon washers between the backplate and the mobo thus making some space between the mobo and the backplate?

Also. I gave up 3.6GHz and instead aming for ~3,4GHz (375x9) with mems at 900MHz 5-5-5-18. Vcore @ 1.250. Cpu-Z showing 1.232V under load (Vdroop I think)

Running Orthos Blend now, stable so far, and I am putting extra load on the computer by using it at the same time for browsing etc...

Using my fingers, touching the actual heatpipes going from the base of the cooler and it feels warm but definately Not hot. The memory modules are definately hotter.

Realtemp showing 50-55 degrees, going up and down.
    Last edited by LaZ; 07-05-2008 at 04:26 AM.
    Mobo - Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4
    CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @3.6GHz
    RAM - Mushkin Redline XP2 PC8000
    GFX - Gigabyte Geforce 8800GT Type B
    PSU - Hiper Type R MKII 680W

I came to realize something DOH :) when running Orthos Blend and at the same time torturing the cpu by firing up alot of apps I made the comp lockup (almost everytime I have a system lockup is when I run more apps in conjunction with orthos). Logic then tells me the cpu needs more power (more volts) to open up the new appz I am trying to run? Am I correct?
    So I again upped the voltage a notch to 1.2687V, and so far so good (not the first time its so far so good LOL)... anyway I´ve fired up just about all apps I can imagine with no system lockup so far.

just me posting again LOL, I almost feel sorry for u having to answer all my posts hehe...

anyway I was looking at some mushkin mems cuz I realized by reading at asktheramguy forum that if and when I wanna upgrade to 4Gb ram from 2gig and thus populating all 4 slots I will need to lower my 800MHz mems to 667MHz cuz of the extra mem load so I was thinking that I will ditch these corsair sometime in the future and go with Mushkin instead.
    So to my question. I am new to mushkin. What series of mushkin do u recomend for some minor to moderate overclocking? The redline series or the XP series?

My goal is to run at ~3.4GHz with mems at ~900-1000MHz

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Those temps look fine.

Ahh, maybe you should just buy one of those backplate/bolt thru kits I linked to before. Is your board really already as warped as the image you drew up?

Yeah, you should have washers between both sides of the board and plates

Well orthos is funny sometimes. Especially when you first fire it up, like for about 5 minutes sometimes less anything you do will seem to freeze the system this is normal. After that you should be able to do most anything reasonable without issues, such as browsing or using a messenger or something small like that. Now starting up 10 apps or using a large program like photoshop or some 3d app you will likely always have issues because orthos loads the full ram and CPU, not leaving mych for other things. Best to not to try to overload the system when orthos is already is all. Your are fine to use it, but limit your use to small apps when possible or expect the system to always freeze on you as there is no resources for it to use because orthos will have the full system resources tied up.

you do not need to run at 667 to run 4GB of 800 ram, that comment right there would make me not want to buy another stick of corsair anyway!!! I think corsair dont work with GA boards anyway, and with comments like that from the company rep I would not buy anymore of that!

No need to run underclocked ram just because you have more, what a stupid answer. You would have to tweak it a little bit more/harder/longer but no need at all to run it at 667 unless it is crap...... So what does that tell you

As for mushkins, they are a great choice. Well, what do you plan to buy first? 2x1 or 4x1 or 2x2? They are all great, but just depends on what amount/configuration you plan to buy, and what you want to run them at CAS wise as to which sticks to get.

The XP sets is the top of the line, with the Redlines coming in right behind those. The blues are great as well, and the 1066 sticks underclock with tight timings very good as well too. So it really just all depends on the above things I asked you before I could make a few suggested models for you

No the board is not that warped as in my sketch, it was just a very rough sketch to illustrate the issue. To be more exact it was at one of the four tighetening screws/jam nuts that the board would not level with the backplate. I could probably have leveled it if I had tightened it more BUT as I drew in the pic, there was a big soldering point right by that fourth hole/screw, that If I tighten it harder would probably pierce the plastic/rubber protection layer of the backplate, and maybe make contact with the metal backplate. The backplate is in the shape of a butterfly.

The cooler did not come with a installation manual but Spire has one on thier homepage, they do not however say anything about having a nylon washer between the backplate and the mobo. In their installation picture they have the nylon washer between the jam nut and the backplate, but no nylon washer between the backplate and the mobo. Their installation-picture is showing the backplate having direct contact with the mobo.
    But maybe I should put one anyway. That way I could tighten it harder without risking one of the soldering points piercing the protection layer.

Should I do like this?

And yeah I agree Corsairs/theramguy´s response to not being able to use 4x1024 modules and thus populating all four banks/slots and at the same time use the advertised speed sucks. I wont buy more of Corsair thats for sure.

When I can afford I will ditch my Corsair and go for Mushkin. I am thinking of getting 2x2048 modules. Sadly they (Mushkin) are hard to come by where I live (sweden) but I will try. So what would be ur choice, the XP series? My goal is to run the computer @ ~3.4-3.6GHz and mems @ 900-1000MHz. I dont really need the absolute tightest timings. Just as tight as possible for a reasonable amount of money.
    Last edited by LaZ; 07-05-2008 at 09:32 PM.

Ya, I would for sure put one for your reason of being able to tighten better, and for insulation from the board. So yeah your image looks good that way, and you should have a washer on the topside of the board as well if you can

Well, if you can get XP set # 996580 that is a good one. But really any of the XP sets would be great. All of the 800Mhz XP sets will do 1000 with 555 timings. So you will be good to go, most of them will do 850-900 at 444 still as well.

I am using a HP blue set at 900 with 455-12 right now with only 2.0V

Did you see the EU sales places? >>>
    http://www.mushkin.com/doc/sales/?mv=EU

Might want to check some of those Germany places to see if they ship to you, and keep in mind several ebayers also ship worldwide.

I also do see 4 resellers listed for Sweden
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 07-06-2008 at 12:47 AM.

I have a nylon washer topside but a tiny one, it came with the cooler. And the topside installation is not done by a jam nut but by a screw/bolt that has notches/locking mechanism in it so it firmly locks into place with the rest of the installation. All the tightening of the whole installation is done by tightening the jam nut on the backside of the mobo.

Dont know if I will redo the installation of the cooler, I am only gonna keep it another 2 weeks and I am having 31-35 degrees when using the computer for regular browsing/mp3 etc and about ~45-48 degrees when running games such as Crysis etc. It just annoying to know that the installation is not 100% good. I am a bit of a perfectionist so ... :)

Is it normal for the temperature to fluctuate alot even when the computer is more or less IDLE? I am having temps between 31-35 when doing nothing (almost, only mp3 on) and its going up and down all the time. With the stock cooler the temps were a bit more stable I think.

Thanx for the Mushkin tip, I have been browsing for mushkin mems and it seems they are out of stock almost everywhere in sweden but I wont buy any this month anyway so hopefully they will be in stock by the time I am gonna buy them.

I am gonna get another cooler this month instead, I have more use of that. Thinking of either a Thermalright HR-01 Plus OR a Xigmatek HDT-S1283. They both top the listings on silentpcreview.com along with Thermalright Ultra 120
    Last edited by LaZ; 07-06-2008 at 01:59 AM.

Are these any good? Mushkin XP DDR2 PC6400/800MHz CL4 2x2GB (996580) They are in stock and quite affordable. ~100euros

Yeah, those temps look good. And yes it is normal for fluctuations because your PC is always doing something in the background

As for the Mushkins, yeah look above, that is the only kit I actually listed as a suggestion by actual Model # in Post #36

Oh yeah thats right, sorry didnt pay attention to the numbers on the mushkin tip. Been reading reviews ans stuff on the internet for hours and hours, my eyes are sore hehe...I am researching the best cooler. Gonna order one in a week or two.

Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread Information