Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Very strange behaviour after changing PC case and PSU

Default Re: Very strange behaviour after changing PC case and PSU

hehe yeah I realize the +0.1 would give it more juice, I was just thinking that maybe the older nvidia driver freaks out when the "normal" voltage is not "normal" if u understand what I mean.
    Last edited by LaZ; 07-09-2008 at 04:29 AM.
    Mobo - Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4
    CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @3.6GHz
    RAM - Mushkin Redline XP2 PC8000
    GFX - Gigabyte Geforce 8800GT Type B
    PSU - Hiper Type R MKII 680W

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ya, I hear what ya mean! Could be, but I highly doubt it. It is probably just configured to pickup the voltage amount differently. Or your PSU is giving out or just on the border of being good enough for that card

hmm I doubt the PSU is giving out on the border, its certified for SLI... but I could be wrong. Anyway, I tried the latest 175.19 but no real difference, maybe a slight improvement. Guess IŽll try some older.

I noticed I forgot to answer one of ur prevoius questions regarding WMP. Yes, the DPC latency spikes also occur when playing mp3s in WMP.
    Last edited by LaZ; 07-09-2008 at 08:29 AM.

Ahh, well I suppose maybe just that older driver is configured different then the new ones. Did you try playing around for a while with that older one installed?

Yeah, I would say try a few older ones for sure because newest isnt always the best. And usually often that is the case for sure with new forceware. I always see threads about the latest causing a issue with "this or that"

No I did not play around with the old driver, I assumed it was not gonna work when it complained about not having enough power, and also its a quite old driver, from 2007 so it probably wont supprt the new upcoming games anyway.

I think I will try a fresh install of Vista next week when I have my vacation, to rule out a corrupt windows install.

Finally I have my DPC spikes under control, even when I am overclocked - PHEW :)
    No more red spikes, all my spikes are below 1000 microsecs and dont affect the audio playback.
    Its not perfect though, Gigabyte really has issues with DPC latency, thats obvious and hopefully a BIOS update will fix that.

Ahh, well If you get time you should play around with it and see if you get it to work any, that could have just been a fluke warning or something. And yeah you are right probably wont be a good anyway for long

Just so you know a clean install will not solve DPC spikes, it may appear that way until you start installing everything you need again then it will be back. But likely will be there either way before or after all needed driver installs

Yeah I guess you are right, but sooner or later I will need a clean install anyway. And when I do that I will check the DPC latencys between every driver I install to see which one causes it.

I donŽt think it was a fluke warning though, I have tried several 169-series drivers and they all give the warning. Weird thing though is that I once had NGO NVIDIA Optimized Driver 169.25 driver installed with the same gfx and it did not give the warning then. When I think about it, the problem with the 169-series driver giving warning about too little power started after I switched CPU cooler and installed the northbridge fan. Bare with me and IŽll go into details, here goes:

At this time (like ~10 days ago) I had the "NGO NVIDIA Optimized Driver 169.25" installed with no issues, no complaints about getting too little power. Then as I wrote a while back I got this Spire Verticool II cpu cooler from a friend (it was his old one) and decided to test it.
    When I switched CPU cooler from the Intel stock cooler I disconnected all cables and took the mobo out of the case. I also removed the GFX card. I was very careful about it not to bump it or otherwise damage it. GFX removed and all cables disconnected, mobo out of the case and seated on my kitchen table. I removed the metallic sticker gently from the northbridge. Installed an AKASA Amber 60x60mm 2500rpm fan ontop of the northbridge, securing it with tiewarps, making sure it was firmly seated. Connected it to the NB_fan connector on the mobo with a 3pin connection. Moved to the cpu cooler installation, fastened the backplate, put thermal paste on the cpu and then installed the cooler, connected it to the cpu_fan connector. Inserted the mobo into the case, connected all the cables and installed the GFX card with the 6pin PCI-E power cord.
    Booted up Windows Vista and the first thing I see is the damn Nvidia Sentinell warning telling me the card is not getting enough power, as if I had forgotten to connect the PCI-E connector, which I hadnt.
    At this point I got real puzzled cuz the GFX card was working fine with the 169.25 driver before I took the computer apart and decided It had to be a driver issue, so I uninstalled the 169.25 driver, booted and then continued with the installation of the GFX driver. This time I choose the latest from nvidia, 175.16 at the time. Installation procedure needed a boot so I did and voila the nvidia sentinell warning about the power was gone. And ever since I cant use the 169-series at all, and the 175-series gives me big DPC spikes :|

Phew that was a long one... what do u make of that?

Hmm, do you use a driver cleaner? Maybe you need to so you can try the older one again >>>
    Driver Cleaner Professional download from Guru3D.com

Page 18 of 26 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread Information