Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Very strange behaviour after changing PC case and PSU

Default Re: Very strange behaviour after changing PC case and PSU

Yeah I tried two different ones. The first and more simple one Guru3D - Driver Sweeper did not do the work very well, I then today moved on to the more advanced Driver Cleaner Net drivercleaner.net and uninstalled the 175.19, booted into safe mode and ran the Driver Cleaner Net. Installed 175.16 again. And now the DPC spikes are ALOT better, only a red one once in a while, and it doesnt really affect the audio playback.

What really puzzles me is how the heck the driver (169.25) could work OK and when I put the comp back together it does not work anymore....
    Mobo - Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4
    CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @3.6GHz
    RAM - Mushkin Redline XP2 PC8000
    GFX - Gigabyte Geforce 8800GT Type B
    PSU - Hiper Type R MKII 680W

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ahh, well yeah that is strange for sure! Maybe you needed to reboot before it thought you had not enough power?

Well at least you have it semi fixed for now

Yeah its semi fixed, as good as it gets I suppose, until Gigabyte releases a stable F4 BIOS which I hope adresses the DPC issue. I emailed a few questions regarding the beta bios to Janus last night but so far he has not replied.

I noticed something peculiar concerning DPC spikes. When Vista is freshly booted I can see in GPU-Z that GPU Core Clock and GPU memory Clock is at 100%, in my case 700/920. But after sitting in Vista a few minutes IDLE both the GPU Core and Mem clock reduces itself to 450/700 and when that happens a DPC Spike of 16.000 microsecs appear. Do you know of any way to prevent the Core clock and mem clock to reduce itself?

Sounds like a bad card there, or PSU not giving it enough juice. Mine always stays at what it is set at

Well, the core and mem clock goes into 100% mode again when I am playing. And I am playing Crysis @ 1280x1024 all settings on HIGH, 4x Antilalising with 25-70fps. Dont think I could do that with a bad card. But I will look into it, somehow.

These are the specs on the PSU. Look at it please and say if you think its not enough for my VGA. It says on the box it came with its Nvidia SLI Certified.

HIPER - PRODUCTS - HIPERPOWER - Type R II - HPU-5K680 - Specification

That is plenty power but split rails is not the best that is for sure

It could just be the 2D/3D clock switches onn/off when not being used. I have no clue how you change that with Nvidia cards but I know it can be shut off as I have seen posts about it for ATI. Maybe in RivaTuner >>>
    Legion Hardware

Here is a discussion about the 8800GT and 2D/3D switching, maybe you can read it and find out how you make it stop
    Forceware 177.40 + 2D/3D seperate OC with Rivatuner - Guru3D.com Forums

But it IS a FEATURE to preserve your card's life so probably best to leave it alone

I noticed last night that the core and mem clocks in fact did NOT scale up when I ran a game like it used to before (non-overclocked @ stock values when computer was new, like 2 months ago) :| It stayed at 450/700 instead of scaling up to 700/920. This was with forceware 175.16.
    So again I uninstalled the driver and did a real thurough driverclean in safemode and thought this time god damn it I am gonna get the 169.25 driver to work. In my deperation I also decided to switch PCIE slot on the mobo so I moved the card to PCIE slot no2. Booted up and installed 169.25. Ran GPU-Z and I had my original values 700/920... for about 2-3minutes and then... guess what - Nvidia Sentinell Warning - Not enough power and at the same time I noticed in GPU-Z that clocks went down to 450/700.
    That made me think that maybe the PCIE needs a bit more juice since I am overclocked, so I upped the PCI-E to +0.15 and booted to windows again. Now I had my 700/920 again. Started Half-Life 2 and played for a little while - Alt-Tabbed to windows and checked Gpu-Z, still 700/920, played a little longer and alt-tabbed, 700/920 still :) So I thought I had really solved the issue but NO. When I quit playing HL2 and was idle in windows for like a few minutes the Nvidia Sentinell warned again about the power :( ...
    so for the thousand time I uninstalled 169.25, did driverclean. And installed 175.19 and behold its actually working so far, after idle in windows the clocks scale down and when I start a game they scale up again :)

Only conclusion I can come to regarding the sentinel power warning is that the 169.25 driver is somehow bugged, atleast in my system, that or either it is very overclock sensitive so when the scaling down occurs the driver interprets something wrong and I get the sentinell warning.

And the reason for the GFX not scaling up as it should with 175.16/19 must have been cuz it was under-volted and the +0.15 on the PCI-E must have done the trick.

Also another effect of the PCI-E volt increase is that I no longer have any red DPC spikes at all, only small ones below the yellow threshold :)

By the way what is the safe-limit on the PCI-E volt? How far can I push it without dangering the GFX card? (my temps on GFX is idle ~39-45 and load ~65-70-ish.

How come separate Rails is no good?

And LOL U must think Im crazy with all my issues LOL :p Im starting to think I am

EDIT. CRAP CRAP CRAP its back to not scaling up again :( It did scale up 3 times when I tried but now it isn't anymore. I will break something soon.

Could The "PCI Express Frequency" setting in BIOS be affecting this scaling up and down? What would happen if I set it to AUTO now that I am overclocked? Will that also make the PCIE-freq OC:ed?
    Last edited by LaZ; 07-11-2008 at 03:50 AM.

I would say you may have a faulty or insufficient PSU.

The safe range would be .15-.2, I have not seen anyone use anymore then that. But that should not be needed if your PSU was working properly and was good enough, maybe it is not

There has been MANY Discussions on Single or Dual Rails, and the conclusion is Single is best. With seperate rails one rail may not provide enough power to a item such as a GFX card when needed even though the power may be available

DO not set that to AUTO, especially overclocked as yes it will overclock the Freq to a unsafe area. ALWAYS LOCK AT 100-105/110

Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread Information