Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Very strange behaviour after changing PC case and PSU

Default Re: Very strange behaviour after changing PC case and PSU

Ok I wont set it to AUTO :)

It seems my PSU unit aint that good after all then :| I did alot of reading reviews on this PSU before I bought it and it got excelent reviews all over. IŽll pick up another one from work to test with and see if the problem goes away.

So far it is like this, fresh boot = all clocks OK. Idle 5 min clock goes down, I start game clocks go up again. I quit game, idle 5 min clock down, start game clock go up, quit game clock down and if I idle a bit longer, like 10-15 min after the clock goes down it dont scale up again. atleast not according to GPU-Z. Funny thing though I dont suffer any performance loss ingame. Could it just be a bug in windows not reporting the clocks ok? Maybe due to the overclock?

EDIT.
    Been reading at the guru3d forum, it seems problem is fairly usual with 8800GTŽs and doesnt seem to be related to the PSU, but a driver/software issue.
    Last edited by LaZ; 07-11-2008 at 08:59 AM.
    Mobo - Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4
    CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @3.6GHz
    RAM - Mushkin Redline XP2 PC8000
    GFX - Gigabyte Geforce 8800GT Type B
    PSU - Hiper Type R MKII 680W

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

That would be the best thing to do is get another you can test with to see if it is the issue or not

The voltages you are setting are not a overclock at all, just provide extra volts to the card if needed.

Ya, I read some contradictory threads about it all, Maybe you should contact GA and ask to see what they reply about this

As far as I know its a built-in feature on some 8800 cards, not all have it though. I am not sure the issues I am having with it is cuz of the OC or a corrupt vista install or bad drivers. As far as I can recall I did not have an issue with it when I just had bought and built the computer and was non-OD:d but then I again I could be wrong.
    I managed to turn off half the feature last night with Gigabytes GamerHud, the Core clock was reduced but not the mem clock and it scaled up when I ran a game, that was until I rebooted and then I was back to square one.
    I am fairly certain its not a PSU issue though cuz the card has no probs running at full speed, and it does scale up most of the times, so it must be a driver/software issue related to the switching between 2D and 3D mode.
    One solution to the problem, as suggested by some guys over at guru3d would be to mod the bios of the card, remove the scaling feature or set the 2D to the same clocks as the 3D, and then flash it with nvflash. But thats a rather extreme method if u ask me and I am very hesitant to do it, I feel I am in "deep waters" doing that.

And regarding contact with GA, seems impossible, I contacted them like 5 days ago concerning a beta bios and the DPC latency, my mail has still not been revieved. And Janus Yeh has not answered either.

Well yeah I guess it really is a Feature and if it dont really affect you I would leave it as well and not get into Card BIOS flashing either!

As for contacting GA, Try without DPC in the email Subject and you may get a reply faster as I am sure they are tired of getting those emails

well If they get that many emails about DPC they should really do something about it then. I have always thought well about Gigabyte but I am really having second thoughts about them. They seem to have problems with most things, they cant make their boards work with corsair/Ocz/crucial. And now I cant even get the freakin GFX card to work with the correct clocks without having to boot my computer everytime I wanna play (I brought home another PSU unit and tested with it, same issue). I have tried just about every setting imaginable in Rivatuner as suggested by the guru3d guys, things like this makes me wanna throw the mobo and GFX to hell and go with Asus and ATI instead.

Sorry If I seem annoyed and in a bad mood, I am a bit drunk and very tired of all issues. I dont want a F****g 2D/3D mode, I want full thrust all the time.

ps. Dont take this post personal, you have been very very helpfull, and I could not have come this far without your aid :)

They are trying, I see MANY BIOS's in beta stages.

ATI instead sounds great to me, Asus not so much

Ahh I got ya, I love to drink as well

If you are not strapped for cash, I would also suggest some compatible Ram.

I know, you dont want to hear that, but it is my suggestion over a Asus board for sure

Sadly cash is a problem, I have already spent more cash than I can afford getting the hardware I have now :( But I will find a way to get new hardware if I cant find a way around this mess. And the GFX will be the first thing out the window. IŽll try a vga bios flash before though and if it ****s up my card so be it, IŽll put a hammer into it LOL. I thought going with a GA mobo and a GA gfx would be a hit but nope. I guess a fresh Vista install will be my next option to see if that has any effect, I have tweaked the hell out of it so maybe thats contributing to the problem. Or maybe I am just seing a problem that really isnt there, as I said earlier I have not seen a performance loss due to the clock reducement, but on the other hand I have only tried with Half Life 2 Episode 2 and thats not a very demanding game.

Edit.

I am going over to a friends soon, he has the exact same GFX but a different GA mobo. IŽll check if his GFX acts the same way.

And I am gonna stop posting for an hour or two I think, I am getting more drunk and I feel its not fair me spilling my guts here when all you do is helping me :)

Cheers mate!
    Last edited by LaZ; 07-12-2008 at 02:25 AM.

Ahh no need to hammer it, if it dies on you put it on ebay, there are MANY users who could easily reflash it

HAHA.... Ill see ya when you get back mate!

hehehe IŽm back (actually havent left yet) I promise this is the last post for a couple of hours :p ... just had to let u know, It seems I found a solution, or maybe not a solution but a workaround. Last night I tried to set the clocks with nTune 5.05 with no luck. But just now, like 20 min ago I found a tool called nVidia System Tools 6.02 and its almost the same as nTune but newer. Anyway I went into the frequency settings after a fresh boot while I had the clocks at 100% and sat 725/950/1750 (a bit OC:ed) manually and BEHOLD, I know I will probably jinx it buy saying it but anyway, my clocks remain at 100% now :) :) :) Running the GPU-Z while I am away at my friends house to monitor any change, cross my fingers it wont change.

And as a bonus, I have ZERO red dpc latency spikes now, somehow the automatic 2D/3D mode switching generated alot of DPC. Been running the DPC latency checker all the time to monitor the DPC.

Over and out - and another cheers mate :p
    Last edited by LaZ; 07-12-2008 at 03:23 AM.

Well, that sounds like a fix to me, not a workaround. Fixed a few things with the proper software, that is how you do it!

Sorry I did not suggest that app before, last I used Nvidia it was Ntune I used. Sapphire all the way for me.... Always

Good luck man!

Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread Information