Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Very strange behaviour after changing PC case and PSU

Default Re: Very strange behaviour after changing PC case and PSU

Ok hmmm, I guess I could swap my 3rd HDD that is not part of the raid to port 0 just for the time being while I flash. I will also construct the blindflash bios recovery floppy, as suggested in a sticky at mydl. I dug up a floppydrive from an old "corpse" in the wardrobe, Ill hook it up when the time comes.

anything else I should know or beware of? Ill put GAs flash-util + F3 bios along with a autoexec.bat on the recovery floppy with these switches /py/sn/f/cc/r should be alright I guess? I really need to eliminate as many bad actors as possible before going along with this project -IF I brick my mobo Ill panic hehehe-..... cant really afford getting a new one for quite some time
    Mobo - Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4
    CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @3.6GHz
    RAM - Mushkin Redline XP2 PC8000
    GFX - Gigabyte Geforce 8800GT Type B
    PSU - Hiper Type R MKII 680W

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You should leave it there. The Bios backup gets stored in the HPA and it has to be on that port

Here is another Blindflash page, Which do you know of? >>>
    Award 6.0 BIOS - BootBlock Recovery

The floppy drive must be already hooked up before a Corrupt BIOS happens, and must be the first boot device just so you know of that

Well, I dunno. I suggest maybe waiting if you can till you have $80 or so for a new board just incase!

I know of the sticky guide from mydl about bios recovery. And before I flash I will hookup the floppy drive and set it as first boot device.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    You should leave it there. The Bios backup gets stored in the HPA and it has to be on that port
    I was thinking of doing this, correct me if I am wrong. Before I flash I hookup the floppy as stated above. Then I disconnect my 2 HDDs that are in RAID port 0 and 1). Connect the non-raid HDD to the SATA port 0.

Well you want to likely test your raid on ports 2+3 first, I am not sure if moving it around will affect it or not.

Where is the page (PM me about BIOS recovery that you know of)

Yes, hook up the floppy now and set as first boot device, and leave it there. I would also do a flash or two with a normal one once you get your HD on Port 0 to ensure that is saves a BIOS copy on it before trying your other BIOS

Cant I just disconnect the 2 RAID HDDs and connect only the non-raid (I have 3 HHDs, 2 in raid and one not in raid- just for storage) disc to port 0 while I do the flash and that way the backup bios should be written to that HDD, or must the HDD that the backup is written to be a system disc? And when the flash is done and all went well I simply connect the HDD raids to port 0,1 again.
    I mean the RAID discs have nothing to do with the actual flash. And If I dont recall wrong I think the RAID discs must be on the same ports as they were when I made the array or else it wont work.

This is a quote from the bios recovery site u suggested.

"I generally don't recommend reprogramming the BootBlock when you flash your BIOS, because you risk losing your only insurance against a failed flash. Award's BootBlock code hasn't changed in years.

One exception to this rule: some boards have BIOS code so large that it extends into the space reserved for the BootBlock code. In order to flash these boards, it's necessary to include the /WB switch (write BootBlock).

If you have funky stuff going on, like missing options on some of the setup menus, after recovering, reflash your BIOS including the /WB switch in the command line for Awdflash.exe"

Does this apply to my board? Does my bios extend into the bootblock area?

Also from same page:
    AWDFLASH.EXE xxxxxxxx.BIN /CC /CD /CP /QI /R /PY /SN
    When I make my recovery floppy I should use the flash util that came with the BIOS file from GA's site right? Its not called AWDFLASH.EXE but FLASH895.EXE. I mean the switches will still work?

If I use the util that came with the BIOS my command in autoexec.bat would look like this:

FLASH895.EXE ex38ds4.f3 /CC /CD /CP /QI /R /PY /SN

Edit. Sorry If I have too many stupid questions, I just wanna make sure I know 100% what I am doing, I dont like being in "the dark" :)
    Last edited by LaZ; 07-15-2008 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LaZ View Post
    Cant I just disconnect the 2 RAID HDDs and connect only the non-raid (I have 3 HHDs, 2 in raid and one not in raid- just for storage) disc to port 0 while I do the flash and that way the backup bios should be written to that HDD, or must the HDD that the backup is written to be a system disc? And when the flash is done and all went well I simply connect the HDD raids to port 0,1 again.
    I mean the RAID discs have nothing to do with the actual flash. And If I dont recall wrong I think the RAID discs must be on the same ports as they were when I made the array or else it wont work.

Like I said, best to have the system use the disk for a while because I am not sure when the BIOS copy is added in (During a flash, or during system use) Yeah you could do it like you say, but then I am not positive it will get copied in the disk or not.

You will not mess up your array just by trying to load it on 1+2 it will just either load or not. And if not you should try 3+4 as well. And yeah they may need to be on the same ports. And if so, you should just wait for all of this flashing business until you are ready for a clean install. Then setup your new raid on the 3+4 or 1+2 ports with the storage drive on the 0 port this time around. Then install your OS and use your system for a bit, then flash a few times with a normal BIOS to make sure it copies it over to the HD

Quote Originally Posted by LaZ View Post
    This is a quote from the bios recovery site u suggested.

Does this apply to my board? Does my bios extend into the bootblock area?

Also from same page:

When I make my recovery floppy I should use the flash util that came with the BIOS file from GA's site right? Its not called AWDFLASH.EXE but FLASH895.EXE. I mean the switches will still work?

If I use the util that came with the BIOS my command in autoexec.bat would look like this:

FLASH895.EXE ex38ds4.f3 /CC /CD /CP /QI /R /PY /SN

Edit. Sorry If I have too many stupid questions, I just wanna make sure I know 100% what I am doing, I dont like being in "the dark" :)

You can use either app, you have a Award BIOS. And yes the bootblock is what fails when the BIOS gets corrupted

Ok tnx I think I have a grip on things now. However it will be hard for me to setup my 3rd HDD as a system disc, its full of "stuff". And also the 2 raid HDDs is also full off "stuff" so re-creating the arrays if necessary is not really an option. It seems I will just have to take my chances. I am fairly confident the guys over at mydl did a good job with the mod.

I will make 2 recovery floppys, one mydl way, and one the way from ur page.

Also Janus Yeh was kind to send me a beta bios F4f to test, and he says its close to a final version. Havent decided yet though if I am gonna try it or not.
    Last edited by LaZ; 07-15-2008 at 09:36 PM.

Now I have 2 recovery floppys, one made from the awfully ugly green page u linked me to :p and one custom made with GAs flash util + an autoexec.bat that should auto flash.

My friend flashed his board last night when I was there (also a GA board), with a mod from mydl, after the flashing at the first boot he got a CMOS Checksum Error, I guess cuz the flash util did a cmos clear, anyway at the 2nd boot all was fine and he entered bios and loaded defaults. All OK.

Is it normal to get a CMOS checksum error after a flash when option to clear cmos is used? Should I use the same option as he did? It was the default option set by the flash utility and it cleared the cmos.

I do not mean make your 3rd drive a System disk, if you meant OS. I mean only storage, but use it with your main system running (Your RAID array + the Third drive as storage on port 0 and flash a few times this way)

Well as for Beta, I would not use that to fix as you plan, only a final one. But that is likely fine for test flashing, usage, testing, ect

I have never got a error when flashing, maybe he has ram errors. What utility do you mean, if you mean Qflash and it is a default setting as you say then I have used it with no errors. If it is some other utility, I have not used it so I could not comment if that is normal. But I doubt any error is normal

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread Information