Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: Very strange behaviour after changing PC case and PSU

Default Re: Very strange behaviour after changing PC case and PSU

I am not gonna flash any beta bios. Its the modded one IŽll flash. And the util I am talking about is the one GA provides with their bios:es, its a ami/award multi-flasher.

It was not an error during flashing. At 1st boot after flash he got CMOS CHECKSUM ERRROR, booted again and all was fine. The bootlock recovery page u linked me states that a CMOS checksum error is normal after using a flash util that also clears cmos.
    Mobo - Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4
    CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @3.6GHz
    RAM - Mushkin Redline XP2 PC8000
    GFX - Gigabyte Geforce 8800GT Type B
    PSU - Hiper Type R MKII 680W

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ahh ok

Yeah, never used that only @BIOS and Qflash. But as I said, a error is not normal. A first boot after flash error is not normal if that is what you are asking, with any utility. Are you sure the one he flashed went in properly?

Ohh? Did it, guess I missed that part of the page. I know @bios clears, and so does Qflash and I have never seen a error

Just cross your fingers on a second reboot then I suppose

When your system reboots, wait until you see the POST screen. You'll get a CMOS Checksum Error at this point, because the switches we included in Autoexec.bat clear your CMOS to Failsafe Defaults. Turn off the system using the switch on the PSU.
    Because some BIOS' complete their "save" while the system is rebooting, wait until you get to the POST/CMOS Checksum Error before turning the system off.
    Because your BIOS settings and many tables are stored in CMOS memory, and not everything will clear using the switches included above, you should manually clear the CMOS memory again.
    When you restart, you'll get another CMOS Checksum Error at the POST screen. Press DEL and reprogram your BIOS. Start with the selection of Load Optimized Defaults from the main menu. If you need to adjust the voltage for your RAM in order to run your system, make that change next. Remove the diskette (you might boot to it again and run the flash all over).
    You make me nervous now hehe, I was about to do the flash tonite but now I am not so sure. Damn whay must this be so complicated.

Would using Q-flash be a better option u think? Some say that Q-flash doesnt alway update the "whole" bios if it feels its not neccesary.

Ahh I see. Dont worry, I just read thru it real fast and it hurts my eyes! I guess it is normal then. I just hadn't done a blind flash for a while, or a flash in DOS so I maybe forgot.

Yes, you should only be using the dos flash (Blindflash or recovery) methods if you kill your BIOS. Any other time I would be using Qflash

Qflash will not update the "Whole" bios for users who do not select Load Optimized Defaults after the flash. And I also think you may have a option to clear the CMOS in Qflash, but I have not looked around. Either way, for what you want to do use Qflash it will work fine

LOL yeah it hurts my eyes too, dunno what the guy was thinking when he choose that awfull color for the page.

Its not only the blind flash method that clears the CMOS, GAs own flash util does it by default. When u start the flash util in DOS with no parameters it starts a DOS GUI, and in that GUI u open the bios file u wanna flash with, and then there are tick-boxes to fill in/clear. CLEAR cmos is ticked by default. that was the way my friend flashed his board with, with a mod from mydl. And as I understand from the green page u will always get a cmos checksum error at first boot if the cmos is cleared by the flash util. But then again I might be wrong. Maybe I should use Qflash then instead if that one doesnt make an error.

Also another thing that was a bit weird when my friend flashed, at first boot when the cmos error showed, the logo that is at the top of the page at boot (not the fullscreen default GA logo), was NOT there, it was just a black empty space. But then again at the 2nd boot all was there. And we confirmed in windows (in everest) that the "mod" had done its job, if u know what I mean...
    Last edited by LaZ; 07-17-2008 at 05:19 AM.

Ok, Yeah it may. I have never used it, only Qflash. And if Qflash does I can say it DOES NOT give a error on first reboot

You are likely correct, after reading that over again from the sounds of it.

Ya, you should use Qflash, the Green page, and the one you showed me are for recovery of a corrupt BIOS. Sure you can use the DOS tools anytime, and those parameters noted as well anytime, but there is no need for all that when you can use Qflash

I only ever see the Full Screen GA page, so I cant say for sure about that image. I assume you mean the energy logo or small award thing, I have seen it in the past but never on any of my machines

So, his is fine eh..... Well whatcha waiting on? Mine is fine as well, with my own modding!

So, his is fine eh..... Well whatcha waiting on? Mine is fine as well, with my own modding!
    I guess I am too scared to flash still, the thought of bricking my mobo freaks me out. Maybe IŽll wait and see if I am satisfied with x64, If I am not IŽll go back to x86. But still, I really want to flash...DOH as Homer Simpson says :p If I know myself well enough and I do, I wont be able to not flash cuz I am just too curious about it.

I assume you mean the energy logo or small award thing
    Yep thats the one I mean. I got real spooked when my friend flashed and at 1st boot there was no logo, only black empty space and that Cmos checksum error thing. Damn I am a little chicken LOL. Worst case scenario - IŽll be without a computer for a few days and then find a way to buy a new board, maybe not an as expensive one but a simpler P35 or maybe P45 board.

Ahh I know the feeling, you will get there!

Ya, I never see that LOGO on mine at all. I would assume it would be gone and give that error and need a reboot again for the BIOS to fully load off into the double chips maybe?

Hehe nothing happened :) yet atleast, been playing Frontlines Fuel Of War and doing some troubleshooting on my GFX problem, the scaling of the clocks I mentioned earlier. And I finally found the reason for it.
    I noticed the other day that I had some weird errors when I checked the event viewer, I had eventID 7000 NVFlashdev something something a driver could not load....so I googled it and found out it belonged to NTune which I havent had installed for a long time. Anyway I also took a look in device manager, show hidden devices, and there under system devices I found the NVFlashdev listed as not working, so I uninstalled that device and now I dont have a problem with the clocks scaling down. Or to be exact it scales down but also scales up again when I run a game, as it should. The dpc spikes are gone too :) IŽm thinking my issues with forceware 169.25 probably originate from that same NVFlashdev. Damn nvidia cant make a proper uninstall proggy for their own software :| Luckily I am a stubborn person and hardly ever give up :)

Concerning the flashing I have come to the conclusion that I wonŽt flash just yet, I will wait and see how I feel after running x64 for a while, If I think its worth taking the risk of flashing, IŽll just have to live with the F8-thing for starters.

And also, according to Janus Yeh the beta bios he sent me (F4f) is in its final stage and near a stable release. Not that EX38 has a major DPC issue but if the next stable bios makes them go away completely IŽll probably want that one.

Only 3 more days to paycheck-time (monday) and I can go pick up my Redlines at the postoffice WOHOO :). Thinking ahead a bit now. What changes do I need to make in BIOS to make them run smooth?
    My goal is FSB 400x9 and mems @ 960MHz 5-5-5-12 2.1V. Do I need to up the MCH voltage further? I am at +0.1 now. IŽm guessing subtimings need to be manually adjusted?

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread Information