Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Very strange behaviour after changing PC case and PSU

Default Re: Very strange behaviour after changing PC case and PSU

Is it possible that you pinched a wire when moving into the new case? Your symtoms (LED always on; CPU load LEDs flickering) suggest that something is grounded that should not be. Check the wiring from the front panel to the MB especially in places that it goes through or around the chassis.

-LMichael
    GA-X48-DS4 r1.3 F1 | Q6600 SLACR | EVGA 8600GT | Crucial Ballistix Tracer 800MHz 2x 1G | OCZ Platinum 800MHz 2x 512 | Raidmax 530SS | Rosewill 5601-K | Windows XP Pro SP3

Quote Originally Posted by nazareth View Post
    Is it possible that you pinched a wire when moving into the new case? Your symtoms (LED always on; CPU load LEDs flickering) suggest that something is grounded that should not be. Check the wiring from the front panel to the MB especially in places that it goes through or around the chassis.

-LMichael
    Thank you for responding but the issue already solved itself. It turned out that this particular PSU I am using has a well known bug/issue with my mobo, the USB hub connector from the PSU to to the mobo has a faulty wire, so I disconnected the whole hub and problem solved. Computer running stable now.
    Mobo - Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4
    CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @3.6GHz
    RAM - Mushkin Redline XP2 PC8000
    GFX - Gigabyte Geforce 8800GT Type B
    PSU - Hiper Type R MKII 680W

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Realtemp is the best once calibrated for 45nm CPU's, until the other apps catch up in programming. I used to use everest, but havent started it in a while now. Plus RealTemp keeps a not of the time of max and min temps it is very nice!

When doing your calibration you can use .8 or less for your vcore
    Been doing the calibation now, tried starting comp with 266x6@0.8 - no boot, endless cycles, tried 266x6@1.1 - No luck. 333x6@1.1 did the trick.

Anyway now my idle temp show 30 Degrees, thats 8 above my ambient/room temp. Normal idle on the E8400 should ~5 above ambient if I read the calib docs correctly so I will make a -3 adjust in the settings in realtemp right?

EDIT.
    Or no, -3 gave me a idle temp of 20 degrees, way too low, a value of -1 gives me an idle of 27-29 degrees, does that make sense? Is it likely?
    Last edited by LaZ; 06-29-2008 at 09:19 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yes, that is how you do the calibration. With a 6 multi and .8 or less Vcore you should be around 5 +/- above ambient temps

Yeah, that makes better sense, you can use decimals points to below 1 if you like such as .8 or .9 or even -.8 and so on depending on what you think each should be. Point being in calibration is just to set RealTemp to be as close to accurate as you think you can possibly set it. With Vcore that low and multi that low the CPU Cores should only be 5 or more above ambient. So you can adjust each core accordingly is all to get them to be as close to correct as you think. I am using 1.0 on one core and -0.9 on the other on mine

Running smoothly 378x9 (3,4GHz) @ 1.225v - Mems 5-5-5-18 @ 930MHz. Orthos Small FFTs stable ~1 hour.

BUT at 388x9 (3.5GHz) @ 1.225 - Mems 5-5-5-18 @ 960MHz Orthos Small FFTs makes ERROR after a few minutes.

Whats most likely the cause? I am guessing the Vcore right? Up it a bit?
    Last edited by LaZ; 06-30-2008 at 12:50 AM.

Yeap mor vcore

Are you using a Ram Multi? If not then your ram at 378X9 is not 930, but dont mind me I am just thinking out loud. Either way if you are you should not that way you keep your ram down to where it is easily runable 800-900 using the 2.0 multi. I say that because as I said before you want to keep your ram out of the picture for now while you find your CPU spot you want. You will get up to 3.6 and have ram at 800 for sure anyway or higher, just have to get your CPU set first

Sorry yeah you are right mems were at 907MHz when I ran cpu@ 378x9. And no I am not using the 2:0 divider on the rams, running them with 2.40b so far.

Been running Orthos Small FFTs now with cpu 388x9, bumped up the Vcore a notch and now its stable again, atleast after 45 min, test still running.

Gonna set the multi on the rams to bring them down closer to 800MHz

realtemp now idle 30, 100% load 49 degrees (with Vcore one notch above 1.225, dont remember the exact voltage)

EDIT.
    The reason I didnt set the multi on the mems to 2:0 was cuz on many reviews on those particular mems by CDRinfo, Pcstats, X-ibit Labs etc they have tested the mems and they should run with no prob up to ~950 5-5-5-18@2.1V. But as I said I will bring them down to ~800 just to be sure :)
    Last edited by LaZ; 06-30-2008 at 01:31 AM.

Ahh I thought maybe you was using a ram multi, just had to ask incase you were maybe confused about something. Good to see you was not!

Ya, you should keep the ram down and out of the picture until you find the sweet spot you plan to use your CPU at first. And really once you get there (I mean the spot you for sure plan to keep) you should run orthos for 12+ hours on large FFT, or blend to be sure it is fully stable. Then set your rams later when you get time as it is a little bit harder to tweak to the absolute best spot

Temps sound good, and correct

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Ahh I thought maybe you was using a ram multi, just had to ask incase you were maybe confused about something. Good to see you was not!
    Well, In a way I guess I am using a multi, I am using 2.40b now but gonna set 2:0 to bring them down to ~800. But what ever value I set I will be using a multi wont I? I mean all SPD values are multis...or am I confused here hehe...

Na 2.0 is not a mutli just written funny in GA bios's it is 1:1 in reality, when we say multi we are asking 1:1 or above using a larger multi. But yeah kinda, as it would still be 2xFSB. But you do know what I meant silly, you are not confused just to much time on your hands! HAHA

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread Information