Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: I'm afraid @Bios toasted my bios II

Default I'm afraid @Bios toasted my bios II

I've just built a new rig with a GA-P35-DS3P, rev 2.1. When I tested the rig's RAM, memtest86+ was throwing up hundreds of errors per pass. This is apparently a known issue with certain versions of the DS3 BIOS. I have tested a bunch of other RAM that I know is good and I still get the same errors. So, I needed to update the BIOS to be able to properly test the memory.

I installed @bios, downloaded the newest BIOS (F10) and pointed @bios to the p35ds3p.f10 file. It's now gone into a loop of "Alloc kernel memory failure!!" > "Translate memory failure!!" > "Free kernel memory failure!!" that can seemingly only be stopped by killing the gwflash process. If I start up @bios again and try to restore my old BIOS (which I saved before attempting to update) I get the same error loop.

I am worried that the next time I restart my computer, my motherboard will be a very expensive doormat. Any ideas?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: I'm afraid @Bios toasted my bios II

It is also a Known issue with certain versions of Memtes86+, be sure you are using the latest >>>
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Yes, you may need to RMA, or maybe not. Just depends on how lucky you get. If you are NOT using RAID you have a better chance.

See here for suggested Methods of flashing and or fixing >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/im-a...my-bios-26905/

If your board is dead on reboot and you have a floppy you may be able to use what I posted in reply #6

And NEVER USE @BIOS AGAIN

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    It is also a Known issue with certain versions of Memtes86+, be sure you are using the latest >>>
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
    I am using the most recent memtest, yes.

If you are NOT using RAID you have a better chance.
    sigh

If your board is dead on reboot and you have a floppy you may be able to use what I posted in reply #6
    Sadly, I don't have a floppy, which is why I thought I'd use @bios.

And NEVER USE @BIOS AGAIN
    Lesson learned, I guess. Thanks for your reply.

You could have used a USB stick to flash with, or made a FAT32 partition on a non raid storage drive to flash from.

But you cant use USB for the floppy method mentioned above, unless you make a USB Dos Boot disk, That can be done although I am not sure the Bad BootBlock Flash would work from it. But you can try >>>
    http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=197
    http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm

Only way to find out is to shut down. Maybe you will get lucky.
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 06-27-2008 at 04:16 PM.

You could have used a USB stick to flash with, or made a FAT32 partition on a non raid storage drive to flash from.
    Having read some more about it, I'm vaguely aware of this now, but flashing the BIOS from XP seemed like a much easier solution, and I'm a relative newcomer to all this stuff, so I had no idea there was such danger inherent in using @bios. If I'd known I would never have done it.

But you cant use USB for the floppy method mentioned above, unless you make a USB Dos Boot disk, I think that can be done
    I have a USB flash drive. Do you have any more detail on how I could do this? Thanks again.

Edit: I see you've edited your post with details, much appreciated.

Yeah, First you need to make the USB boot stick, then follow the directions as if it was your floppy from here >>>
    Award 6.0 BIOS - BootBlock Recovery

Although you may be out of luck anyhow with this method for two reasons, one your BIOS would not be set to boot from floppy first (Which it would need to be) since you do not have one. And second, I think further setting changes would need to be made in the BIOS to boot from USB and make it think it was floppy (If even possible).

Yes, I think Gigabyte needs to remove that app period from their motherboard disks, I am sure that at least 50% of the RMA's they get is due to @BIOS

Good luck, you may shutdown and it will recover your BIOS, I see you sighed about RAID. If you have a additional storage drive, you do have better chances with recovery from disk. But shutting down is the only way to find out if you worries are over or not.

Let me know if you need the RMA page

I see you sighed about RAID. If you have a additional storage drive, you do have better chances with recovery from disk.
    Two drives in RAID 0, I'm afraid. Doesn't look good, does it?

Let me know if you need the RMA page
    I will, thanks.

Ahh well I meant a extra additional Hard drive as well as your RAID.

You may be fine, only one way to find out though, I know it sucks!!!

After doing some reading, it appears the GA-P35-DS3P has dual BIOS - is this correct?

Looking on the motherboard, I can see a MAIN_BIOS and BP_BIOS. Does this mean that the motherboard will use the backup BIOS if the main one is corrupt? Is there something I have to activate or similar in order for this to work?

Yes, that is why I said you may get lucky. Sometimes it actually works

No, there is nothing you can do with it, it either works or not. And sometimes it does and sometimes not

Thread Information