Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte X48-DQ6 acting weird.

Default Gigabyte X48-DQ6 acting weird.

Hey all.

Just bought a X48-DQ6 Motherboard paired with 2x2GB of Corsair Dominator PC8500, this was a whole new computer which I'm building myself. Now with the whole computer assembled I tried firing it up and the LED on the MB started flashing and my CPU cooler and other fans started up but after 5 seconds of startup before I can get to BIOS it shuts down and restarts.

After I checked all my plugs and wires I pluged out everything but the MB, CPU, CPU-cooler, graphic card and PSU. Same thing happened...

Since I'm building the computer at my friends place we tried putting my memory sticks into his computer and one of the sticks would boot his computer but the other one was completely dead. So I figured it was just the memory that was bad. So to get my computer up and running we plugged in his memory in my computer which is Corsair Dominators aswell but only 2x1GB sticks. This time it started up and we managed to get to BIOS and installed Windows.

We now proceeded to take the one stick of mine that worked and used it on my motherboard but nothing happened, same restarts again...

We also tried one 2GB stick of A-Data PC6400 memory but wouldn't boot up with that one plugged in either. Now my fear is that both my MB and memory is toast. Since my MB started up ONCE I feel like it's even more frustrating now. Anyone had any similar experiences? No matter what memory I use it keeps restarting and I can't get into BIOS.

P.S Also tried switching PSU and same thing happened D.S

Any help is appreciated!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Gigabyte X48-DQ6 acting weird.

With the other 2x1 sticks go into the BIOS and make some changes in the MIT (Motherboard Intelligent Tweaker) section, this likely needs done because your 2x2 sticks will not run at 1.8V.

So what you need to do is put in the 2x1's or one of them. And hey, while we are at your friends, test both sticks separately into his PC. I think you may have said you did that, if one is dead they you should RMA the package.

Anyhow, on to how you should use them in your board, put in one of the 2x1's or both, go into the overclock section of the BIOS (MIT) and set the following things manually >>>

Ya know, I am not sure what CPU you have so in the memory multiplier section, please for now set to 800 or closer, or the next multi above, you can setup 1066 later one once you get your system setup

Item in BOLD Are IMPORTANT
    Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [AUTO]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00] <<< 800 or close to 1066, may not work till I get some more info to better tell you all settings

DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]
    Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay______5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________18

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ AUTO
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ AUTO
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ AUTO
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 62
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ AUTO
    Static tRead Value_______________ 1-31 or Auto (May need set to 10+)
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 Zero or Auto

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] <<< For 2.1 on your RAM voltage
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] <<< For Stability
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] <<< For Stability
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V-1.50] <<< For Stability
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 06-30-2008 at 03:00 PM.

Thanks for the fast reply, the problem I see is that no memory whatsoever seems to be working on my motherboard. The two 1GB sticks of his we got it working with doesn't seem to work in my motherboard anymore. And neither does the PC6400 from A-Data.

Not that this happened after we managed to fire it up with his sticks once and installed windows + the Gigabyte driver CD that was included. Could it be some driver update on the motherboard that's causing the memory to not compute with my MB?

We could try to clear CMOS while using his sticks that worked and hopefully be able to get my 2GB stick working with the settings you provided. Oh and I have an Intel Core 2 Duo 8400. Sorry I missed that, was kinda tired after last nights adventures with my PC :)

Thanks a lot though, I'll report back when I know more!

Hmm, sounds like your ram is DOA maybe, it happens. Did you test it in his board? I would before doing any further testing as you may just have gotten sent some DOA ram is all

Here is what you should use for now stock for E8400

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [9]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Manual]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.40] 2.4 for 800MHz on the ram, or 3.2 for 1066
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 06-30-2008 at 04:49 PM.

Thanks! As for my memory I had 2x2GB sticks and when we tried them in his computer one of them worked but the other one was out cold. So I need to RMA those asap anyway, only problem now is to get my PC to boot into BIOS.

Everytime I plug in some kind of RAM, may it be 1GB or 2GB from any manufacturer the computer keeps restarting after about 3 seconds. Any good way around this? Since the motherboard worked a few days ago with his memory I suspect some kind of BIOS problem or screw up with the chipset drivers I installed.

If I plug in the A-Data PC6400 memory that I know works on another PC and start it up it just goes into reboot cycle, possible to clear CMOS or some neat trick to maybe get it to boot into BIOS? I don't feel like it's a RMA issue with the board.

Ahh well yeap, you need to RMA that set then. Well you need some type of ram that will boot at 1.8V. Probably the Adata Will, but maybe not. See if you can find some old cheap 533 laying around or something.

You could try putting in 1gb of the Adata. Then unplug the PSU from the wall, then put a Hard drive or optical jumper on the Clear CMOS pins and let your PC set for 10-20 minutes. Then remove the jumper, and plug the PSU back into the wall. Start the PC and if it still is triple booting let it keep doing so until it gets into the BIOS, then load Optimized defaults and then save and apply and reboot (Leave your HARD drive plugged in incase it has to recover BIOS from it). Then go back into BIOS and set the ram voltage to the spec on the ram sticker, usually 2.1

You will have to RMA the set of ram you have a bad stick in so no need trying to use the one now

Ok a small update, after trying starting the computer with one stick of A-Data PC6400 2GB module nothing happened as suspected, same reboot issues and not getting into BIOS. Now I'm only running the easiet setup possible with Motherboard, PSU, Processor and processor cooler, graphics card and one stick of memory.

When I tried taking out the memory stick completely I get the same result as if it was plugged in, and also tried clearing CMOS on the board but it still doesn't boot into BIOS. I'll call the place I ordered it from tomorrow and I'll probably have to RMA it together with the memory and hope I get a new board thats working as it should.

I'll report back when I know more, thanks for all the help so far!

Good luck with your RMA, and sorry this happened to you. Do you have a case speaker? If not try and get one then you should be able to hear for sure what is the problem

I have had a case speaker plugged in the entire time but it doesn't make any sound at all, seems like a bad thing, since it beeped once as it should when I got the computer working that one time.

Hey,
    you say you cleared the CMOS, did you do it with the battery out and the jumper on the two pins for over 5 hours or you just cleared the cmos(what ever that means) ?

I have had no issues with this board and mem, though I've read others have too. Usually it's the four gigs patch and Vista thing.

RMA will take for ever, so I'd try my suggestion first.
    Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information