Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-945GCM-S2C and HDD Problems

Default GA-945GCM-S2C and HDD Problems

Hello.
    I'm having a Strange Problem with my hard disk and this Motherboard. Every time i Turn on the Computer the Motherboard Doesn't not detect the HDD, and the system Becomes Unbootable, the only way i manage to fix it is by Unplugging the SATA cable, Turn on the PC, Then Turn off, then plug it again and turn on. I've tried replacing the SATA cable and still the same problem. and this behavior is completely random. sometimes the pc just boots w/o problems.
    The system's Specs are:

Mobo: GA-945GCM-S2C rev 1.0.
    BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG (F4)
    RAM: 2x 1GB-667Mhz
    Processor: Intel Pentuim Dual Core E2180 Stepping D
    HDD: Maxtor-DiamondMax21 STM3160215AS

i have the latest INF Drivers From intel for that Chipset (945GCM)

Also i haven't yet updated the BIOS leaving that as a last resource, but i'd like to know if there's something else i could try b4 doing that

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-945GCM-S2C and HDD Problems

Have you ran memtest86+ on that ram? I know it sounds random, but that is how rams errors affect you, randomly. >>>
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Other then that, the only thins I could think of would be maybe a failing power supply, or hard drive. Here is a free tool to test hard drive health >>>
    HDDlife® - freeware real-time hard-drive monitoring utility with alerts, malfunction protection and data loss prevention functions. This hard-drive inspector is a proactive hard drive failure detection system that controls 100% of hard-drive risks.
    Or, maybe see what both say >>
    Flash File Recovery download flash recovery software for Windows

To test if it is your PSU, you would just have to have another I suppose, unless you buy a PSU tester. Can you download and install PC Wizard and show me the voltages you see in "Voltage" section as shown in the below Coded Image url, you may have a failing rail >>>

Code:
    http://www.cpuid.com/pics/pcw6.jpg
    CPUID

Thanks for the answer.
    Both test (memtest+86 and HDD health) went ok. showing no problems in there.

As far as the PSU goes. here's the screenshot.

<code>
    http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/j...eenVOltaje.jpg

thankx for your help
    </code>

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Stop using the PSU right now. That is Very bad if those values are correct The 12V is WAY to high, same for the 5V and the 3.3V is way to low

The rails you see 3.3, 5, and 12 should be no more or less then +/-5% (+/-3% much better).

So for the 3.3V ( 3.135 - 3.465) would be acceptable, but not wanted, these are the "upper" +/- 5% values

Same would apply to the 5 and 12 respectively

5V ( 4.75 - 5.25)
    12V (11.4 - 12.6)

Here is a shot of mine from Everest which I posted link below for, just so you get the idea better as to what is a ok range >>>

I installed the same app just to see if I got wacky readings from it on my PC to be sure but it will not work with my CPU, just keeps freezing so I cannot check to see how it reports mine

You could check to see if maybe that app is giving you way off readings as software is not always correct, but generally it is pretty close. That software my be picking up the wrong sensors as that 12v is Very high. Please download this app, and in the Computer, then Sensor section post the image like I have above.

Everest Ultimate Edition >>>
    Everest Ultimate Edition - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com

Note, this will be a trial, so you may not be able to read all values as you can in the freeware app I posted for you before.

The only thing I could say other then this would be maybe your Hard drive has a short in it that those apps just did not pick up.

Thread Information