Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: EX38-DQ6 Silent Pipe Loose

Default EX38-DQ6 Silent Pipe Loose

Hi, I am new to this forum and this is my first post.

I have recently put together a custom system using EX38-DQ6 and 9450 processor. It has been running fine and has stock Intel Heatsink/fan.

I installed extra ram a couple of days ago and while doing that I noticed that the Silent Pipe is not attached to the Northbridge chipset. The silentpipe heatsink assembly seems to float above the chipset solid copper pad with no visible attachment points, adhesive etc. The northbridge copper pad is firmly attached with the connection to the southbridge quite firm. The main Northbridge heatpipe heatsink is in an L shape the only attachment I can find being two nylon spring loaded pins mounted between the cpu and the I/O interface connectors.

While you cannot pull the silent pipe from the board it does not seem to provide a good heat path to the northbridge. If anyone else had this board can they tell me if they have a similar situation.

Any advice welcome..
    Last edited by Harry230; 07-02-2008 at 04:19 PM. Reason: missing information

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: EX38-DQ6 Silent Pipe Loose

Can you take a picture of the front and back of the board? It should be connected to the rear heatsink

Thanks, taking a picture of the rear of the board is a little difficult as it is mounted in case with no easy rear access, the crazy cool is still in place attached to the northbridge and cpu. I will try and take a pix of the front of the board.

The real problem is the heavy silentpipe heatsink that sits on top of the northbridge only seems to contact the metal plate on top of the northbrige via very weak spring tension provided by two nylon spring loaded pins that hold the whole "L" shaped assembley in place. It is definately not connected to the northbridge and I can't see how it would be. I have placed a support request with gigabyte as well so will see what they say.

I have a feeling my board is normal and I was hoping someone else with a similar board could confirm it. My dealer doesn't stock these anymore as they have been overtaken by the ex48 but I may take it back to them for their opinion.

I will post an update or pix as soon as I can.

Those springs hold it to the NB, unless I am understanding you wrong still. A pic would be nice as I think what you are saying is how it should be

There is a small "Spacer" (Like a washer or gasket) around the NB chip itself and between the heatsink and the actual Chip so it does not crush or crack it. IS this maybe why you think it is not touching?

Yes, the springs may not be Super tight, but they are tight enough I assure you anymore and you may crush the spacer and then in turn crack the chip or crush it. It is BARE silicon under there. Some people do however replace the spring clips with nuts and bolts though, but if you decide to do so be careful as the chip will crush very easily

Thanks Lsdmeasap, I think we still have a misunderstanding. I have attached an image "borrowed" from a review site of the EX38-dq6. I have illustrated the image so you may better understand what I am trying to find out.

The photo I hope shows what I mean about the finned silentpipe assembley (L shaped copper pipes with finned heatsinks at each end) only tensioned by two nylon spring loaded fasteners which doesn't seem to allow the northbridge a good heat path because of only light contact.

If someone else has the same board I would appreciate them checking their northbridge silentpipe to see if it is loose as well. Any jar to the board during movement or transport can dislodge the finned heatsink from the solid plate (held in place by two spring loaded metal screws as you say). If it is common then I may have to live with it, or at least try and make a better connection.

Thanks for your interest and help thusfar....
    Attached Images Attached Images EX38-DQ6 Silent Pipe Loose-heatsink-jpg 

Ahh after some looking, I have found what you mean. I to/just about wrote, that is should be all one welded piece on top, but I guess not

Here you can see that it is supposed to be 2 separate pieces on top
    Gigabyte GA X38 DQ6 Blog - Page 2 - Clunk's Forums.

I suppose you could do two things, remove the assembly and remove the thermal tape between the two pieces and put thermal paste. And or remove the assembly springs and replace them with screws.

From the images I posted link to (See page one for linked posts about removing and the assembly itself for better images) The springs should go thru the L part AND thru the NB plate holding them both to the backside

Thanks again that info is useful. I think I know what the problem is now, my unit never had the thermal adhesive/tape applied at manufacture between the finned (attached to the L shape) and the solid copper heatsink plate on top of the northbridge chip. You can see this clearly on the Clunk site link with the disassembled silent pipe, it all appears to be stuck together..

As the board is 5 weeks old I will have a go at warranty, or ask Gigabyte to send thermal adhesive/tape so I can fix it (preferable). My dealer seems to think I could be up for a 5 - 6 week turnaround, which seems a little ridiculous to me.

Yeah, there should be tape between them. I think Gigabyte would likely send you a piece easily. Or if you do not want to wait, ebay has some always.

Hi again,

How long does it take for Gigabyte tech support to respond. I have had tech request in for 3 days with detail of problem and picture similar to above but nothing back from them.

I had asked them for thermal adhesive/tape and maybe a spare screw/nylon fastener or two so I could repair myself.

thanks
    Last edited by Harry230; 07-05-2008 at 12:30 PM.

I don't know honestly. I would just get some of this and be done with it. >>>

Ebay Item #

It is the best

Thread Information