Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-MA78GM-S2H, Catalyst 8.6 and Live TV

Default GA-MA78GM-S2H, Catalyst 8.6 and Live TV

I upgraded from Catalyst 8.5 to 8.6 and my system became unstable. The HD sound over HMDI intermittently wouldn't load and switching to Live TV in Vista Media Centre would give a quick burst of audio with black screen and then freeze up the computer and require a hard reboot.

Thinking that something had corrupted, I formatted and reinstalled Vista, applied all available updates and installed the most recent drivers for my hardware including fresh downloads of Catalyst 8.6 and the Realtek HD and HMDI drivers.

The disappearing HMDI seemed to be fixed but Live TV still locked up. Three reboots confirmed that the issue wasn't fixed by a rebuild. Vista's problems and solutions control panel had three entries listing an issue with the graphics driver.

I uninstalled Catalyst 8.6 and installed 8.5. Rebooted and bingo! No more issues with Live TV. A google around for issues with 8.6 and video playback turned up posts on other forums (including the Ati's forums) regarding issues with 8.6 and VC-1 playback.

Has anyone else had these issues and does anyone know how to fixed them? Or is 8.6 screwed?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-MA78GM-S2H, Catalyst 8.6 and Live TV

8.6 is likely screwed up, wait till 8.7 or use 8.5 until you hear it is fixed in 8.7 or 8.8

Default Re: GA-MA78GM-S2H, Catalyst 8.6 and Live TV

I have had nothing but problems with video on this board, to the point i added a 3450HD card and disabled the onboard video. The decoder cannot handle decoding of anything other that h264-- i thought it could be a codec issue but it's not, it now works fine the the HD3450. To make it worst, i cannot update the display driver to 8.7- as it seems gigabyte tweeked the chipset and when installing 8.7 i endup with a XP blackscreen. booting safe mode will show 8.7 does not recognize the device and doesn't load drivers for it. I have another 780G from another company and doesn't have those problems, but that one too cannot handle decoding for to long without crashing-- hopefully better drivers will be available soon :-)

Thread Information