Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't overclock on EX38-DQ6

Default Can't overclock on EX38-DQ6

Hey, sorry for bothering you guys, my first overclock here. I've read many threads and thought i would give it a shot.
    I'm running a Q9450 with 4GB G.Skill DDR2-1066 ram on a Gigabyte EX38-DQ6 and tried to overclock through the BIOS.
    FSB : DRAM is set to 1:1. FSB is currently 333mhz, making my cpu 2.66ghz and ram 667mhz. I've tried to increase the fsb to 375, which should give me a 3ghz speed, but it didn't work. I then lowered it down to 350 which should be able to give me 2.8ghz on stock voltage right? Nope, didn't work. I've even tried 338mhz. That didn't work either. I don't really want to muck around with it any longer but is there something i'm doing wrong?
    I believe CPU voltage is set at 1.2/1.125 (different programs = different values) I think BIOS shows 1.23750. HWMonitor 1.2. Coretemp 1.125. CPU-Z 1.2. Everest 1.125.
    DDR2 voltage is 2.0V
    Multiplier is 8x
    FSB : DRAM is 1:1
    C1E and E1ST or whatever are both turned off...
    BIOS is version F2...the latest non beta BIOS
    If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Advanced BIOS features
    http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/DSC00067.JPG

M.I.T. 1
    http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/DSC00068.JPG

M.I.T. 2
    http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/DSC00069.JPG

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Can't overclock on EX38-DQ6

2x2GB (G.Skill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK, 2x2GB, DDR2, DIMM, DDR21066)
    Specs

Cheers

Sorry for the LATE reply I was gone until now

Ok, Are you using the Stock Intel fan or a better one? As temps do matter for sure when overclocking, especially with a quad so keep a eye on them

Here is where I would suggest you start for 3GHz, Be sure EIST and C1E are disabled first as I see you have them >>>

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [375]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.50] << = 937MHz for now until you find where you want to keep it at, then you can think about using a different multi or higher FSB such as 400 FSB for 3.6 with ram at 1000 using 2.5 Multi

DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]
    Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV]
    CPU Clock Skew Control [normal]
    GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal]

CAS Latency Time________________5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 15/18

Start with the highest settings, moving Later ONE at a time, testing after each Single move

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-4
    Rank Write to READ Delay________9-11
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 11-14
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 52-62
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 4-6
    Static tRead Value_______________ 7-10
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 << Leave on Auto, Zero, or 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] = 2.1V
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] <<< For Stability, you can likely lower later if you like
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] <<< For Stability
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V - +.125V / +.15V] <<< For Stability, but for sure needed for 2x2 and may need the upper range for 2x2 @1066

LoadLine Calibration [Enabled]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25-1.35] <<< This is something only you can find out what will work. Some chips get to 3GHz at stock 1.215 and some do not. Just keep bumping it until you find it is stable.

I would personally start at 1.3 or so and if stable see if you can lower it and keep it that way, if not you will need to raise it a bit. And here is where temps come into play as well. In order for you to be stable and possibly use less volts you need a good cooler. Just keep a eye on temps, and Calibrate and Use RealTemp if you are not already (YOU MUST CALIBRATE IT) >>>
    Real Temp - Documentation & Calibration
    techPowerUp! :: Download Real Temp 2.60

Some/most chips will do 3.6 or so at about 1.35 +/- Depending on all other variables
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 07-03-2008 at 06:36 PM.

Thanks for that. A few questions though...

1) My System Memory Multiplier (SPD) has a numerical value and then either the letter A,B,C or D next to it. Apparently each letter represents a FSB value ranging from I believe 233mhz > 400mhz. Does it matter which letter value I use?

2) When you say Start with the highest settings, moving Later ONE at a time, testing after each Single move are you referring to ram latencies ie
    CAS Latency Time
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)

or the following?

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)
    Rank Write to READ Delay
    Write to Precharge Delay
    Refresh to ACT Delay
    Read to Precharge Delay
    Static tRead Value
    Static tRead Phase Adjust

3) (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V - 1.25V / 1.5V] <<< For Stability, but for sure needed for 2x2 and may need the upper range for 2x2 @1066 Does that mean +0.1v? What does the 1.25v/1.5v mean?

Cheers

1. You will just need to test each, and it will vary depending on your FSB which is best or if you even are presented with the options. Here is some reading on these straps I just posted for someone else, just incase you wanted some more to read

They are FSB straps. Here is a well written explanation for that >>>

Your north bridge has an internal clock speed and latencies just like your CPU and memory. The FSB of your north bridge can be found by dividing your original CPU multiplier by your set CPU multiplier and then multiplying by your FSB.

So if you are running a E6600 (266 * 9) at 400Mhz x 8 your NB FSB is:

(9 / 8) x 400 = 450Mhz FSB (1800Mhz Total)

Just like your memory may be able to run at 4-4-4-12 at 1000Mhz but needs to run at 5-5-5-15 at 1200Mhz, your north bridge has a series of latencies which it must adjust in order to maintain stability at its FSB. These latencies seem to play a far more significant role in system performance than memory latencies.

Intel has predefined specific latencies at specific NB FSB speeds. They are referred to as straps. There is a strap for when the NB FSB is 1066Mhz and under, 1333Mhz FSB and under, 1600Mhz FSB and under, ect. When you go from the 1066Mhz FSB strap to the 1333Mhz FSB strap, the north bridge's internal latencies loosen to allow for greater stability.

ASUS has redefined the NB strap so that the 1333Mhz FSB strap does not come into effect until 401Mhz FSB (1604Mhz). Other perimeters of straps are someone unknown.

Tony, the guy who pretty much figured all this out and he works for OCZ. He is now a lobbyist trying to get ASUS and other major motherboard manufacturers to give the end user the control of when straps start.

There are 2 ways to beat the NB strap:

1. Boot to windows in the 1066Mhz strap and then use Clockgen to increase your CPU's FSB. You can then get to a much higher FSB while maintaining the 1066Mhz strap simply because the BIOS does not adjust the north bridge's latencies in real time.
    2. Get a X6800 or QX6700 (or even a ES chip). To the north bridge, you are always at a default multiplier with a Extreme Edition processor. This allows you to set a much lower or higher multiplier without the NB FSB being effected.
    And here is some more reading, based of the 965 chipset, but will aslo give you some info
    Secrets of the i965 based Asus P5B and chipset strap uncovered. - The Tech Repository Forums

2. I was referring only to the subtimings, with 1066 you will need to leave the CAS settings at 555, but you can test the last one 15/18 with each later if you like

3. I meant, you may need to try each MCH value, +.10V or +.125V or +.150V or more maybe until you find a stable spot. Sorry for miswritting the voltage values with decimals in the wrong place, will fix that now

I would use +.125 or +.15 for now until you get into tweaking your ram timings and such

Best to set all the ram settings to highest and mess with the ram subtimings last. Get your CPU stable and where you want to keep it first
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 07-03-2008 at 06:36 PM.

Ok thanks for that. I will try that asap. I want to overclock to at least 3ghz stable...if that works then i'm alright with staying at that speed. An overclock to that speed wouldn't shorten the lifespan of components that much right?

As for you previous question regarding the cpu cooler...i've actually got a zalman 9700 cooler, not the stock intel one. At stock speeds with real temp...the max temp for the hottest core reaches about 42 degrees celsuis, so i presume temps are safe for overclocking?

Thanks for your help so far :)

No, you would be fine with that overclock as long as your temps are good.

And yeap, those do look like great temps

Good luck in your overclocking, and keep in mind it is not a easy thing to do and does not happen in a day. I suggest you Use the BIOS profiles and make two or more, one you know is stable to use when you dont have time to mess with things, and another for trying to find your overclock. F11 is save on the main page of the BIOS and F12 is load. Just make some changes and save one as Normal or default, and then save your other as overclock area or soemthing

Damn, don't know why but FSB doesn't seem to want to change...I've even loaded optimized defaults and turned off C1E, EIST as well as changed ram voltage to +0.2v, then adjusting the FSB...with every other setting on default...but it doesn't work :(
    Is there something i'm doing wrong here?

My Advanced Options
    http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/DSC00074.JPG

MIT BEFORE
    http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/DSC00075.JPG
    http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/DSC00076.JPG

MIT AFTER (with settings you suggested)
    http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/DSC00077.JPG
    http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/DSC00078.JPG
    After those changes I then proceeded to save+exit by pressing F10. Computer restarts a couple of times, then all settings are back to default...
    Last edited by EviLClouD; 07-04-2008 at 08:42 PM.

Your after Images are NOT the settings I suggested. Firstly? Everything is on AUTO. But I suspect that is after your double/triple reboot to default cycle right?

You need to set things as I said above, .2 on the ram is not going to be enough, and AUTO is also not going to work on the subtimings for 2x2GB of ram, set everything As I suggested above, not parts of it.

And keep in mind your CPU voltage will also give you the reboot cycle to default if it is not enough, so unless you are sure you only need 1.3 to boot and be stable for what you are trying then use more

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information