Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ga-ma78gm-s2h Doa??

Default Re: Ga-ma78gm-s2h Doa??

I don't think the RAM is bad, although I originally thought the MB was. After flashing the BIOS, I got a post video error. Since I already had an RMA from Newegg, I went ahead and sent ithe MB back for a replacement and will try again with DDR800.

I have since read that people with the ATX version of this board report that socket AM2+ works at 1066, but not the AM2 (which I have). I'll report back later when I'm ready to try again.

I was in a hurry to order and get a system working; I should have done more research ahead of time and avoided some of these problems. Live and learn.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Don't want to open another thread about this board, so I hope you won't mind me posting here. I recently built a system with this board paired with 5000+ Black Edition and 2 gigs of 800 MHz RAM. Everything works just fine, fast and without any hickups. The only thing that bothers me is the usual heat problem people are having with this board, apearently the northbridge gets smoking hot! Everest shows 85 C in standby! Wanted to know if drenit23 has similar readings? The board is 1.0 revision, apearently Gigabyte has rev. 1.1 of this board out, the difference seems to be in a larger northbridge heatsink.

Hmm, that is hot!

What you could do is first redo the thermal paste, many boards I have done always either have way too much paste and or Not enough coverage with way too much paste!

Second, you could buy a Extreme Spirit II ($20) I used one on a 965P board and it took temps from 58 down to 34. Worked GREAT and looked very nice, and a decent price as well

People on other forums are reporting similar readings, even after scraping the garbage under the heatsink and applying arctic silver/and or replacing the stock heatsink with aftermarkt heatsinks. I figure it must be a bogus reading, only Gigabyte support won't give you any straight answer on that temp reading. IMHO, issuing a 1.1 rev of this board with a larger heatsink GB has silently admited that there's indeed a heat problem with this board. Well, using a good old finger-on-heatsink method, the thing feels really hot but if it really was 85+ C, or even over 100C stressed, I dont think I would still have any skin on my finger. Maybe Lsdmeasap can find out directly from GB what that reading stands for, is it the northbrigde, the mosfets or something else?

Well them replacing with a different heatsink may not help much depending on if they choose a good one or not. There are many that would be just as bad as a stock one

I do not speak with GB directly, just Janus in Email every now and again is all.

What does Everest show this temp labeled as? And what does EasyTune label this temp as?

It is likely the NB, but as you suspect it could be off a bit(or large bit in this case) as I think 65C+ would for sure be burning your finger after a few seconds

Everest shows this temp as CPU allthough it shows both cores at 15-16C. AMD Overdrive doesen't even show this temp, so is the board's BIOS. The BIOS shows same temp for CPU cores as Everest and CoreTemp does. Don't think I would still have a CPU if this temp was correct ;-)) I think this temp might be the mosfets as they get pretty darn hot on touch, can't hold my finger longer than 2-3 seconds. When you ask the GB support about this temp, they say just don't worry about that, it has been tested, just keep eye on your CPU and keep it under 60 C.

WOW well it surely is not CPU, and that is also Surely not your core temps either. BIOS has to be wrong as well unless you are sitting in the snow with your board laying in it as well

What does EasyTune show? NB is normally System Temp in EasyTune, and Motherboard in Everest

I would say the both cores temps are correct since the BIOS and other software report the same, the temp varies from 15-16 to 20-25. CPU is cooled with AC Freezeer 64 PWM @ avg. 1500-1600 RPM. The System temp in BIOS is around 40-45C. The Brisbane 5000+ BE is on stock 200x13, but when i bump up the multiplier, the temps go up as well. As for EasyTune, I don't use it since I really don't need it and don't like that kind of flashy/colorful software. I might give it a try just to see the temp readings this afternoon and I'll let you know.

I disagree unless your house is Below 60F which is 16C. Your CPU cannot be colder then your house unless you have LN2 or some other crazy cooling which you do not.

System temp Looks to me to be your NB from what you say you see in the BIOS

Yeah, I do not use or suggest it at all either, just suggested it as a NB comparison point, it will be System Temp in it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information