Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ga-ma78gm-s2h Doa??

Default Re: Ga-ma78gm-s2h Doa??

Well, my bad, sorry, been doing too many things at once...You got the point there, hence we all know how well has AMD done with temp readings on Brisbane core ;-) Tonight when I get home, I'll test it with any software I can get and post the temperatures. Cheers!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

No need to apologize I didn't mean to come off sounding like I was putting you down or anything like that, I just wanted to make sure you knew that incase some other High temp was too high yet you thought it may be ok because of the OFF readings.

Speedfan is also good, but you do have to configure it. And with readings like this is may be kinda hard

I have 2 of the boards and they both register super high temps on that diode. I think its VERY far off from whats actually happening. I put a Thermalright HR-05 on one of them, and the temp didn't budge. So I think its a calibration problem with that diode in firmware, some kind of offset or something. I just ignore it.

The Northbridge is indeed hot, but its not that bad.

The biggest problem with that northbridge cooler is that the mounting holes are 75mm apart, which is nearly impossible to find something that fits that spacing. I had to make a mishmash of parts from a CM blue ice pro and some of the Thermalright mounting components. Plus, there are some components that get in the way of a simple mounting process.

I think the Evercool Serpent will fit. I just ordered one of those. Will let you know. They are cheap here in the states too.

With AMD processors, there is a sensor that returns a value that is used to calculate CPU temp. I am using CPUID Hardware Monitor, and it currently shows this value as TMPIN2 = 81C. This is normal.

For K-8 processors, the CPU temp, which is different from the core temps, is calculated by subtracting 49C from the sensor value. For more on this subject, there is a simple explanation on the following page (CoreTemp is a freeware HW monitor):

Core Temp - How it works

For a more detailed discussion, try:

Core Temp

OD

Thank you nanohead, that was the answer I was looking for! Many people on other forums say they've put an aftermarkt cooler on that northbridge, but noone reports what happens with the temp readings afterwards, people must be imbarresed to admit it didn't help? I should just stop bothering that temp, if it works, don't fix it, right? We just get obsessed with stuff sometimes...

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MyJoy View Post
    Thank you nanohead, that was the answer I was looking for! Many people on other forums say they've put an aftermarkt cooler on that northbridge, but noone reports what happens with the temp readings afterwards, people must be imbarresed to admit it didn't help? I should just stop bothering that temp, if it works, don't fix it, right? We just get obsessed with stuff sometimes...
    I have 2 of this boards with 780G chipset;they get really hot, the Gigabyte one even more so. I put a 92mm fan not to far from the northbrigde and seems to help, HWCPUID (tmpin3) now reads 82-83C under heavy load, would go way into the 90's alot of times.
    Maybe not related, but i was getting alot of video driver crashes (ATI2VDAG), after the fan installed seemed to be better, may temp had something to do with it.
    Read somewhere, this chipset can handle 100C no problem, and as much as 125C, from what i understand- the heatsink getting hot is a good thing :-) (i'm sure was a AMD eng. you wrote that)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information