Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ga-ma78gm-s2h Doa??

Default Ga-ma78gm-s2h Doa??

It appears I have a DOA board. I get no display, no POST, no beeps, just slowly spinning fans. I've double and triple checked connections, errant grounding, and reseated RAM and CPU. System is as follows:

MB: Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H v1.0
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
    RAM: GSkill 2x2GB PC8500 DDR2 1066

It's been a while since I built a system. Any reason not to get an RMA?

Default Re: Ga-ma78gm-s2h Doa??

Try a different power supply unit?
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Thanks, I tried another PS earlier.

Just tried using 1 DIMM and it posts. I'll try flashing the bios to F5 and see if both DIMM's work, otherwise I'll be returning the DDR1066 for DDR800. The note in the manual about using DDR1066 should be revised to say "use at your own risk"!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Well 2x2 needs different settings then 2x1 or 4x1 maybe you need to add some refresh cycle timings. I am not sure what it is called in a AMD board but most I have seen do not even allow you to go high enough to use 2x2 properly. It would be the highest number in the subtimings. Most AMD boards I have seen allow 12-20ish, and you need 52 or so to run 2x2 properly.

So your better bet would be to RMA that ram and get 4x1 if you need 4GB

DO NOT USE @BIOS to flash your bios, use Qflash and a floppy or USB stick

I used Q-flash for the F5 BIOS and it said it updated successfully, but now I get a "no display" POST code (1 long, 2 short) when the display was working before. I have a fancy paperwight now, and I'm back to where I started on the RMA.

I'll also probably try 2x1 or 4x1 of DDR800. Any particular brand or timings known to work well? Gigabyte's list of tested RAM is pretty small.

I have the same board, and I got that same post code of 1L+2S after adding some new RAM. Turns out I had accidentally bumped the vid card and it was loose in its slot.

OD

I was using the on-board video and tried re-connecting and re-seating everything. I even tried a separate video card, but you can't override on-board video in the BIOS if it won't post.

Either way, the mb is on its merry way back. I'll try again with DDR800 and a new mb.

Here's the RAM I'm looking at:
    G.SKILL (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) PN F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ
    <TABLE class=specification cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=name>Timing</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('5-5-5-15'));</SCRIPT>5-5-5-15 </TD></TR><TR><TD class=name>Voltage</TD><TD class=desc><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>document.write(neg_specification_newlin e('1.8V - 2.0V'));</SCRIPT>1.8V - 2.0V </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Is this a good choice?

I've also seen some people say the 125W X2 6000+ may be problematic with this board. Should I cut my losses now and swap out the CPU or try it?

I can't comment on the CPU Choice as I have mo clue about AMD but I can say G.Skill will work well with a GA board.

Again, are you Sure those sticks you have are not DOA? If they are not you could Underclock them to 800 or so and not need such a high Refresh Value. But then again you would possibly still need a higher value then your board will allow. How high will it let you set things? As even with 2x1 you need 38 or so normally. But then again I am not so sure with a AMD board

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information