Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: onboard NIC disappeared on GA-P35-DS4 2.0 board

Cool onboard NIC disappeared on GA-P35-DS4 2.0 board

this is some weird stuff
    i had spent all afternoon installing aftermarket cooler on my 8800GTX...(highly recommended btw)
    so i plug the card in, but then i had to move the SATA cables because it now blocks 2 of the SATA slots
    so i changed the boot setting in teh BIOS, and it booted up fine
    but then i notice, there is no internet
    i try reinstalling the drivers, but there is still nothing in the network section in teh Control Panel
    there is not anything under 'network adapters' in Device Manager either
    i have tried 'add new hardware' as well, with no result
    its possible i jerked the ethernet cord there while i was working on the computer, but the socket looks ok and the lights are still blinking on it as normal
    anyone have any ideas on how to get Windows XP to redetect the onboard NIC?
    thanks
    Intel Core2Duo E6750 @ 3.52Ghz ('Conroe') - stock voltage!
    Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 rev. 2.0
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Desktop Memory - Newegg 'Lanfest' edition
    (running 5:6 at 527mhz on stock voltage +.05)
    74G WD Raptor 10,000RPM
    BFG 8800GTX OC
    M-Audio Revolution 5.1
    Seasonic S12 600W PSU
    Intel® PRO/1000 PT Gigabit lan

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: onboard NIC disappeared on GA-P35-DS4 2.0 board

Hmm very strange, I was about to suggest maybe you bumped it loose or bumped and broke something onboard while you was in there but sounds like that is not it.

You have used the system previous right? If so and it worked then for starters I would go into Safe Mode and reinstall the latest Intel Inf Driver install package first >>>
    Download Software, Drivers and Utilities Filters

Then I Reboot back into Safe Mode and go in device manager and Uninstall all network related drivers. Then reboot back into safe mode ( I say this so many times, because if you boot normal windows will try to install the driver that was not working or causing the issue) and download and install the latest Driver for your Onboard NIC/LAN >>>
    GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - Driver - GA-P35-DS4 (rev. 2.0)

Then finally after installing that in safe mode, reboot to BIOS and be sure it is enabled and then get back into normal windows and see if you have any luck yet.

If that does not work, the next thing I would try would be a windows file repair scan/fix, and after that a In Place, repair install. Both are easy to do, and both would leave your system as it is aside from a few settings, and you would have to reinstall all windows updates again is all. Let me know if we get to this point, and if you would like to know how to do the Windows File Checker and Repair, we'll try that first

By the way SP3 yet or no?

yes the system has been fine since its construction last october
    i have already installed the latest Intel chipset drivers since the problem occurred, as well as reinstalled the Marvell lan drivers
    As far as the bios, i havent been able to find any setting to enable/disable the onboard LAN, only firewire and such
    i have updated the bios to F12 and done optimized defaults, which should certainly have any lan setting i cant find to 'on' hehe
    I will be reinstalling XP in the next month or two, so we can see if that changes things
    The main weird thing here is how windows suddenly decided i didnt have a NIC at all...its not like it was listed under network adapters but not working correctly, and it worked perfectly normal before i had reinstalled teh vga card
    Its possible i strained/borked the connector from the mobo while working on other stuff inside the case...i did leave teh cord connected while i was moving it around
    I was just curious if anyone had run into something like this...it is bizarre ;)

PS yes this is Windows XP SP3 install
    Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Desktop Memory - Newegg 'Lanfest' edition
    74G WD Raptor 10,000RPM
    BFG 8800GTX OC
    M-Audio Revolution 5.1
    Seasonic S12 600W PSU

Try this in your BIOS, on the MAIN page hit Control + F1 and then the screen will flash then go into Integrated Peripherals and you Should see the LAN settings as shown here >>>

As for the drivers, not doing it the way I suggested may not help you at all. If they are installed or configured during the install/reinstall wrong reinstalling them will not help unless you fully uninstall them in Safe Mode and Reinstall them in Safe Mode. Yes, sometimes this is not necessary, but when you are having issues it is the best way to do things.

Yeah, you could have bumped something loose, have you wiggled it all to make sure it is snug now?

Being as you do not have a 45NM CPU, maybe you could try F11 again and see if it helps, but both should have the above settings in the BIOS (And they should not be hidden and make you have to use the Ctrl + F1 hotkeys to see them). If you do not after what I suggested above I would have to think that maybe you did Bump something loose or damage some of the hardware in there somehow

Ya, if I was you I would setup a Dual Boot into a separate partition and see how that install works. If it all works fine, then I would just delete that dual setup and do a In Place repair over install of your existing windows

hehe thanks for the info
    i dont have any lan settings in the BIOS before or after ctrl-F1 with bios F6 and F12
    i know i have seen them there before also
    it goes right from 'Onboard H/W 1394' to 'Smart LAN', which has nothing in its submenu
    im pretty sure that i have borked the LAN connection somehow after all this hehe

anyhoo, i have shelled out for one of those PCI-E Intel Gigabit nic cards, which is sposed to knock the pants off the Marvell nics anyhow

thanks for all your efforts :)
    74G WD Raptor 10,000RPM
    BFG 8800GTX OC
    M-Audio Revolution 5.1
    Seasonic S12 600W PSU

I had this same problem some times ago, and i had to reset BIOS to get ny NIC back to work.
    E6300
    EP35-DS4
    Corsair XMS2 2x1Gb PC6400 (Promos)
    2x200Gb Barracuda sata Raid 0
    1x200Gb Barracuda sata
    Club 3D HD3850 OC
    Nexus NX-5000

Ya, you should try to properly clear the CMOS before deciding you broke something. Unplug the PSU from the wall and put a Hard drive/optical jumper on the Clear CMOS pins and let it set for 20 minutes or so, then remove the jumper and plug the PSU back into the wall and start it up and load Optimized defaults and save and apply and reboot and then go into the BIOS and see if it is there. If it is, go ahead and make all your needed changes again and get in windows again and make sure all is well.

If not you may have broke it moving things around in there

The computer doesn't have to be connected to the network for the on board NIC to be installed. Windows will detect the presence of the NIC hardware and install the drivers. The problem you have is that Windows doesn't detect the existence of the NIC. The fact that the lights flash on the connector, but Windows doesn't see it and doesn't show up in the CMOS configuration suggests a BIOS problem.

With my EP35-DS3R I had a few days when Windows would see the on board NIC, but couldn't connect through it to the network. I put in an old PCI NIC, and connected fine, then tried the on board NIC a week later and it worked fine again. (!?)

as a final followup, got that Intel PCI-E gigabit nic, and it really blows the onboard nic's performance out of the water...35 bucks at T***r Direct
    worth it for those getting every edge possible for that online gaming stuff :)

thanks for everyones responses
    74G WD Raptor 10,000RPM
    BFG 8800GTX OC
    M-Audio Revolution 5.1
    Seasonic S12 600W PSU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information