Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Failed Memtest with DSL3 and Crucial Ballistix 800Mhz

Default Re: Failed Memtest with DSL3 and Crucial Ballistix 800Mhz

Good Evening,
    I was able to decrease the Rank Write to Read Delay to 6 without any Memtest errors. I stopped to try to see what is happening with the memory bandwidth and found little change - even some scores a possibly insignificant amount less than before. I ran Everest - I tried to paste a screen print below - like it appeared you did above - but without success. I even pasted it first to a notepad to see if that would work; but alas not. Is there a secret to it or do you just have higher authorizations? The other day I did post from an Excel spreadsheet and it seemed to post OK as an object - but then it said I had used up 26,000 words and only 10,000 was the max. Actually I think I had posted only a couple hundred words.

So here are the results:

-----------------READ--------WRITE--------COPY----------Latency
    -----------------MB/s---------MB/s----------MB/s------------ns
    memory----------6959--------TRIAL VER.---TRIAL VER-------72.1
    L1 cach--------TRIAL VER-----47,847----------95,690--------1.0
    L2 cache-------18,811--------14,475----------22,157----TRIAL VER

CPU type:------DualCore Intel Core Duo E8400 (Wolfdale, LGA775)
    CPU clock:----3000.0 MHz (original:[TRIAL VERSION] MHz)
    CPU FSB:-----333.3 MHZ (orignal: 333 MHZ)
    CPU multiplier: 9x
    Memory Bus ______400 MHz
    DRAM: FSB Ratio:_12:10
    Memory type:_____Dual channel DDR2-800 SDRAM (4-4-4-12 CR2)
    Chipset:__________Intel Bearlake P35
    Motherboard______[Trial Version]

Isn't the read speed lower than one would expect?
    Could there be any power saving functions in affect during test that I need to turn off?

Rocky

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

To use Print screen button and post a screenshot you have to use Print screen, then paste into WORDPAD not notepad. I personally use Hypersnap it is a screenshot apps, but the above way I mentioned works as well. Then just save the image as a Jpeg or PNG, then upload it to Imageshack DOT us, or Tinypic DOT com, or Photobucket DOT com. Then get the Direct Image URL (Not the ones that say for forums or boards, the direct URL one that is just a url with no codes) and put it here into img tags like so (Quote this post and you will see in the reply if you do not understand what I meant) >>>

[img]Direct URL of Image goes here[/img]

Do you have EIST and C1E off? If so then no, no power saving is going on. I cant really say what you should expect with your CPU at 3Ghz and using that ratio to run your ram at 800, but yes that does look low kinda. But again I am not so sure as I have not ran 800Mhz for a while, been using 850 and 900 for the past year or more. Your latency is high (Which also means the hidden write and copy are likely low as well), so I expect you do have some things that could still be needing adjustment. Have you tried using 7 instead of 6 on tRead to see if it helps. Lower is not always better, but that one usually is but you never know

My suggestion to you would be to overclock your CPU to where you want it first and then get your ram straight. Like run your CPU at 3.6 and ram at 800 for a 1:1 (2.00) ratio. TO do that and keep your ram stable until you find stable settings for your CPU you would likely not even need to mess with the ram settings for now as you have them stable. You would only be changing your CPU and FSB freq, and may need more vcore/fsb is all

OK, Pre Post edit, shut down and did some quick testing for you, so you could get a "Guess" as to what you should be expecting. Although your results may not be as good because of Crucial using different chips then Mushkin and my sticks may just have more actual bandwidth per chip then those you have. But anyway took a few minutes and made a few scaled images for you, 800, 850, 900, and 1000 Using 8 Multi and 500 FSB(2000) all using 1:1 (2.00) Ratios.

Some of them may be off a bit as I just jumped in and did not spend any time tweaking any of them so they could likely be better. The 4.05 one is what I run 24/7 (which is likely why the copy is better then the 1000 I have it tweaked a little bit) as of now until I get a better Radiator then I plan to run 4.2 or so likely

Just so you know, your CPU is the same as mine and I did run 4GHZ on Air for a month or two before going to water, so you can surely run 3.6 with no problem!!!

800 @ 3.6

850 @ 3.825

900 @ 4.05 What I use daily

1000 @ 4.00

Thanks again.

I increased the Rank Write to Read delay to 8. It had a neglible affect on memory and L1 cache, but increased L2 read, write and copy by about 10%, 5% and 5%, respectively.

Other than the above, Everest and Sandra still report what I think are low memory scores. Strangely, PCPitStop returns a stat of 15.8 GB/s compared to an earlier score of 10.3 Gb/s and a reference group of 11.3 GB/s.

Thanks for the overclock suggestion - I will try it too, but first I have to spend some time installing some more devices - tape drive, card reader, and sound card - load software, and transfer data and settings.

That may just all be the ram man, Crucial is not the best anymore for sure. Again, Personal opinion by way of usage/tests

I do not have any 800Mhz Crucials or I would test them for you and see what it should be, so could be that maybe that is just the best those will do.

I can tell you that you are not going to get the higher scores you see above

Where exactly is this PCPitStop URL, I went and looked around and only see the performance scan and of course tried it and it does not show ram score. SO which does is what I am asking? Just want to check it out

Do you game? If so have you seen this site, I think it is kinds cool, lets you know if you can run most all games or not with a Minimum Pass/Fail section and a Recommended Pass/fail section shown for each game >>>
    Can You RUN It?

Well good luck with getting all your stuff installed, Ill see ya around

Good evening,
    Regarding pcpitstop.com:
    On the main page: PC Pitstop: Free PC Diagnostics, computer help and Tuneups
    I click on the "Full Test" - on the left side about half way down the page, and run the test by clicking the various approvals to run - I run it anonymously.
    When the test is complete and the results presented, select the "Performance tab" near the top then just scroll down the new page to about 10 lines from the bottom to "Memory Performance". NOte that this is a ways below "Memory Check" which only reports the amount of memory. The former reports a single number as the speed of the memory. Clicking on the cell takes you to another page that gives a "normal result" for comparison; it does not explain either number or how it determines what is normal.

I just ran it again and it reported 15,375 MB/s and a normal result of 11,265 MB/s.

For my 3 year old dell with 3 GB of 667 MHz memory it reports a performance result of only 7,810 and normal of 7,500 MB/s.

By the way, I ran Memtest again for 8 hours and 12 passes and still stable.

I am not a gamer at the moment - I just play some card games online. I am afraid if I started I would get addicted.

Back in my earlier days - about 30 years ago - I played the little moon lander game on the HP67 (if I recall the number right now) - the first programmable calculator. However even then I went for the cheats and astounded my friends when I could zoom to the surfact and stop abruptly and safely. Actually I had reprogammed it so hitting one key made a perfect landing.

A little later a friend and I were almost an unbeatable pair on pong - playing the version built into a table at our neighborhood bar before many had PC's. He and I could hold the table for hours against challengers, making them pay the 50 cents per game.

Later I got a joystick for my second Apple computer and played a game with a ground support airplane - mostly doing bombing runs - I really enjoyed it even tho the play on my computer - I think it was about 66MHz - was very choppy. When I upgraded to a 266MHz Gateway computer, I purposely did not get a PC compatible joystick to protect myself.

But one of these days I am going to cross-over....

Just for testing purposes I went to the site you listed. I checked three games: MS Flight Simulator X, Call of Duty 4, and Star Wars Battlefront II. My PC past all three at the recommended level, with most components scoring at the highest level. Only my video card - 7900 GS - barely surpassed at the recommended level. However it appears that for memory it only checked the amount and not the speed.

I have not tried to overclock yet but will soon.

Cool, thanks. Ya know though all benchmarks even though they appear to say they are testing the same thing will give varied results just because of the different testing methods/variables used

Here is my results of that test, no normal (I guess that means no one else has tested any Mushkins there?) >>>

Glad I ran that, Almost forgot I have a deleted partition I need to add back into my RAID array, will retest afterwards. And Gotta do a defrag first as well, 13% Ouch!
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 07-14-2008 at 03:28 PM.

Ahh not much better

And I still dont know why Normal is not shown for the ram, as this is my second test so I dont think it was not shown because of mushkins having not been scanned in since I scanned in there a while ago. Got any clue about that?

I have a real similar situation and I hope you can help me out as well. Just put a new rig together with a gigabyte GA-EP45c-DS3R, e7200, ati 4850 and 2x1GB crucial ballistix tracer, but I have 1066 @ 5-5-5-15 instead of the 800s. I'm new to advanced bios tweaking as this is by far the most advanced board I've ever owned. Got a really good deal on the tracers so I'd very much like to get them working proper and not have to RMA for another brand. Currently I've got everything up and running, seems perfectly stable in windows with desktop, games and net apps, but the RAM fails memtest+ everytime, usually within the first 10 minutes. I would greatly appreciate if you could post the values for items that I need to set differently from what was suggested for the original poster (accounting for hardware and chipset differances) and I can pull the rest from the first reply. Thanks in advance.

Are you using the newest Memtest86+? I ask because some users have boot disks or just old versions, and they are not compatible with P35 and above. Here is the page if you need the latest >>>

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

As for settings, please fill out this with what you are using, and I will suggest back >>>>

This is Just a template I use to ask people their settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
    Robust Graphics Booster ...............:
    CPU Clock Ratio ..........................:
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0
    CPU Frequency ...........................:

Clock Chip Control
    Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: Mhz
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
    CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<<
    PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<<
    CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<<
    MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<<

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
    System Memory Multiplier ..............:
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............:
    DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time........................
    tRCD .........................................
    tRP'...........................................
    tRAS..........................................

Advanced Timing Control
    tRRD...........................................
    tWTR..........................................
    tWR............................................
    tRFC...........................................
    tRTP...........................................
    Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

Channel A
    Static tRead Value.........................:7-10
    tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
    tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
    tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Channel B
    Static tRead Value.........................:7-10
    tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
    tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
    tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto

Motherboard Voltage Control
    Voltage Type.………... Manual
    CPU
    CPU Vcore….……….........................:
    CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: <<< Leave
    CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: <<< Leave
    CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: <<< Leave
    CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*.......:<<< Leave

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: <<
    MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........; <<< Leave
    MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: <<< Leave
    ICH I/O……………….....1.550V............: <<< Leave
    ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< Leave

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............:
    DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: <<< Leave
    Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave
    Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave

Advanced Settings
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled]

First, thanks for the quick reply and I apologize i wasn't able to respond until now. You were right about my me using an older version of Memtest+ (Ultimate Boot Disc is what i used and the one on there is something like 1.7 whereas the actual program has been revised to V2.01). So, with a fresh Memtest+ disc I left everything alone and on the first try I made it through one complete pass with no errors but wanted to let it go a few times just to be safe. The second test unfortunately gave an error so I quit there. Generally seems that test #s 4 and 6 are most likely to error. Mind you, Windows is perfectly stable and I have no issues using this PC, even playing games at high resolution or decoding high def video. The new mobo and GPU rock at least!

Quick question about the voltage on those things before I give my values: is it going to be harmful for them to run at 2.2 volts constantly? Seems like a high number, but being no expert I'd also wonder if it wasn't maybe a problem for them to run at less than that since 2.2 is specified by crucial. For now, I left them at 2.1V. Does this play into their potentially short life span?
    Anyway, here are my current bios settings for your template:

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)

Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto
    CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 9x
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.+0.5
    CPU Frequency ...........................: 2.53 GHz (2.66x 9.5)

Clock Chip Control
    Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: Mhz 266
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100 [100]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
    CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 800mV
    PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 900mV
    CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<< 0ps
    MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<< 0ps

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
    System Memory Multiplier ..............: [auto]
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 1066
    DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time........................5 [5]
    tRCD .........................................7 [5]
    tRP'...........................................7 [5]
    tRAS..........................................24 [15]

Advanced Timing Control
    tRRD...........................................4 [auto]
    tWTR..........................................4 [auto]
    tWR............................................8 [auto]
    tRFC...........................................68 [auto]
    tRTP...........................................4 [auto]
    Command Rate (CMD) ....................:0 [auto]

Channel A
    Static tRead Value.........................:7
    tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:0
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto 0
    tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto 0
    tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto 0
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto 8
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto 8
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto 7
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto 9

Channel B
    Static tRead Value.........................:7
    tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:0
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto 0
    tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto 0
    tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto 0
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto 8
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto 8
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto 7
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto 9

Motherboard Voltage Control
    Voltage Type.………... Manual
    CPU
    CPU Vcore….……….........................: 1.15000V
    CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: <<< Leave
    CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: <<< Leave
    CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: <<< Leave .760V [auto]
    CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*.......:<<< Leave (i dont have this option)

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: << [auto]
    MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........; <<< .760V [auto]
    MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: <<< [auto]
    ICH I/O……………….....1.550V............: <<< 1.500 [auto]
    ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< (i dont have this option)

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: [2.100V]
    DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: <<< [auto]
    Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< [auto]
    Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< [auto]

Advanced Settings
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled] (i dont have this option)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information