Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could GA-X48T-DQ6 be the cause of random BSODs and failed stability testing?

Default Could GA-X48T-DQ6 be the cause of random BSODs and failed stability testing?

I just built my first system: Zalman GT1000 Case, GA-X48T-DQ6 SN 081100053400 Batch 120813 Bios Mar 6 08, Corsair XMS3 2 x 2 GB TW3X4G1333C9DHX DDR3 1333 Unbuff Non-ECC Batch 124511, Intel Q9450 (with stock cooling fan for now) V E34934-001 1.25V max Pack date Jun 02 08, WD VelociRaptor, eVGA e-GeForce 8800 GTX 768 MB with Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme 800 cooler, Samsung 20x DVDRW, Zalman 750W PSU ZM750-HP, Win XP SP3, and Norton Internet Security 2008.

All settings are default, and nothing is or has been OC'd.

Initially the sys ran fine, but then after loading a number of programs (to include Nero 8) I started receiving a host of seemingly random BSODs, including Driver_IRQL_Not_Less_or_Equal esp with tcpip.sys, Page_Fault_in_Nonpaged_Area, Bad_Pool_Header, some with SPBBCDrv.sys, ...

I uninstalled all software and started fresh again, and similar events started occurring esp after the Nero 8 install. I uninstalled all but the requisite Norton and the BSODs have decreased dramatically, but they do still occ occur. For example last night, Page_Fault_in_Nonpaged_Area, Stop 0x00000050 (0xFFF4A0EC, 0x00000001, 0xBF8048F2, 0x00000000) win32k.sys Address BF8048F2 base at BF8000-000, Datestamp 48025f2a

Although clearly software was apparently causing a number of these errors, I ran Everest Ultimate Edition v4.50.1330 stability tests to look for potential hardware issues as well. The CPU, FPU, and drives passed, but cache failed within 2 sec and mem failed within 8 sec. I then ran memtest 86+ v 2.01 and it performed 17 passes over about 11 hours without an error.

I'm currently trying to identify wherein the hardware error lies, but I'm just an end-user so I don't have other systems to pull from to try new parts. Is it conceivable there is a defect on the motherboard which could lead to errors in both the cache and the memory with the Everest stability run, such as a memory controller? And if so, are there any specific tests one can run to pinpoint the problem? Although I've owned computers for a number of years I'm not tech savvy and as stated, this is my first build.

Many thanks for a great forum and for any advice you can provide.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Could GA-X48T-DQ6 be the cause of random BSODs and failed stability testing?

For 2x2GB you need to manually set several things.

First off, have you tested this ram on a different system to Be sure it was not DOA?

Those are ram related errors as you thought

What settings are you using now, and I will post you back some suggested settings >>>

Just a template I use to ask people there settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours. If anything is missing, add it in

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [102]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]
    Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ ?
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ ?
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ ?
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ ?
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ ?
    Static tRead Value_______________ 1-31
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Do yourself and you computer a Favor now and Remove Norton and use something else!!! >>>
    ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/englis...moval_Tool.exe
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Edited for misleading content

Default Re: Could GA-X48T-DQ6 be the cause of random BSODs and failed stability testing?

Thank you very much for your rapid reply, Lsdmeasap.

Unfortunately I don't have any way to test these components on other systems as this is our lone system, and we don't have any friends who have boards capable of DDR3 1333. But I did run memtest which is all I could think of to directly test the mem...

Here are our numbers and settings as found in the BIOS:

Robust Graphics Booster - AUTO
    CPU Clock Ratio - 8x
    CPU Host Clock Control - DISABLED
    xCPU Host Frequency (MHz) - 333
    PCI Express Frequency - AUTO
    CIA 2 - DISABLED
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD) - AUTO
    DRAM timing Selectable (SPD) - AUTO
    Performance Enhance - TURBO

*********Standard Timing Control***********
    xCAS Latency Time - 9 AUTO
    xDRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay - 9 AUTO
    xDRAM RAS# tPrecharge - 9 AUTO
    xPrecharge Delay (tRAS) - 24 AUTO

********Advanced Timing Control*********
    xACT to ACT Delay (tRRD) - 4 AUTO
    xRank Write to Read Delay - 5 AUTO
    xWrite to Precharge Delay - 10 AUTO
    xRefresh to ACT Delay - 60 AUTO
    xRead to Precharge Delay - 5 AUTO
    xStatic tREAD Value - 7 AUTO
    xStatic tREAD Phase Adjust - 0 AUTO
    xCommand Rate (CMD) - 1 AUTO

********System Voltage Optimized********
    System voltage Control - MANUAL
    DDR3 Overvoltage Control - NORMAL
    PCI-E Overvoltage Control - NORMAL
    FSB Overvoltage Control - NORMAL
    (G)MCH Overvoltage Control - NORMAL
    Loadline Calibration - AUTO
    CPU Voltage Control - NORMAL
    Normal CPU VCore - 1.23750V

Regarding the Norton, we have been contemplating switching, and spent alot of time over the weekend reading reviews about other software (Trend Micro, Kaspersky, BitDefender,...), but it seems they all have some bugs, conflicts, and performance slowing issues. I'm certainly open to suggestions from you on which you think provides optimum protection and least sys interference.

Again, many thanks for your assistance!

I suggest Eset Smart Security, ESET/NOD32 is second and third on most comparison lists and Uses VERY little resources. >>>
    Anti-Virus Software Review 2008

It also contains Firewall and Anti-spyware All In One. I have recommended NOD32 for years, this is just the newer version. Here is their main page with all software's offered if you would like to look into it >>>
    Antivirus Software - Eliminate viruses with ESET NOD32 Antivirus and ESET Smart Security

They also have NON All in One that is just the antivirus app if you would like your own firewall. As you know you can install as many Spyware apps as you like, and I do recommend a few of those at least and run scans with them at least once a week

How did Memtest turn out, you never said?

First off go in Integrated Peripherals and disabling legacy USB support.

As for your ram, I would suggest you to try these settings >>>>

Robust Graphics Booster - AUTO
    CPU Clock Ratio - 8x
    CPU Host Clock Control - Enabled
    xCPU Host Frequency (MHz) - 333
    PCI Express Frequency -100
    CIA 2 - DISABLED
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD) - 4.0 = 1332
    DRAM timing Selectable (SPD) Manual

Performance Enhance - STANDARD

~ Manually set everything that is not on AUTO below ~

(If you ever get stable you can try 777-20 later on)

xCAS Latency Time - 9
    xDRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay - 9
    xDRAM RAS# tPrecharge - 9
    xPrecharge Delay (tRAS) - 24

********Advanced Timing Control*********
    xACT to ACT Delay (tRRD) - 4 AUTO
    xRank Write to Read Delay - 5 AUTO
    xWrite to Precharge Delay - 10 AUTO
    xRefresh to ACT Delay - 62-72 (Start with 72)
    xRead to Precharge Delay - 5 AUTO
    xStatic tREAD Value - 7 AUTO
    xStatic tREAD Phase Adjust - 0 AUTO
    xCommand Rate (CMD) - 2

********System Voltage Optimized********
    System voltage Control - MANUAL
    DDR3 Overvoltage Control ______________ [manually set to 1.7V Equivalent, I believe +.3V]
    PCI-E Overvoltage Control - NORMAL
    FSB Overvoltage Control - NORMAL
    (G)MCH Overvoltage Control___________ [+0.05V - +0.1V]
    Loadline Calibration - AUTO
    CPU Voltage Control - NORMAL
    Normal CPU VCore - 1.23750V
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Edited for misleading content

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    I suggest Eset Smart Security, ESET/NOD32 is second and third on most comparison lists and Uses VERY little resources. >>>
    Anti-Virus Software Review 2008

...(snip)...

How did Memtest turn out, you never said?

...(snip)...

First off go in Integrated Peripherals and disabling legacy USB support.
    ... Re: Norton - thanks for the suggestion. That was one of the websites I reviewed previously. I've already ordered and downloaded ESS and will uninstall NIS and load this later today.

... Re: memtest results - actually, I did mention that - fifth paragraph in my initial post (17 passes, 11 hours). Which is why my confusion started. I understand memtest isn't foolproof, but most of the errors I'm reading about re: these Corsair sticks seems to be hanging and not the random BSODs which I'm seeing, and many of those posts mention errors with memtest... Plus, my BSODs are pretty rare now, but still occurring about once/day (last night Driver_IRQL_... Stop 0x00000001 (0x6ABA39B0, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0xB9ECA7B6) USBport.sys - address B9ECA7B6 base @ B9EC1000 Datestamp 480254ce.

...Re: Suggested changes - I'll make some of the changes you've suggested, such as changing Performance Enhance to Standard (not sure why it chose TURBO), but as I'm not tech-savvy and I've never altered BIOS settings before, I'm hesitant to start changing the voltage settings. I'm concerned I'll not even be able to boot if I type in the wrong number, so I'll hold off on some of those suggestions for right now. Also, interestingly, even though the BIOS shows the PCI Express Frequency as auto, when I run EasyTune6 it showed it was at 100, so maybe the auto readings are really working OK in the Win environment?

I'm not sure how well the 150KB size-limitation of your jpeg uploads would show any of the EasyTune or other test screens, but if you think that would help, I'd be happy to post those rather than typing everything in by hand, or any other test screens which might help to clarify our current status.

And I may end up switching to Mushkin if this doesn't get straightened out. Should one just stick with 2GB Mem in the 32bit Win XP SP3 OS, or can one gain that more with the 4GB (or do you then have to go in and manually change these parameters, which is something I'd prefer not having to do)? I'm not interested in OC'ing, but I'd just like quality and dependable (and compatible) Mem for my GA motherboard.

Would the Mushkin Ascent SCP-12800, 996624 or 996625 be reasonable (and compatible), the 2x1GB or 2x2GB? Or the XP3-12800 XP series 996600 or 996601? And would they come with the correct defaults set so I don't have to change anything in the BIOS?

Again, many thanks for your continued assistance.
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008 at 03:22 PM.

(addendum to my last post):

I began to follow your advised changes, but in reading about Legacy USB support, it seems I need that for my USB keyboard and mouse?

PC Accessories - Issues when USB Legacy Support is Disabled

And edit to the Ascent Model # - should read Ascent XP3-12800 (correct module #s were typed).

Ahhh Yeah, So I see your memtest comment. I did before but Just was not sure how long ago that was.

Turbo is the default I believe.

Do you have external USB storage devices, like External Hard drive? If not, Please disable Legacy USB storage detect.

Those voltages I suggest are completely safe (I would not suggest anything bad or even in a high range to you). I said I believe on that one because I was not sure how the DDR3 voltage selection process was on your board. But The MCH bump is needed for sure, and the Ram DDR 3 Overvoltage or whatever your BIOS calls the actual Ram voltage selection is for SURE needed for you ram to run correctly (Which is 1.7 on your ram sticker correct...) And AUTO is not enough and even if you see it say it is 1.7 on the left (Or AUTO) in the BIOS it may or may not always be that unless you manually set it

Same as above follow for PCI-E setting, yes AUTO should be 100, but to ENSURE it stays that way please ALWAYS set to 100 manually on all your boards!!!! That is why the larger Font

For images you can upload to Tinypic DOT Com, Imageshack DOT us, or Photobucket DOT com and then just post the DIRECT image URL into img tags >>>

But I dont need to see any really, unless you feel you need to show me. I believe you.

Easytune should if anything only be used to look at Motherboard system temp. And then only used to reference other apps temp reading. Any voltages or temps should really be looked at in other programs. And ANY overclock or change along those lines should be done ONLY in the BIOS

A 32bit system can only use 3.2x Ram so 2GB would be the better choice to keep things matched up. And really, to keep dual channel you would want 2 x 1GB sticks

Just keep in mind, AUTO is put there in the BIOS for those who do not know, those who are not asking someone who can help, and generally just to get your board started because of the wide range of hardware items a user can stick in there the BIOS programmers have to set things this way so that "Most" items will run at boot. You cannot expect High end hardware (Such as what you have) to run stable and stay that way by using AUTO. Nor should you want your hardware subjected to more or less then what it needs daily by some setting that is a "General" guess by your system

As for USB Legacy Storage detect, I believe that comment may only apply to Intel boards as GA boards have a separate setting for each USB mouse, Keyboard. I use a USB mouse and Keyboard on my Set and have Legacy USB Storage detect disabled. And yes, my mouse and keyboard work in NON windows and DOS environments such as what is referenced there
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post

Turbo is the default I believe.

Do you have external USB storage devices, like External Hard drive? If not, Please disable Legacy USB storage detect.

Those voltages I suggest are completely safe (I would not suggest anything bad or even in a high range to you)...

Same as above follow for PCI-E setting, yes AUTO should be 100, but to ENSURE it stays that way please ALWAYS set to 100 manually on all your boards!!!! That is why the larger Font...

...ANY overclock or change along those lines should be done ONLY in the BIOS

A 32bit system can only use 3.2x Ram so 2GB would be the better choice to keep things matched up. And really, to keep dual channel you would want 2 x 1GB sticks...

Just keep in mind, AUTO is put there in the BIOS for those who do not know, those who are not asking someone who can help, and generally just to get your board started because of the wide range of hardware items a user can stick in there the BIOS programmers have to set things this way so that "Most" items will run at boot. You cannot expect High end hardware (Such as what you have) to run stable and stay that way by using AUTO. Nor should you want your hardware subjected to more or less then what it needs daily by some setting that is a "General" guess by your system...
    Alot of great points here, especially for those of us just starting out with builds and mods.

Re: ext USB devices - Brother QL-500 Label Printer, Logitech cordless mouse, Logitech keyboard, Western Digital WD5000H1U-00 500 GB USB 2.0 harddrive left over from previous system (I can ditch it and get a SATA if that'll clear up this issue).

Re: voltages being safe and the need to manually adjust - I trust you and your advice, I just don't trust myself in being able to perform what you're asking me to do. That's probably an overstatement and I'll make these changes first thing tomorrow. There is a steep learning curve for me in this area as you can probably sense, though, and I actually thought all components would autodetect just like when you add a new mouse, monitor, or keyboard. I clearly didn't do my homework well enough in that area before starting the build, but I thought the manual changes were issues that only OC's needed to understand - my bad.

You've been remarkably patient and instructive and I really appreciate your advice and recs. I'll provide an update after I make the changes.

Yeah I do understand your tendencies to not want to venture into manually settings things. And you do not HAVE to set them ALL, but there is a good 50% of them that should Always be set manually.

Being as you bought a very nice and expensive board you should start learning now, that way in the future you will know and can help others as well. There is MANY great tips and pointers in the Pinned section as you have read

USB, all is fine with Legacy USB storage detect off, except that 500Gb storage device. But to ensure if this is even causing you a issue or not just unplug the device, reboot into BIOS and disable the setting and see if it changes things any. If not then it could not even be a issue on your board

Ahh, you will be fine in adjusting a few voltages. Just remember never to try and set them too high in a attempt to make something work. As 99% of the time it hurts more then helps and is not the way to solve things. As for the changes I suggested and some you may see in the future or posted/suggested by someone else elsewhere they are just manual changes made for stability not overclocking, but can be also used in overclocking yes as you said.

As for the Ram voltages, Alot of ram can run in AUTO but mostly slow ram that uses the JEDEC Standards which ram has to be able to run at minimally with the loosest timings for that ram set.

For example DDR2 Standard is 1.8V @ 5-5-5-18 but most ram that is not the "Budget" type needs 2.1V or more to run at rated speed and timings of 4-4-4-12.

Things like that need to be manually set, and in your case DDR3 the standard is 1.5V @ 1333 Speeds with 7-7-7-20 timings.

And your ram needs to manually be set above this standard to function properly as it is actually DDR3 1066 Overclocked to 1333 thus the voltage increase needed and the higher timings of 999-24 as a starting point.

The same applies with DDR2 1066 ram, it is really 800MHz ram that is tested to overclock to 1066 with certain timings and voltages. And users must manually enter these values to use 1066 speed with those sticks

Those standards are for AUTO to best work in every case possible, not to be used as a daily choice in a high end system

Anytime. I try to help best I can, when I can.

Quick update - I made 13/14 of the changes you recommended above, Lsdmeasap. The only one I couldn't figure out, so I thought it best to leave on 'Auto' until I hear back from you, was the System Memory Multiplier (SPD). You recommended 4.0, but when I click on the Auto to change it, I get the following list of choices:

Auto
    2.00B
    2.40B
    3.20B
    4.00B
    2.00D
    2.66D
    3.33D
    4.00D
    3.33C
    4.00C
    2.50A
    3.00A
    4.00A

I ran Everest Ultimate again, all Benchmarks ran fine. I ran all of the stability testing again, and the memory test went to 3 minutes this time before I stopped it, so clearly an improvement! Unfortunately the cache received another Hardware failure after only 3 seconds, so I'm not sure what is causing that apparent failure.

I'm going to run an extended memtest again for now, then I'll check back to see which 4.00 (A, B, C, or D) I need to choose in the manual SPD setting box. I'm hoping if I change that then the cache stability will work?

So far, so good on the memory front, though, and again, many thanks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information