Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte EP45-DS3R will not post with DDR2 1066ram

Default Gigabyte EP45-DS3R will not post with DDR2 1066ram

Hi all, first time poster.

OK here is the problem.
    (This is a new build) plug everything in with only one 2G stick of ram (Corsair 8500C5DF) installed in slot 1 turned on the power.........nothing but a blank screen & no beeps, the bios seemed to be stuck in a loop powering down and rebooting, but never posting.

What I have done or tried to date.

So I'm thinking it must be a DOA stick of ram, so I try the 2nd stick with the same result.
    Also tried both sticks in the other 3 slots including duel channel modes with the same result.

Thinking it may be a compatabilty issue I installed 1x1G PC800 (Corsair C4) in slot 1, turn on the power...........ITS ALIVE........PC800 works in all slots no problem.

OK its time to update the bios (Delivered with F5), Tried F6 first......made no difference.
    Next and currently latest F7a beta...... slots 1 & 2 unchanged (bios will not post) but slots 3 & 4 now are working in single channel with both sticks (2x2G) installed and detected correctly in bios as 1066.

Would love to be able to try this ram in duel channel mode.
    Does anyone know if this ram (Corsair 4G (2x2G) TwinX 8500C5DF) will be properly supported in the next bios update?

Bit off long post but any help would be great.
    Daggy

Hardware installed
    GA-EP45_DS3R (Bios F7a)
    Corsair 4G (2x2G) TwinX 8500C5DF ram
    Q6600
    Corsair 520 PSU
    Asus 9600gt
    74gig Raptor
    Case Stacker 810

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Gigabyte EP45-DS3R will not post with DDR2 1066ram

What settings are you using in the MIT section for 2x2 GB? It does need a few things manually set, so you may need to set them properly with slots 3+4 then shut down and put in slot 1+3

Mainly you need to add (+.1-.125-.15) to MCH and set refresh to act delay to 52-62, and then finally for now set your DDR2 voltage manually to 2.1 (+.3)

These are the settings for the MCH

MCH Core 1.100 (Auto)
    MCH Reference 0.760 (Auto)
    MCH / Dram Reference 0.900 (Auto)

DDR2 voltage 1.8 (Auto)

I was not able to find "refresh to act delay to 52-62" Where is this in the bios?

Those are all on AUTO which often changes, and should manually be set. Core at least to 1.2 - 1.25

Refresh to act should be in your memory subtimings, can you take a picture for me?

Last edited by Daggy; 07-08-2008 at 03:22 PM. Reason: added links

trfc is refresh to act, That looks to be enough Plus some so you should be fine there. YOu may want to try 9-11 on tWTR. tRTP you could also move to 5 and see if it helps any.

Also, Static tRead of 8 may help, but will be better on 7 if you can get it stable. You want command rate on 2 as well, but 0 likely will only do 2 for you anyway. Just be sure it is not on 1

You also want to set your DDR2 voltage to your ram spec listed on the ram sticker, likely 2.1 (+0.3)

What speed are you trying to run them at? If just 1066 what main settings are you trying, 555-15? If so then that is all good

Do you have a external USB hard drive? If not, also find and turn off Legacy USB storage Detect, in P35 boards this is in Integrated Peripherals BIOS section

And yes DOA's happen, with all brands. TO be SURE you do not have any DOA sticks you should test each one at stock (Meaning Stock Main timings Manually set, and DDR@ Voltage also manually set, and Speed Freq Manually selected to 1066) with Memtest86+ >>>
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

If either of them FAIL you should return for a refund and not a replacement if possible

Thank you Lsdmeasap,

I will give those settings a try and let you know how I get on.

555-15 are the timings that I'm trying for. When you set the Extreme Memory Profile to Profile2 (can be seen in the last link) it comes up.
    Should I turn this off as well, for a manual setup?

Daggy

Sorry, I just saw your last few images

Yes, and also set Performance Enhance to Standard, Disable XMP if possible or do not use it somehow as that is a "AUTO" type feature and you want to manually set things

Also set System memory multiplier to 4.00 (FSB 266 X 4 = 2.4GHZ CPU, 4.00 X FSB For Ram Freq @1064)

Then set Dram Timing Selectable to Manual and enter the 555-15 manually

Your are likely going to need to add some MCH core, 1.2-1.3 should be fine

Remember you also HAVE to manually set DDR2 voltage (DRAM Voltage) to 2.1 or whatever is on your ram sticker, 1.8 is not enough for sure
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 07-08-2008 at 04:27 PM.

Well I've done a bit of testing and it would seem to be a motherboard / bios issue.

Testing done with 1 stick of memory (1x2g TwinX 8500C5DF ram),
    GA-EP45-DS3R
    Memory posts & passes memtest in slots 3 & 4 Only using these settings,
    system memory multiplier - 4.00A
    performance enhance - standard
    X.M.P. - disabled
    dram voltage - 2.00
    timings 555-15
    rest on auto

After successfully passing memtest in slots 3 & 4, I tried slots 1 & 2 again,
    but the bios would not post and was stuck in a reboot loop until I powered down and removed it.(At no point was there access to the bios).

I tried all off the settings mentioned in previous posts, I had no problems using these settings (except for dram voltage, max 2.040v) when the memory is installed in slot 3 or 4.

The bios just refuses to post when this memory in installed in slot 1 or 2.

Doesn't that ram Require 2.1V? If so you should be using that. What do you mean Max 2.04 on the ram? That should not be the max allowed to you to set for sure, and I would for sure be testing with 2.1 even if the ram is rated for 2.0 as 2.1 is safe and may be needed to reach 1066 speeds with 2x2

Also, you say testing in slots 1+2 and 3+4, that is not how you are testing both at once is it? As it should be 1+3 and/or 2+4 when using Pairs. Just incase you were unsure about that I had to post it

You should also try changing your FSB or multi around so that you can try a Memory Multiplier without a strap letter on it. Such as a lower mutli with a higher FSB

I would actually personally say you should test some other ram in the slots you think is bad. And it would be best to find or borrow some old ram before you decide the board is bad
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008 at 01:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information