Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte EP35C DS3R AHCI problems

Default Gigabyte EP35C DS3R AHCI problems

I have some weird problem when enabling AHCI with this board. I have an WD6400AAKS hdd and when AHCI is enabled in bios i have some issues under windows (vista), when i try to copy something from one partition to another, try to install something or try to download something with speeds higher tham 1 MB the system freezes for a sec or two and then comes back and freezez again and so on untill i finish what i`m doing. I looked in my bios settings and after playing with them for a while i`ve noticed that when the hdd is in IDE mode it works fine, no issues or freezes whatsoever but when i turn it to AHCI mode it starts giving me freezes. I`ve used the latest version of bios for this boatd, beta f3e and the last official one , F2 but there were no differences between the two. I`ve installed the latest drivers on the Gigabyte site for AHCI and Intel chipset utility. I know i could just disable AHCI and use IDE but i was hoping not to get to that, can anyone help me on this?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Gigabyte EP35C DS3R AHCI problems

First IDE is really SATA so dont let it make you think it is that much slower because it says IDE, it is just GA's way of saying SATA mode in the BIOS. Alot of boards say it this way

Second, when you installed your System did you install the Pre OS driver with the F6 method (Or in vista's case the load driver method)? If not that is likely why you are having issues, you MUST install the driver during OS install

Did you check to make sure there is NO jumper on your disk? Some ship with them and some do not, if you have on on there please remove it

Also, what do you have PCIE Freq Set on in the BIOS? If you are overclocking, or not really you should manually set it to 100

Well actually i tried installing the OS with those drivers but it didn`t want to, i really don`t know why, the hdd has no jumpers on it, i checked and the PCI-E clock is set to auto.

Set PCIE to 100

Maybe you tried using the wrong driver, vista does have a Built in one but that is a "Generic" one and you should be using this one during Pre Install (If you are using the Intel Controller ~ Yellow Ports). This is the 32bit driver, let me know if youw ant 64bit>>>

Intel ICH9R AHCI SATA Download Pre OS Install Driver

Copy those files onto a Floppy or USB disk or CD if you dont have a floppy/USB and point the vista Installer to them

Thanks for the link, i`ll do a fresh install later and i`ll be back with the results. I have a question though, are you and employee of Gigabyte also? I sent the a mail and unfortunately they haven`t responded yet although i checked on their Global Technical Site and i saw my question status change from : the mail will be processed to the mail is being read.. But noone has responded so far.

Good luck, And no I dont work for Gigabyte, just hear to help when I can

Be sure you set your BIOS properly for AHCI >>
    SATA RAID/AHCI Mode >>>>> AHCI
    SATA Port0-3 >>> Enabled

Those options were set before, ide was disable, smart was enabled, and curiously with a vista instalation disk it didn`t want to install windows, it only works with a vista sp1 pack while AHCI is enabled.

The bottom/middle SATA settings you mention have nothing to do with the Intel Controller, only the GA/J.Micron one using the purple ports. Just letting you know this because what you set those to does not matter to anything on a yellow or orange controller

I know i know i was just saying, well in a few mins i`ll try to do a clean install and see if it works and how it works afterwards.

Ok, Just wanted to be sure ya knew.

Good luck, and I will see ya later today

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information