Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-EP35-DS4, Computer Shutting Down/Losing Power

Default GA-EP35-DS4, Computer Shutting Down/Losing Power

Let me start this by saying: I don't know much about computers. I just built my own computer for the first time, and I'm just trying to get it working. Be gentle, it could be an extremely simple problem I'm not even aware of.

2nd, here are a list of the computer's specifications:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450
    Video card: EVGA GeForce 8800GTS
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4 LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX
    RAM: Corsair Dominator 4GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Cavier SE16 750GB 7200 RPM SATA
    CD ROM: Lite-On 20X DVD+R DVD Burner
    Power Supply: PC Power and Cooling Silencer 500W ATX12V/EPS12V

Third, this is the problem:

I've installed all the parts above and everything turns on just fine and seems to run fine. However, anywhere from a minute to 20 minutes after I turn it on the computer shuts down with no warning. It starts back up just fine, again with no warning.

I'm not sure what is making it unstable, but someone suggested it might be the motherboard shutting it down for safety reasons or any other number of reasons. So, I thought I'd see if that was the case.

I thought maybe the computer was overheating or the fans weren't working, but everything seems to be running fine and the computer stays nice and cool, I even have a temperature gauge on the case that tells me so.

If this isn't the motherboard, I would like to know that, too, if you could help me out! But, at least getting the motherboard cleared up would narrow down the problem.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-EP35-DS4, Computer Shutting Down/Losing Power

For 2x2GB you need to manually set some things in the MIT section of the BIOS. Mainly what is listed below >>>

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [3.20] = 1065.6
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 52-62

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] = 2.1V
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V - +0.125V - +0.15V]

If you would like a FULL set of suggested timings/settings let me know.

Best for now since you just got it, to test this ram at Stock (That is with stock settings and voltages manually entered) with Memtest86+ 2.01 to ensure you did not get any DOA sticks >>>
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008 at 03:27 PM.

Well, I made those changes and nothing really seemed to change, so I think there might be other issues with my BIOS I need to check out, so I'm going to go back through the manual.

But I'm a little nervous about adjusting the BIOS as I've heard that's a pretty sensitive area to mess up easily :P

Any other advice on the BIOS settings you could give me I'd appreciate :) My mamma said I was special, but she never called me a genius...

Did you test that ram to be sure it is not DOA? And do you have or can you borrow any older ram to test with?

Are you sure that PSU gives enough power on the 12V rail for your GFX card? Likely not the issue, but thought I would ask to be sure

I tried to run the test (a few times), but unfortunately my computer kept shutting down before it could finish.... the Pass percentage never gets past 4 or 5 percent, around Test 4 or 5 usually... but up until that point there were no errors or anything...

As for the PSU - yes, that was something I checked, and was part of my criteria for buying that PSU as well...

Kept shutting down? Literally? Or erroring until it freezes and you have to shut it down?

That is not good in either case though, and means there is a memory issue.
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008 at 03:28 PM.

Well, the whole "computer shutting down" thing was the original problem, and hasn't stopped being so... And yes, literally... it runs for a little bit and then just shuts down... no freezing, no errors, just "I'm done being on. Have a nice night."

Hmm well that for sure sounds like something is bad as you know, Either bad PSU or Case Power Switch, or as I said Incompatible ram

I appreciate your help up to this point, I will be trying a new type of RAM, the Mushkin brand you mentioned before.

I noticed something this evening that seems to me like it should be helpful, but again I have no way to diagnose this sort of stuff so I was wondering if you help me one more time.

Up until now my computer won't stay powered up for more than 30 minutes, usually no more than 5-10 minutes. Tonight it stayed on for more than an hour, twice. The only difference between these times and the others was the case was on its side instead of standing up.

I actually was even able to install my operating system, or I could've if I had my mouse or keyboard attached. (Up until now I've hardly been able to run the boot disc before it shut down)

So, would the fact that my computer operates when on its side but not when standing up indicate anything to you as a problem? Or even narrow down the possibilities?

Hmm, yeah that does sound like maybe you have a short in a cable somewhere, or possibly something not fully plugged in. Check all connections to see they are Firmly plugged in. And if when you raise the case upright again the issues restart, I would say to try it outside of the case and see if it is the same upright or sideways.

I would also separately try things with the PSU only outside the case sideways with the case upright to see if maybe something inside it is loose inside the PSU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information