Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Can't install Vista on EP35C-DS3R. HELP!

Default Can't install Vista on EP35C-DS3R. HELP!

I've built countless computers but am having one heck of a time with this board.

I've got 2 sticks of Corsair DDR3 (2gb total), a Corsair HX1000 power supply, 2 WD 500g SATA drives, Nvidia 280GTX and a SATA DVD-R. All components are brand new.

Here's what's happening:

I boot off the DVD drive to install Vista Ultimate. Eventually it gets to the screen where it asks me where I want to install Windows. Both hard drives show up as Disk 0 and Disk 1. However.... there is a yellow warning message at the bottom of the screen that says: "This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

When I try continuing by installing to EITHER drive, I get an error that says "Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets the criteria for installation".

Thus, I am stuck.

Currently the drives are on SATA 0 and 4 on the yellow connectors.... but I've also tried both on the purple connectors as well as switching around on the yellow ones. Same problem.

I have no desire to run the drives in a RAID array (I use imaging and backup software which works better for me).... but I even tried enabling the RAID in the BIOS and same problem.

EDIT: For completeness.... I should probably list my current BIOS settings:

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode [AHCI]
    SATA Port 0-3 Native Mode [Enabled]
    OnBoard SATA/IDE Device [Enabled]
    Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode [ACHI]

I should note that I started with all these at the board default settings and them changed them to the above to try to get things to work.

Also, I downloaded the ICH9 SATA drivers from Intel and put them on a USB stick and loaded them when Vista allowed.... but still the same problem as noted above.
    Last edited by wazoo; 07-14-2008 at 06:48 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Can't install Vista on EP35C-DS3R. HELP!

These are for the Intel yellow ports >>>
    SATA RAID/AHCI Mode [AHCI]
    SATA Port 0-3 Native Mode [Enabled] <<< Should be set to disabled

These are for the Gigabyte Purple ports >>>
    OnBoard SATA/IDE Device [Enabled]
    Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode [ACHI]

You will need to install a F6 driver before installing to either, your manual tells you how to make a floppy or you can point the "Install Driver" to your motherboard CD and choose Intel or Gigabyte controller driver and install it before your system will install to the disk

You need the very small drivers (Less then 1MB) from intel, or GA. Grab them here >>>
    GIGABYTE - Support - Motherboard - Driver - GA-EP35C-DS3R (rev. 2.1)

Thanks for the advice. Setting SATA Port 0-3 to DISABLED solved that problem.... however... now I have another one.

I noticed that installing Vista was taking a ridiculously long time. In fact, when after about 2 hours and it was stuck at the Completing Installation prompt. I did notice though that the mouse moved for a few seconds, then the system would lock up for a few seconds, and then mouse functionality returned. I had to reset out.

Now.... the system is trying to load the fresh install off the drive.
    As I write this, I'm watching the green Vista loading bars scrolling across the screen for two seconds, then they stop for 5 seconds, then the cycle repeats.

This is very frustrating....
    Last edited by wazoo; 07-14-2008 at 08:21 AM.

Yeah, wow that is a long time. Should only take about 15 minutes to fully install.

What settings are you using as it could be a memory setting or something else setup wrong. >>>

This is Just a template I use to ask people there settings, pay no attention to the numbers in it, replace with yours. Add anything that is missing

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]
    Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ ?
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ ?
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______?
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ ?
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ ?
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ ?
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ ?
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ ?
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ ?
    Static tRead Value_______________ 1-31
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V]
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.25]

Also, would be great if you could take pics of all you other pages of you BIOS and post as you may have something else set wrong as well
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wazoo View Post
    When I try continuing by installing to EITHER drive, I get an error that says "Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets the criteria for installation".

Thus, I am stuck.
    Make sure that you have a valid HD at the BIOS first boot option.
    Making CDROM at first and harddisk at second boot device runs well with XP but not under Vista.
    I got exactly the same issue setting up my machine at first time and Western Digital support told me that I wrote above.
    Last edited by svcglobal; 07-23-2008 at 12:31 AM. Reason: sintax

Thread Information