Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: problem with memory voltage on EP45-DS3R

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: problem with memory voltage on EP45-DS3R

Well the XMP sets some other subtimings as well as the 444-12.

If you have no luck with either way, and do not want to flash your BIOS a few times to find one that works better then you will likely need to RMA the board... Or run NON dual channel , which I would not want to do myself. But that is up to you, If you do decide to RMA you should at least try all available BIOS's first

Good luck, Ill see you later today

Everything seems to work fine at 5-5-5-15.
    I'm still not sure if it's the board the RAM or the combination that's the culprit.

Thanks.

I dunno for sure either since I am not there to mess with things myself, but G.Skill is compatible and since it wont run stated Specs I would return the Set as DOA for sure

what else would to try to determine where the problem is?

btw, by "I would return the Set as DOA" , you refer to the GSkill sticks?

Yes, I would say from all of this thread those sticks came to you DOA. They do not run at stock speed and timings = DOA

What I meant by me not being there to play with things myself just means if I was there I could easily play with many settings/combo of settings that I cannot do from here or easily tell you to do. What all settings I have suggested to you should work fine in dual mode, and they do not hence I say the set is DOA

where did you see that the memory and board are compatible? can't find any gskill entry in the board's memory compatibility list.

Also, I saw a thread on a local forum (not in english, so I can't link you) that says something like:
    "I have a A-Data 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2-800 Vitesta Extreme CL4 and Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3
    I can't get it to work in 4-4-4-12 (only in 5-5-5-18)
    when I try 444-12 I keep getting reboots and can't reach the bios.
    I took the PC to the lab, and they tested few memory brands, and couldn't get it to work at 4-4-4-12.
    Also, they couldn;t OC the memory OR THE CPU at all"

so, I'm thinking it's similiar to my problem (I haven't tried OCing the CPU yet). maybe this board is not compatible with (few/many/all) 2X2GB in dual channel over 1.8V voltage at 4-4-4-12 timings?

Also, I saw on newegg's customer reviews, some people having problems with 4-4-4-12 or both gigabyte and asus boards

G.Skills are 100% compatible Trust me. As are Mushkins.

You can link me to anywhere, I can read it.

A-Data is not a very good overclocking ram, but I see it should run at CAS4. I would suspect those "Testers" do not know what they are doing likely, not everyone who thinks they do actually does. But with them saying they also could not even overclock the CPU that sounds as if them, or you also, need a newer or older BIOS flash or even the same one reflashed in

1.8V is not going to work for 4-4-4-12 with very many sticks AT ALL, like less then 85% of all 800Mhz Ram will need at least 1.9-2.0 to run CAS4. Yes, maybe you should try overclocking the CPU and ram to be sure you do not also have CPU issues... Maybe to 850Mhz ram and try that at 444-12 with 2.1V.

1.8 is likely ONLY going to work with 555-15/18 timings at low speeds.

555-15/18 and 1.8V is a set standard on most all ram sticks so that any user can stick them in any board and they will start the board with little issue. It is then up to the user to set the proper timings and voltages for the specs on their specific ram. This is the JEDEC standard for ALL DDR2 RAM. And is why you often see boards say the need 1.8V ram to run, meaning if you stick ram in there that will not run a JEDEC standard profile then the board will not start (Such as some ram will ONLY run at 2.2, and thus would not start your board at all)

Here is some JEDEC info >>>
    JEDEC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    DDR2 SDRAM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Newegg reviews are often left by noobs, or even people who do not even buy the product. Not saying I do not agree with you by any means..... But your board will do 444-12 and 2.5+V with 4GB/8GB & no issues with properly working ram (unless your board itself is damaged, which is unlikely since it will run them in non dual or CAS5.

I Think you should borrow someones ram and see for yourself, since you seem to not want to RMA that DOA set of ram.

If you do not believe the things I say, or want to even accept them, then I am unsure of what else to say to you
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008 at 03:01 PM.

oh, I'm sorry if you think I "do not believe the things" you say. I sure appreciate your help, and try pretty much all you suggested.

I will most likely RMA the RAM sticks, all I'm trying to avoid is getting a new pair of the same model, and having it not work cause it's not compatible (or damaged board) rather than it being a defective sticks. so, basically all I'm trying to do is pinpoint the problem.

Do you think trying to OC the CPU will give me indication if the board is fine? if so, what's the easy and safe way to do it?

I only have pair of Samsung ddr2 800 sticks that run at 1.8V 555-15 on another PC, any point of testing with them?

Thanks.

(btw, I was only able to post with 2 sticks not in dual channel at 2.1v or with 1 stick at 2.1v (which i wasnt able with 2 sticks at dual @ 2.1v, I didnt run memtest or even tried to boot vista... so, I'm not sure how helpful is this info I gave)

It's no big deal, I just thought by the way you kept saying things that maybe you thought I was crazy and just did not know what I was talking about

Well, new sticks should solve your issue. Unless they also are bad, but that is highly unlikely. The best thing you can do to be sure it is not your board is to see if a friend will let you borrow some 2x2GB and test them in your board. Or take your PC to his house and test there if he wont let your borrow them

Well, I dont think testing 2x1 sticks will get you anywhere, but it might. I mean if there is a issue with your board or some of the ram slots on your board it just might let you find that out. So... Yeah maybe you should test the other sticks you have in dual channel mode so you can see if maybe you do have a bad slot/pair of slots
    Being as you are having Dual channel issues it seems, maybe this would be the better way to test it out.

Overclocking is easy, and to just bump your FSB 25-50 you would likely not have to do anything else. Maybe add a bump or two to your CPU voltage, but that would be about it. Have you read thru the pinned guide? It does not apply fully for your board or BIOS, but will give you more info on how overclocking is done.

Good luck with your testing, I will not be back for about 10 Hours. See you then

few more tests I've done:
    change the dram voltage to 2.0 timings 5-5-5-15 : POST OK
    change the dram voltage to 2.0 timings 5-4-4-15 : POST FAIL

OC the CPU: FSP: 367 , no change to CPU voltage, memory multplier to 2 (734MHZ) 1:1 fsb:dram - POST OK. even ran OCCT for an hour.
    Now returned the CPU to default values.

That's about all. Does it help reach a conclusion which part is to blame... ?

btw, is it better to run the memory 1:1 with fsb, that is, even w/o OC have the memory ran at 667MHZ and not 800MHZ? (I have an E8400)

Thanks.

edit:
    just saw this: http://newgskill.web-bi.net/gstechfo...pic.php?t=1406
    he had a similiar problem and while this is another board, the interesting part is "I figured out my problem. The newest bios from Gigabyte F8 is garbage! After receiving advice from another computer enthusiast with the same ram and motherboard, I switched back to bios F7"
    so, maybe Gigabyte messed up my bios version as well. Is there any way to contact them (are you connected with GB?) maybe they can fix it in the next release if it is in fact a compitability issue.
    Last edited by amirn; 07-20-2008 at 05:53 AM.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information