Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-EP35-DS3L CPU fan question

renegade44 is offline Junior Member

Default GA-EP35-DS3L CPU fan question

So do I really need a 4-pin PWM fan for the motherboard to control the fan speed?

I got a 108cfm 3100rpm 120mm x 38mm Sunon KDE1212PMB3-6A I really love with my TRU but its only 3-pin.

It was really quiet @1800rpm on my Abit IP-35E before my BFG PSU took it out... or maybe it was the other way around.

New to here but been at OCForums for a long time under this nick.

I've been looking for someplace like this for a while since I bought my board. Glad I found you!!!

Thanks in advance

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-EP35-DS3L CPU fan question

Nope, you can use a 3Pin and set settings to Method to Legacy, and Mode to Voltage.

That should get you all squared away

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Nope, you can use a 3Pin and set settings to Method to Legacy, and Mode to Voltage.

That should get you all squared away
    Where do I find those settings? I tried easytune 5 and the BIOS

It is in the BIOS, in the PC Health Status Section. Not sure, but if you are using a Older BIOS you may need to use the Control + F1 hotkey. To use this, on the MAIN Page ONLY push Control + F1 and the screen will flash, then all hidden settings are shown.

Then just enable Smart Fan Control, then the Mode and Method choices will be shown below that

But I do not believe this is a hidden setting, maybe you just did not look in that section.

Here is what it looks like, just incase you overlooked it >>>

yep on that BIOS page but the CPU smart fan control has only two settings enabled and disabled and nothing below it. It is set to enabled. Tried CTRL + F1. Got the flash but nothing changed. Was originally on F4 bios and then tried F5 (needed to change anyway) just before you posted the 11:34PM message. Maybe something changed from P35-DS3L to EP35-DS3L?

Yeah nothing changes, it will just flash, then you go into each section and if anything wa hidden it will then be shown.

Na, nothing changed in this respect for sure from P35 to EP35. It is there. You should set smart Fan control to Legacy (Sorry, I thought you need to enable this then rest was below, this is not the case) Then under that you will see the mode choice.... So it should look like this >>>>>

Smart Fan Control (Method may or may not be written) [Legacy]
    Smart Fan Mode [Voltage]

After you flashed did you load optimized defaults, then save and apply and reboot, then go in and make your changes? If not you must, anytime you flash you must do this.

But either way, you should see those choices once you enable Smart Fan control. Are you sure this fans 3Pin works? I mean have you tried it on a controller? I am not sure, but maybe if it is broke (The RPM feature of the fan I mean) then maybe those options are only there if the board detects a proper 3/4pin fan. Also, I must ask are you SURE you plugged this fan into the CPU header and not the Sys header? The CPU one is Above the ram. Not saying you are dumb or anything but I just have to ask because ya never know who thinks what... ya know

Did optimized default/reboot. No help

Did control + f1. No help. I do see a hidden settings on PNP/PCI page so I know this works just not on the PC health page.

The fan is detected by easy tune 5 as running at 3700rpm on the cpu header.

Have you actually looked at an EP35-DS3L bios screen on the PC health page? I've been overclocking since intel coppermine so this isn't my first time to the dance.

To summarize (on my MoBo)

CPU smart fan has two settings: Enabled and disabled.

There are no blued out settings below cpu smart fan. There is nothing but empty space below CPU Smart FAN

And if someone else who owns a EP35-DS3L can look and tell us what they see on the PC health page that might be a big help
    Last edited by renegade44; 07-20-2008 at 12:39 AM.

Well then I think the fan is no good, it is on all GA-P35 boards. It would just not show up if your fan did not work properly. Plug in the Intel Stock fan and you will see the setting in the BIOS. It is "Blued" only on mine because I have it off.

Gigabyte would not remove these features if that is what you are thinking, you should see PWM as a choice as well. Do you properly load and save optimized defaults between your flashes? If ya do, I dunno anything else to say except maybe your Fan header is broke there on your board?

I could not find a Ep35 specific review with BIOS images for your board, but you can see here the P35 one. Same board, same BIOS setup >>>
    X-bit labs - Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L (rev. 1.0) Mainboard Review (page 6)

Plug your Intel fan in and see to be sure, but it should be there if a controllable fan is connected.

I tried several fans over the weekend

Intel E8400 Stock HSF 4pin

No Blued out seetiings

Fan does change speed when enabled or disabled in BIOS (cpu at idle temp)

Enermax UC-FAB12 3pin
    Thermaltake 80mm Smart fan II 3pin

No blued out settings

Fans speed did not change when enabled or disabled.

Unless you can show me where you have PHYSCIALLY seen the GA-P35-XXX and the GA-EP35 XXX having the same bios settings regarding the CPU fan settings I suggest you ask one of your engineering contacts if maybe something changed from P35 to EP35

AT this point it appears the only way to get a fan to low speed idle when the CPU temp is at idle is if I buy a 4-pin(sense) 120MM fan.
    Last edited by renegade44; 08-06-2008 at 12:14 PM.
    Mobo: ASrock Z77 Exteme4
    CPU: i5-3570K 4.2G
    CPU Heatsink : Hyper 212 EVO
    RAM: Ripjaw F3-12800CL9-4GBRL 2x4GB
    GFX: MSI GTX650
    PSU: Lepa 500W
    SSD: PNY XLR8 240GB (C:)
    SSD: OCZ Agiliity 3 240GB (refurb)
    Storage: Seagate 7200.12 1TB
    Storage: Seagate 7200.12 500GB

Maybe something has changed from P35 to EP35 in that respect I am not sure. And having looked at your Manual I see that it is not mentioned so maybe it is left out now

I do know that with Ep35 you can control your fan with Easytune though, have you checked that out?

Did you ever do a reflash to your BIOS?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information