Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: New build

Default New build

Hello: I'm researching a new build with a GA EP35 Ds3R, using an Intel E8400, which has a FSB of 1333MHz. The Gigabyte site's QVL lists 1 GB Corsair modules, but doesn't mention any kits. The 1 GB module is: AP1 1GB CORSAIR CM2X1024-8500C5. For DDR2 PC2-8500 memory, Crucial's web site lists 2 kits, but both are EPP. I'm not a gamer, but I wan to install a tv card to receive HD programs over the air, and use photoshop elements. Should I try to use 1066 memory on this board, which the board supports, or go with 800?

Thanks for any memory suggestions--and, why are there so few choices on the QVL?

Default Re: New build

Avoid Corsair/Crucial and OZC with Gigabyte boards. Go with G.Skill or Mushkin, they are the best for GA boards. You can go either with 800 or 1066 but you should probably go for a 2x2Gb kit since you are going to work with HD material and image rendering.

And also, I am not very well informed on the matter but I do know that many Gigabyte P35 boards have issues with DPC latency which could affect realtime streaming of audio/video. I think its been resolved with the latest Bios rev's but I am not 100% sure. You should read the threads here at tweaktown about the latency http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/p35-...ing-26456/.The P45 boards however have no issues with DPC.

Good luck
    Mobo - Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4
    CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @3.6GHz
    RAM - Mushkin Redline XP2 PC8000
    GFX - Gigabyte Geforce 8800GT Type B
    PSU - Hiper Type R MKII 680W

LaZ--Thanks for replying. Could you re-check the URL you gave for the problem GA P35 boards have with DPC latency? I'm getting an apparent dead link.
    Shawnee

Sorry about the dead link, dunno why that happened, anyway here´s the link again.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/p35-...spiking-26456/
    Mobo - Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4
    CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @3.6GHz
    RAM - Mushkin Redline XP2 PC8000
    GFX - Gigabyte Geforce 8800GT Type B
    PSU - Hiper Type R MKII 680W

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

800 or 1066 would be fine, all depends on what you wanted to run your CPU at. 1066 ram is really 800 anyway, just tested to run stable at 1066 with higher timings and specified voltages And you will have to manually set the memory multiplier to run at 1066 as they will run at 800 by default, and will also show up as 800Mhz ram in many apps such as CPU-z

The QVL list is very old I think, and does not reflect MANY new models/brands that work great.

My Suggestions would be Mushkins, G.Skill, or Geil

And as for the DPC issue, I think in the last 2-3 pages of that it has said to have been fixed on that model with the latest BIOS, but yes that could still be a issue for you as well
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008 at 01:16 PM.

Thread Information