Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X48-DQ6 problems with four memory modules

Default X48-DQ6 problems with four memory modules

Hello,

So, I have some big problems with my X48-DQ6. I have 4 memory sticks Corsair Twin2X PC6400 CAS4 on 2GB each, 8GB in total and my motherboard just refuses to boot with this memory. I have tried setting +0.3V to the DDR voltage and been trying to tweak the MCH settings all the way up to +0.3 but I really just can't seem to get it to work. Has anyone got this to work, and if so, with what settings?

I'm running the latest BIOS (F7) and these are my current settings. I'm a bit uncertain about what to have on the System Memory Multiplier.
    http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/2522/img0666ue4.jpg
    http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/5808/img0667ug4.jpg

These settings are the only ones that currently doesn't instantly reboot the computer. Instead, you can hear that the fans keep running but nothing appears on the screen. This happened when I set the system memory multiplier to 2.0B (so, down to 667 MHz). In the end I'm planning on overclocking my CPU (Q9450) to 400x8 (3.2GHz) as well.

I have booted my system on all four sticks one at a time, so the sticks seem to be okay, and I am currently running the computer on two of the sticks (4GB).

Very grateful for help.

Best Regards,
    David N

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: X48-DQ6 problems with four memory modules

Try static tRead Value higher, such as 8-12 and see if that helps. Also see if 5-5-5-15 helps any
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008 at 01:58 PM.

Hi,

Glad to see your connection is back up, and thanks for your answer :)

I tried this and saw some odd behaviour. At the first attempt I set the tRead to 10 with pretty much the same settings as before apart from timings which I set to 6-6-6-18.

You know how the fans speed up the first seconds during the boot process to later slow down again before the POST? Well, until now, the fans have only been speeding up but not slowing down again when I've tried to boot with 8GB of memory. This time, the fans did slow down again but unfortunately nothing appeared on the screen still.

The weird thing is that I tried to change some settings to tweak this and it went back to the good old fans at high speed and reboot cycles and I then tried to set it back to the same settings as the first time again but this time the fans didn't slow down. I kept doing some tweaking and then once again changed back to somewhat the same settings as I had on the first attempt and this time the fans were slowing down again. This time I took some new pics of my settings.

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/1908/img0705if2.jpg
    http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6752/img0706uf1.jpg

Really feels close now but still hard to find something that works. The computer stores are being a bit of a pain too, the one where I bought the memory blames the motherboard and the one where I bought the motherboard blames the memory. Guess I have to blame myself, but I really want to get this up and running.

I blame the ram for sure. So if you do get a new one or the other get a different brand of ram for sure

666-18 is pretty loose and should have worked for sure....... With that being said try this and see if it gets you any closer. Sorry I cannot see your images, the pages wont load even in a proxy? Maybe imageshack has some issues right now?

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [450]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]
    Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 18

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________3-4
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 9-11
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 11-14
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 52-62
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 4-6
    Static tRead Value_______________ 7-12
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 <<< Leave (Meaning do not set to anything other then Auto, Zero or 1-31)

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1-1.5V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.2V]

How hot is your NB, can you touch it for more then 10 seconds? If not this could be the issue because if you cannot it is way to hot

Hmm, I can see the pictures. Will try the settings you mentioned in a bit as well as checking how hot the NB is. I'll paste what was in the pictures below first and then report back about my results with your settings:

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Disabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [Auto]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.00B]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]
    Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 18

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________3 (but set to auto)
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3 (but set to auto)
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 6 (but set to auto)
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 52
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3 (but set to auto)
    Static tRead Value_______________ 10
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 0 (but set to auto)

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.400V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [Normal]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.05V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.3V]

I still cannot view them, but not all Imageshack images go thru the same servers so maybe on is down on myside of things, as it should work in a webproxy but does not so it is something on Imageshack's side between me and them

Ahh well I dont think first off you need 2.2 on your ram, and if you insist on this then you need to add a fan to them or the heat could be causing all of these issues.

Try the above, 62 refresh to act delay or maybe even 65+ may be the answer, eveything else looks ok except AUTO is not the best and could also be causing all of this. I would also bump the FSb a bit more .1 or so

Hopefully once we get your timings down you can bring down the MCH voltage as +3 is likely hot

Thanks. Unfortunately, I tried a few different combinations of the model you pasted but didn't get past the "fans speeding up" phase. Any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Well the fans should only speed up if you system gets hot
    Really? Hmm. My comp has been acting like that since first time I started it (without changing anything in the BIOS). They only speed up for 2 seconds instantly when you turn it on and then slow down again to normal speed and POSTs. What do you think can be wrong?

Also, which memory would you recommend? I find it quite weird how they claim to support 8 GB but in their "supported" memory list they don't have a single entry with 8GB. Really feels like this memory should be common enough for Gigabyte to try it out and post some settings. I don't think it's too much to ask when the company says they support 8 GB of RAM but obviously has tonnes of problems with people actually trying it.

Well some systems will spin them fast at startup just as a power cycle, as well as some GFX fans do the same. This is normal.

Does your fan NOT speed up when you stress your system like with Orthos/Prime95?

I would suggest you get Mushkins or G.Skills, Geil also works great but I have not seen anyone with 8GB of it. The latter I have

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information