Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: EP45-DSR3 MCH Voltage with Corsair Memory

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: EP45-DSR3 MCH Voltage with Corsair Memory

OK, I just wasn't sure which you meant for 1.36, yeah I would test 1.4 and see how it fairs for you.

Graphics booster just allows more bandwidth to be available to the PCI Express Bus which you will not ever fill anyway so you can set it on Anything you like and will not see much of a change if any

Thanks...and I'll let you know how 1.4V goes. In the event I continue to have to try and go higher...I wish there was a motherboard sensor that told me what my voltage was now under "Auto" so I knew when I was in the right ballpark. Do you know if there is a reference that says what the voltage limit on my chipset is...similar to how Intel posts thresholds for processors (i.e. 1.36V for Q9450)? While you're helping me "optimize" my BIOS...do you have recommendations for the Advanced Clock Control (CPU Clock Drive, PCI-Express Clock Drive, CPU Clock Skew, and MCH Clock Skew)?

1.4V and 1.42V both didn't work...Memtest froze and after the computer wouldn't post had to shut it off in the back and then reenter all of my BIOS settings. Frustrating. This board is supposed to be able to support up to 16GB memory...I'm thinking this chipset has to need over 1.5V if I'm at 1.42V at half memory capacity and still am having trouble.

1.5 would be the upper range I would use and it should not be needed you are right. Like I said I feel this brand of ram is not compatible with GA boards.

As for the Skew and Drive questions, I cannot say for sure as I have no experience with those settings. I could read up on it and give you guesses but that would not be a good thing on my part. So I would suggest to leave them on Auto or play with them a bit just don't go crazy with it. First one I would try adding to would be the MCH clock skew since you are having Ram issues

Are you using a Ram Mutli with a Strap Letter on it? If so can/have you tried using a different CPU Multi and FSb so that you can choose a ram multi without a Strap letter on it?

I haven't gone that far yet. I'm about ready to just give up on 3.4 and use this at 3.2GHz and be happy. I know this board isn't a "high-end" board. The impresison I'm getting is to go higher I probably should've got a higher end board like an x48 chipset or something. I may tweak the reference voltages a little but like you said this hardware combination works fine at 3.2GHz...but there is a like a wall prevented stable operation past that. I guess another option would be to try using 2.2V on the memory (I do have the Dominator fan installed). We'll see. Thanks for your help and if you do find out anything on those skew settings feel free to let me know.

Have you took the CPU out of the equation yet to be sure that is not the issue? Well I suppose 3.2 vs 3.4 is not much of a difference anyway. I personally would leave it at 3.2 if I could not get it any higher easily

I think you made a OK choice for a board, I would pick a P45 over a X38/X48 anytime. Just would get the DS4 or DQ6 though.

Well since you have the fan installed the ram is warrantied to 2.2 right? I believe it is so it may be worth the try

Ill do some reading about Skew and such this weekend, I need to anyway to add some info on that into the Ram Sticky I posted yesterday. So I may have just some general info for you about it, but like I said without having a board with those options I do not feel comfortable suggesting something I cannot try myself.

I plan to get a P45 just not sure how long it will be, I am in the middle of modding out a Rocketfish case right now and I have some things I need to buy for it before I can even start thinking about my next board.

I just played around in my BIOS and I'm sure it is memory related and not CPU. I decided to convert the other memory voltage settings (the only one I'd changed was the DRAM Voltage). Instead of Auto I manually entered the normal values in for both the MCH voltages (except the MCH Core and Reference as I know those don't like to be touched) and DRAM voltages and the computer would boot but the minute I got in Windows it froze. I tried it again putting all the MCH voltages back to auto and leaving the DRAM ones and it did the same thing. Changed those back to Auto and now everything is running normal again. I guess it is just a glitch between the memory and board, as you've mentioned. They work fine together on Auto until the 1600MHz bus speed and then anything over and they don't. Maybe a future BIOS update will help. The only reason I didn't get the DS4 or DQ6 was this board was on sale and I'd just had a failed power supply wipe out my old system (P4 670@4.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 2 hard drives including a Raptor, Asus P5AD2 motherboard, Nvidia 7600GT, and Plextor DVD writer). I was in a rush to get something together (you don't realize how much you depend on the Internet and your computer until it doesn't work...and I was tired of borrowing my gf's laptop). I only intend to keep this system for a year and a half or two and then Nehalem and DDR3 will be mature and lower in price and I can move up.

MCH CORE is what I have been telling you that you need to add voltage to, that is what you need to change. What was you meaning you changed when you said before 1.36 and such and then said you meant MCH. MCH what? It should have been MCH Core Voltage, I am sorry If I did not convey it to you properly as this is the one you should be changing

And you may also want to add some FSB voltage Which I believe is ICH Core on the P45

Yes...I was changing the MCH Core before...all the way up to 1.42V and I couldn't get it to pass Memtest...kept freezing. This time (two posts ago) I decided to manually enter the other voltage settings instead of having them all say "Auto". That didn't work either. I tried:

CPU VCore: 1.3125V
    CPU Termination: 1.34V
    CPU PLL: 1.57V
    CPU Reference: 0.758V

MCH Core Auto (I've been changing this like you said...as high as 1.42 Volts with no stability so I left it on Auto because it is the only setting that works)
    MCH Reference (0.768V) - Now it is back on Auto because it didn't like any other value except Auto
    MCH/DRAM Reference (1.01V) Changed back to Auto when 1.01V didn't work
    ICH/IO - 1.5V (Changed back to Auto because it didn't work)

DRAM (set to 2.16 which gives me 2.13 after Vdroop)
    DRAM Termination - 1.01V (Changed back to Auto when it didn't work)
    Channel A Reference - 1.01V (Same as above)
    Channel B Reference - 1.01V (Same as above)

Ahhh Ok then I suppose we were on the same page then. Well it looks like you are going to either have to give in and use 3.2, or get different ram (I know you hate to hear that, but that is likely the issue). Unless giving your ram 2.2 helps any.

Can you try this with the other ram settings I have already suggested and see if it matters >>>>
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 11-14

Is your NB hot a fan on it could help, I always also redo the thermal paste as it is usually to much or not enough under there
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 08-09-2008 at 10:12 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information