Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: EP45-DSR3 MCH Voltage with Corsair Memory

Default Re: EP45-DSR3 MCH Voltage with Corsair Memory

I could try that...and it gets hot to the touch but not to the point where I have to take my finger off. In fact at idle my System temp (which I've been told is the Northbridge temp but could be wrong) is 23 - 27C and under load in Prime95 maxes out at 49C. I know those would be great for a processor but they seem pretty good compared to other people's numbers I've read. How do you take the stock heat sink off of these? I see two clear white plastic things that are either snaps or spring-loaded or something. I'm assuming it is something like push down on them and then gently pull out (both of them) and then the heat sink lifts off? I don't think it's getting too hot...I think it is just the RAM now...maybe I'll try the higher voltage on the memory or hope that maybe a later BIOS revision will help address the issue. With the amount of people that own Corsair memory Gigabyte will hopefully address the issue. I'll call them on money or send an e-mail to document my case to the engineers. Now to go try the precharge delay (I'll use 12).

I changed the TWD value to 12 and there really isn't a change. Should I drop it back down to 4?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ya, that is the NB and that is good temp for sure at Idle and Load so you should be fine with those temps.

Yeah they are push thru pins with springs, you will need to CAREFULLY squeeze them together from the backside of the board and push out the front

TWR you mean? yeah if it is no better at 12 then you can likely put it back. Please post for me just your ram subtimings again So I can see what you are using now.
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008 at 03:00 PM.

Is it so much the type of memory (Corsair) or the amount (8GB) or a combination of both). Some people have said that having all 4 DIMM slots used and the size of the DIMMs can affect overclocking ability. I'm not sure if this is true or not. Per your question, here are my Memory timing values from the BIOS:

CAS Latency - 5
    TRCD - 5
    TRP - 5
    TRAS - 15
    TRRD - 3
    TWTR - 4
    TWR - 4
    TRFC - 65
    TRTP - 4
    CMD Rate - 2
    Channel A and Channel B Static TRead - 10
    All other values on Auto

Yes though you are correct having all slots populated does hinder overclocking some, but that refers to overclocking the ram. Which you are not trying to do... Right?

TRRD - try 4 or 5 and see if it helps at all. While you do this also raise these >>>

TWTR - 14
    TWR - 6
    TRTP - 7

If that works then maybe we can get a few of them back down.

But mainly you are really trying to make A Lot of ram that is not compatible work. While yes sometimes you can but it is not looking good here
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008 at 03:00 PM.

By working do you mean a stable overclock at 3.4GHz or being able to manually adjust voltages? The timings I posted above are working fine at 3.2Ghz...so I'm confused on what changing those values fixes?

Yeah, Sorry. I was referring to attempting to get 3.4 working.

Having all slots full only should hinder your ram overclocking really, not your CPU overclocks

Just curious...when I go in and do that do you have recommendations for what I should set my CPU VCore at. Right now my BIOS setting is 1.325V (normal/VID is 1.25V and max Intel spec is 1.36V...which I'm assuming are pre-Vdrop and Vdroop values). Right now my Vdrop brings the actual voltage to 1.28V at idle, and when I run Prime95 that drops to 1.22V. I can't seem to find any information on accounting for Vdroop/Vdrop and if this is too low or not. It just seems that if I was going to increase this I'd quickly approach the 1.36V threshold in the BIOS...unless the 1.36V is supposed to be after Vdrop and Vdroop are accounted foro (I don't think so though).

Yes, it is after the drop/droop. Meaning actual voltage input at any given time in reality not settings. I would say you will be fine as long as your temps stay good up to 1.4 for sure and likely higher before your temps get too hot. Maybe not though depending on your cooling setup. When I say 1.4, that means set in BIOS since you have a huge Vdrop and Vdroop is even worse that should be around 1.36 idle.

Just keep a eye on temps, and often time the drop/droop will also differ at certain voltage settings. So dont always rely on what you think it should be dropping down to.

1.4+ is fine as long as temps are ok. Just do not ever put over 1.5 into Vtt

Do you have Loadline Calibration enabled? If not you should so your drop/droop wont be so much

I would say if it was me I would just go ahead and set the Vcore to 1.34-5ish and then boot in and see how the temps are and see if it is stable at all. I would think if you are using 1.325 now then it should not be too much more for only .2 CPU freq bump.

You likely wont need that much voltage but ya never know, and yes it will be safe and fine. And then if you see it is stable bring down the voltage until it is not. Then go back up again in one increment bumps until you find the spot between where it is and isnt stable

I don't think this board has load-line calibration as I've never seen that as a setting. I know the Asus owners always talk about having it enabled, but I don't see it as an option in MIT. I'll go to 1.34V (in the BIOS) and see what happens.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information