Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EP35-DS3L and device problem, in DOS

Default GA-EP35-DS3L and device problem, in DOS

I am having problems with my GA-EP35-DS3L MB. From Dos, using Ghost 2003 I cannot detect my external USB HD, on my other computer with a GA-K8NSC-939 MB I can. Also the burning and writing speed while in Ghost to my DVD is about half the speed it is on my older computer. Using a Windows 95, 98 or ME boot disk, it will not detect my CD/DVD drives on my new computer. My new computer has a SATA HD and a IDE CD/DVD drive.I have been in contact with Gigabyte but so far its like they do not want to acknowledge the problem but have not given up. I finally found software, a disk clone for partitions that was free so they could down load it and see the problem. It could not detect my external USB drive on the new MB but does on my older MB. Easeus Disk Copy 2.0 is supposed to support, SATA1, SATA2, ACSI, Fire wire (IEEE1394) and USB. So it is not an old piece of software.
    EASEUS Disk Copy: Free Disk Copy Software. Sector by Sector for hard drive backup tool. This is web site for disk copy. There is also a help menu in the program and at the web site if you want to download and try. Maybe all the newer Gigabyte boards are like this? Bios detects everything, it sees the USB HD, the software sees nothing but on older boards the software works. Is anyone else having this problems with these boards? If you found an answer I would like to know. Gigabyte latest answer is, does the software support the P35 chip set. I would think that the software would go to a certain location to detect the devices and go from there? I am getting the feeling of a roundaround or Gigabyte has a problem that they do not want to recogize it? Thoughts or ideas anyone.
    Joe

Default Re: GA-EP35-DS3L and device problem, in DOS

Your problem had nothing to do with the Gigabyte motherboard. Your boot disk &/or DOS has to have the appropriate DOS-based drivers for Ghost 2003 to run properly.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Do you have Legacy USB Storage Detect enabled in the BIOS? If not please enable it and try again, this should at least let you see your external drive.... But >>>>

As for your SATA drive you are not going to have any luck with Ghost 2003 as there is no 16bit SATA driver in GHOST 2003 nor does GA make one so the disk would never been seen anyway. You will also not get anywhere with Hirens Boot CD or similar apps as well as there is no 16bit dos drivers to load for SATA drives

Ghost 2008/2009 do work fine with SATA. I know what ya mean though, I have a 2003 GHOST on 1.44MB floppy I Love to use

AHCI is disabled and sata controllers are set to pata mode.

Sataprot0-1 is set to legacy ide mode.

Usb controller and usb 2.0 controller are enabled.

Funny, in Ghost2003 I see my Sata HD and can burn to it and copy from it. I cannot see my external usb hd. On my other MB, GA-K8NSC-939, with ghost2003 I can see my usb drive.

What is Gigabyte trying to tell me here?

the software will need to be written to support the chipset. You must checked with software and determine which chipset that their software been tested under?
    If the P35 is one chipset which has been tested which manufacture they tested the board with

Do you have Legacy USB Storage Detect Enabled? It is in Integrated Peripherals page

GA is telling you just what I did, that 2003 Ghost does not properly support the P35 Chipset

Yes legacy usb storage detect is enabled.

To end this problem with the usb external hd I was thinking about just putting in another internal SATA drive. The one I was looking at says the mother board must support NCQ (native command Queve), do you know if this board does that?

Yes the P35 supports NCQ.

Vista does as well without AHCI enabled, XP needs the driver for AHCI installed during OS install, vista does not

I got the external USB HD to work with my disk clone and Ghost2003 in DOS. I reformatted and partitioned the USB drive, Fat32.

Tried Ghost and it took about 43mintues for about 6gb which I think is alittle slow but at least it works.

Thanks to everyone who helped.

Joe

Yeah that would be expected as Fat32 is slower then NTFS, glad to see you are getting somewhere though. And sorry I could not be of more help with the actual issue

At least you got it working for ya now

Thread Information