Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 224

Thread: Memory Timings Explained W/ Suggested Timings & Memset VS. BIOS




  1. #41

    Default Re: Memory Timings Explained W/ Suggested Timings & Memset VS. BIOS

    @Merman
    There is no XMP settings in the EP35C-DS3R mobo and here is the Everest printout about the SPD (but looks the same listed by MemSet):




    @Lsd
    I was able to fine tuning some subtiming figures and there is the result (5% faster in memory read benchmark).
    The big player was the Performance Level a.k.a. Static tRead Value change to 6 from 7.
    Can't change anything else without issues in MemTest86 - this time I really hit the wall. Probably I could increase the memory voltage and go forward but looks too extreme...

    GA-Z97-D3H Windows Pro 8.1
    i5-4690K + Corsair H90
    Sapphire Radeon R7 240
    16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz PC3 19200
    Corsair CX750M
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500 GB

    Sharkoon VS-3V tower

  2. #42
    Lsdmeasap's Avatar
    Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    PCB Island
    Posts
    25,940

    Default Re: Memory Timings Explained W/ Suggested Timings & Memset VS. BIOS

    Well I would settle for that, it looks pretty fast @ 1520. Is 1.7 the max Warrantied on that ram?

    Maybe he means this in Everest for SPD (Same as XMP New Intel Fancy-ness is all) is in "Chipset" shown here? >>>>



    But yeah the section you posted shows the same as memset's SPD/XMP Button. You did see the button right? >>>

    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 09-03-2008 at 01:01 PM.

  3. #43

    Default Re: Memory Timings Explained W/ Suggested Timings & Memset VS. BIOS

    Quote Originally Posted by svcglobal View Post
    @Merman
    There is no XMP settings in the EP35C-DS3R mobo and here is the Everest printout about the SPD (but looks the same listed by MemSet):



    You have the correct screen in Everest and the settings should be exactly the same as MemSet as these are the settings programed in the ram. Both programs should read the same. Its just that Everest uses the technical memory terms and no translation between memory terms is needed. I didn't like trying to match what Memset SPD memory terms stated to the terms in the Bios. tRFC to tRFC is easier to match than Refresh Cycle Time to Refresh To Act Delay. The P-45 Bios is much better in that respect.

    I think you missed the link about which memory you have. I looked at the Corsair site and there are two 1339C9 part numbers. One with 1.6 volts and the other is 1.7volts

    TWIN3X2048-1333C9 1.6 volts 999-24

    CM3X2G1333C9S2 * 1.7 volts 999-24 and XMP settings

    Seems like you have the 1.6 volt memory without XMP.???

    It would have been nice if Corsair had stated both the XMP advanced timing settings and non-XMP settings for us users as I'm sure their competitors already know.

    Lsdmeasap:

    Doesn't Everest show your EPP profile in the Motherboard/SPD section??? If Memset can read it I'd be surprised if Everest didn't.

  4. #44

    Default Re: Memory Timings Explained W/ Suggested Timings & Memset VS. BIOS

    Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Well I would settle for that, it looks pretty fast @ 1520. Is 1.7 the max Warrantied on that ram?

    Maybe he means this in Everest for SPD (Same as XMP New Intel Fancy-ness is all) is in "Chipset" shown here? >>>>



    But yeah the section you posted shows the same as memset's SPD/XMP Button. You did see the button right? >>>

    Look again that screen is actual settings not SPD. You have tRFC set to 38 and SPD is 42.

  5. #45
    Lsdmeasap's Avatar
    Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    PCB Island
    Posts
    25,940

    Default Re: Memory Timings Explained W/ Suggested Timings & Memset VS. BIOS

    Yeah, I can see what you originally imaged/posted to him about. I just had already posted it, so I edited back in the SPD Button info on Memset incase he or anyone missed it.

    My Memset screen, One is memset main screen which I know is Actual settings, the other is the SPD/EPP/XMP programmed settings >>>

    Both incase I confused you with my manual settings >>>






    If you did not think I was confused, then ignore me! HAHA Ya, I know what all is what in the programs we are talking about. I just got confused above for a sec when you and SVC was talking. Tired over here..... I suppose

  6. #46

    Default Re: Memory Timings Explained W/ Suggested Timings & Memset VS. BIOS

    Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    If you did not think I was confused, then ignore me! HAHA Ya, I know what all is what in the programs we are talking about. I just got confused above for a sec when you and SVC was talking. Tired over here..... I suppose
    I understand. I am tired too and can't sleep tonight.

    I see Everest didn't give the advanced timing SPD for the EPP profile but looking at Memset the EPP advanced timing profile is no more agressive than the standard SPD for 555-18. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised or disappointed as my memory more or less kept the same advanced timings as it overclocked.

    I also noticed tonight that my memory should have an EPP profile per the extended info PDF file. Not so as there is no such profile shown in Memset or Everest. But no big deal if its not any more agressive than standard and I am overclocking manually with an Intel board anyway.

    TWIN2X2048-6400C4

    That is a 2 gig kit. Confusing I know.

    BTW in the Everest Motherboard/Chipset screen there are Memory Timings in the left colmun and values in the right. Now in some timings there is a rank and value. What is a rank???

    Read To Read Delay (tRTR) Same Rank: 4T, Different Rank: 6T

    Write To Read Delay (tWTR) Same Rank: 10T, Different Rank: 5T

    Write To Write Delay (tWTW) Same Rank: 4T, Different Rank: 6T
    Last edited by Merman; 09-03-2008 at 03:48 PM.

  7. #47
    Lsdmeasap's Avatar
    Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    PCB Island
    Posts
    25,940

    Default Re: Memory Timings Explained W/ Suggested Timings & Memset VS. BIOS

    Ahh who needs em anyway I say!


    They are mainly for people who dont mess around in the BIOS, And that leaves those users likely not using them as well if they do not choose them in XMP. Auto doesn't always get it right either on NON XMP boards. SPD, Mainly EPP are made to be read by Nvidia Boards. Intel ones try to read them in AUTO, but like I said.....

    Now with P45+ XMP looks to be very promising in the way of reading the info right, at least from what I have seen. I'll never use them, but it looks good for Intel.

    SLI is Licensed to Intel now you see that news? I'm sure you have, above just made me think of it. Sapphire for me FTW

    And for those who do mess around, they are useless anyway really because they are just a Generic set of settings programmed for a batch of chips. Not per chip/stick. So it is up to us overclockers to find the best settings per our own configs anyway

    And also those programmed settings are for use at stock speeds, who runs that?

  8. #48

    Default Re: Memory Timings Explained W/ Suggested Timings & Memset VS. BIOS

    Quote Originally Posted by Merman View Post
    You have the correct screen in Everest and the settings should be exactly the same as MemSet as these are the settings programed in the ram. Both programs should read the same. Its just that Everest uses the technical memory terms and no translation between memory terms is needed. I didn't like trying to match what Memset SPD memory terms stated to the terms in the Bios. tRFC to tRFC is easier to match than Refresh Cycle Time to Refresh To Act Delay. The P-45 Bios is much better in that respect.

    I think you missed the link about which memory you have. I looked at the Corsair site and there are two 1339C9 part numbers. One with 1.6 volts and the other is 1.7volts

    TWIN3X2048-1333C9 1.6 volts 999-24

    CM3X2G1333C9S2 * 1.7 volts 999-24 and XMP settings

    Seems like you have the 1.6 volt memory without XMP.???

    It would have been nice if Corsair had stated both the XMP advanced timing settings and non-XMP settings for us users as I'm sure their competitors already know.
    @ Merman, really I don't know TODAY which memory I have . In June, they were sold as 1.7v for 1333 and 1.5v for 1066 at Newegg ( see buyers comment here Newegg.com - CORSAIR 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory ) . Seems that Corsair changed recently its specs and this occur frequently in the electronic market.
    But, even OC @ 1520MHz, the Corsair DDR3 memory works fine from 1.5 to 1.7, just tested for two hours each voltage at MemTest86+.

    And here is my chipset Everest page, just for fun:

    GA-Z97-D3H Windows Pro 8.1
    i5-4690K + Corsair H90
    Sapphire Radeon R7 240
    16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400MHz PC3 19200
    Corsair CX750M
    Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500 GB

    Sharkoon VS-3V tower

  9. #49
    Lsdmeasap's Avatar
    Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    PCB Island
    Posts
    25,940

    Default Re: Memory Timings Explained W/ Suggested Timings & Memset VS. BIOS

    Quote Originally Posted by Merman View Post

    BTW in the Everest Motherboard/Chipset screen there are Memory Timings in the left colmun and values in the right. Now in some timings there is a rank and value. What is a rank???

    Read To Read Delay (tRTR) Same Rank: 4T, Different Rank: 6T

    Write To Read Delay (tWTR) Same Rank: 10T, Different Rank: 5T

    Write To Write Delay (tWTW) Same Rank: 4T, Different Rank: 6T
    Here is some quoted info. But basically it is a set of IC's or Chips on one side of a ram module, or both sides of a ram module >>>

    "Standard' RAM chips are organized a DEPTH x 8 Bits. E.g. 32x8, 64x8,
    etc. That means 8 of the chips make up a 64 bit wide rank (memory bus
    is 64 bits wide). "Double Sided" is an old term to describe a stick
    with 16 chips, 8 on each side. And with DEPTH x 8 chips that makes for
    2 ranks (or, again in an older style terminology: 2 'banks').

    'High Density' chips are DEPTH x 4 bits so it takes 16 to make a 64
    bit wide memory rank. And this is why "double sided" is no longer the
    favored description because when x8 chips are used "Double sided"
    means "double rank" but with x4 chips it takes both sides and 16 chips
    to make the ONE, single, rank.
    Inside a memory chip, there are "four rectangle" of memory.
    Each one of those is called a "bank".

    The dimensions of the rectangles inside the memory chip,
    are defined by "rows" and "columns".

    Memory chips use those three dimensions for internal addressing.

    Memory busses on current generation systems are 64 bits wide.
    If you have a 512MB DIMM, it might have 8 chips on each side
    of the DIMM. 8 chips, each having 8 data bits, forms a 64
    bit wide array, and those 8 chips are called a "rank". A
    double sided 512MB DIMM has two "ranks". (Note that some
    people use the term "rank" or they use the term "bank"
    for this. But using the term bank for both the side of
    a DIMM, and for the internal operation of a single memory
    chip, can lead to confusion. "Rank" is a more unique
    term for this purpose, at the DIMM level.)

    There are other chip formations possible. A 1GB DIMM, constructed
    from 128Mx4 memory chips, also has a total of 16 chips. But
    since each chip is only 4 bits wide on the data bus, it takes
    16 chips to build a 64 bit wide "rank". Thus, a cheap 1GB module
    constructed with x4 chips, has a single "rank", but is double sided.
    Thus, "ranks" are not the same thing as "sides" of memory.
    But many people abuse the terminology, and pretend that
    they are equal concepts.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    68

    Default Re: Memory Timings Explained W/ Suggested Timings & Memset VS. BIOS

    thanks for this artice this helped me a lot in understanding how memory tweaking works :) i gain knowledge from this thanks to you guys :)

Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 13 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 13 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •