Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Problems with GA-EP43-DS3L and 2x2GB memory

Default Problems with GA-EP43-DS3L, 2x1 GB dual-channel

Hello, everyone! Pity we all have to meet under these circumstances, though.

Anyway, I have a GA-EP43-DS3L, bought yesterday, among with an Intel Core2Quad Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz AND 2x1GB Kingston HyperX 8500 CL5 Dual-Channel at 1066 MHz.

I cannot install any new OS (so far I've tried XP Professional - can't get past the first steps, in which the runtime thing gives you activity details, that is EVEN BEFORE I can get to the partitions stage, I get a BSOD - and Vista Ultimate, BOTH on x32).

The interesting thing is, though, before I got the new parts, I had another Gigabyte motherboard (oldie, but goodie) and an Intel Pentium 4. I can actually run the Windows XP that is already installed on the HDD, prior to the upgrade (very messy, but it runs, I even played some serious games, so I think the RAM isn't a problem, tested it with RAM-eating applications, too).

The thing is, I want to be able to install my OS in some point in the future, so just standing by with the current one is not a sollution.

I've tried the manual tweaking of the memory, till it reached the 1066 frequency from the BIOS, nothing. I went with the default settings, still nothing, can't get past the install warm-up (I've encountered some start_stop loops, but they are gone now). Even enabled the NATIVE IDE option (which, in the manual, is said to be for installing Win XP, still no luck).

I really can't recally anything else, just that the Vista install got me into an on-going memory test (passed about an hour, still going).

In the attachment, you'll find the BSOD from the XP install procedure.

*BIOS versions used: F2 (default), F3 (needed for the Q6600, upgraded with @BIOS) and F7. - currently on F3.

The post with the solving is for GA-EP45-DS3L, so I wouldn't advise changing the BIOS for the 43 with that of the 45.

Thanks and good luck to us all... hope it'll be a thing of the past (heard they solved it for the DS3R and the EP45-DS3L)
    Attached Images Attached Images Problems with GA-EP43-DS3L and 2x2GB memory-bsod-jpg 
    Last edited by maxshan1138; 08-24-2008 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Annoying image width

Default Re: Problems with GA-EP43-DS3L and 2x2GB memory

I'm sure more knowledgeable folks will weigh in with recommendations, but did you try doing the O/S install with just one stick in? Perhaps this will allow you to get up and running, then you can tweak things to support both DIMMs. I was able to defeat a lot of my stability problems by running with one (either) DIMM. I never had any O/S load problems though.
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
    Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

ed1 is offline Member

I attempted unsuccessfully to upload the F9d bios file. But it is a self-extracting .exe file which is not permitted to be uploaded to this forum.

I tried to change the file suffix to .zip, but it apparently came out .zip.exe so it could not be uploaded from Vista.

Can anyone think of a way to for me to upload it?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Extract only the BIOS file. but ya cant post that here either anyway! Which I just found the other day.

I just uploaded the BIOS files I needed to for others at Mediafire (No waits, and no Codes) then post the url here for download. You can also just upload the exe at mediafire as well and post download url >>>
    Free File Hosting Made Simple - MediaFire

Or any other file host site like rapidshare.com, or megaupload.com, divshare.com and so on

You would need winrar installed to extract the files, if you want it you can download it for a free trial at rarlab (Just right click the exe BIOS file and choose Extract Here after you install winrar and you will have the Dos files and the .F9d BIOS file which is what most would want/use) >>>
    WinRAR archiver, a powerful tool to process RAR and ZIP files

Yeah you need your disk settings as follows for a NON RAID/AHCI setup >>
    This is what you should use >>>
    SATA RAID/AHCI Mode__________ [Disabled]
    SATA Port0-3 Mode____________ [Enabled]

Vista's memory test is junk, you want to test each stick separately (Or together if you like at first if you like) with memtest86+ >>>

I say separately because then you will know which is bad and not have to run 3 tests, once with both and then twice with each stick separate to find the bad one. DOA Happens will all brands, and you should always test ram first thing when you get it

P45 and 43 are basically the same. Just So you know.

Do you need some help with your ram timings for this board you have now? If so I would suggest this manually setting so you can get windows installed. Then I can help you tighten things up later on after you get installed if you like >>>

Settings here are for a Q6600 and 2x1 @8500 Both at stock (Incase anyone else looks at later)

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
    Robust Graphics Booster ...............: AUTO
    CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 9
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0
    CPU Frequency ...........................: 2.394 (2.40GHz)

Clock Chip Control
    Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 266
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
    CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 800mv
    PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 900mv
    CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<< 150ps
    MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<< 250ps

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto] Or 400
    System Memory Multiplier ..............: 4.00
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 1064
    DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time........................5
    tRCD .........................................5
    tRP'...........................................5
    tRAS..........................................15/18

Set to highest options below for now so you can be stable for windows install

Advanced Timing Control [Press Enter]
    tRRD...........................................3-4
    tWTR..........................................9-11
    tWR............................................3-5
    tRFC...........................................42-52
    tRTP...........................................3-6
    Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

Channel A
    Static tRead Value.........................:7-12
    tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
    tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
    tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Channel B
    Static tRead Value.........................:7-12
    tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:<<< Leave for all below as well
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
    tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
    tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Motherboard Voltage Control
    Voltage Type.………... Manual
    CPU
    CPU Vcore….……….........................:[AUTO]
    CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: <<< Leave
    CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: <<< Leave
    CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: <<< Leave
    CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*.......:<<< Leave

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: << Add +.1 for stability
    MCH Reference….…….0.800V...........; <<< Leave
    MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: <<< Leave
    ICH I/O……………….....1.550V............: <<< Leave
    ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< Leave

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 2.1V (This is usually the Spec voltage for Most DDr2 nowadays, will work fine for 2.2 spec'd ram normally as well)
    DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: <<< Leave
    Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave
    Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave

Advanced Settings
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled]

Quote Originally Posted by mxcrowe View Post
    I'm sure more knowledgeable folks will weigh in with recommendations, but did you try doing the O/S install with just one stick in? Perhaps this will allow you to get up and running, then you can tweak things to support both DIMMs. I was able to defeat a lot of my stability problems by running with one (either) DIMM. I never had any O/S load problems though.
    Yeah, forgot to state that. Yeah, I've tried with 1 stick, still the same.

I used some other RAM from the previous configuration (2x1GB Kingston at 533 MHz), but it entered the start_stop loop, so I think THAT's how a RAM problem looks like.

Anyway, I'll try more tweaking... it's getting weird, though, I don't think so many resets and restarts are good for any PC... but it's worth a try.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Yeah you need your disk settings as follows for a NON RAID/AHCI setup >>

Vista's memory test is junk, you want to test each stick separately (Or together if you like at first if you like) with memtest86+ >>>

I say separately because then you will know which is bad and not have to run 3 tests, once with both and then twice with each stick separate to find the bad one. DOA Happens will all brands, and you should always test ram first thing when you get it

P45 and 43 are basically the same. Just So you know.
    Aye, thanks. Gonna try them ASAP.

The Vista memory test got to 15 pages... then I got bored, nothing seems to happen, eh? So, basically, you're saying the RAM may still be faulty, EVEN though I can play games with it on the installed version of XP, let alone boot up from the HDD? (the system sees the RAM as it should - 2GB physical RAM and 2 more GB I added virtually)

The thing with "SATA 0-3 port mode" was enabled from thee 3rd or 4th try, after reading the manual page by page, stating something like: for installing an OS that supports something with Native IDE mode, including XP.

Thing is, I don't have another machine that can support the RAM, so I have to test it on this machine (does it work from within Windows?). I do, however own a couple of USB flashes.

And as for the 43/45 thing, ARE YOU REALLY REALLY SURE?? I know bad BIOS upgrades can pretty much mess up everything forever, so I am still holding that as a last resort.

Thanks for everything, dudes, see y'all later.

Well when switching to slower ram you will likely get the triple reboot so it can load a reasonable Auto setting for the ram. So it is normal

Your PC will survive the restarts, dont worry!

And yes, could be faulty still, that STOP 0x0000007E is a ram error

Vista's tests sucks.... Oh I said that once already, J/K Run memtest86+ and see what it says about it

Not sure what you meant there about the Disk setting, SATA Port0-3 should be enabled for XP/Vista

It will be fine to test on that machine, just easier to know if it is your settings or board if you can test on another machine. but either way could be incorrect settings if you see errors anyway. If you see errors with the above settings then your ram is indeed showin gerrors as those are very loose timings and should not fail at all.

When I said P45/43 are the same I was refering to BIOS settings, not flashing a BIOS. I misread you I think. I thought you was talking about settings as there is no link to the thread you mentioned.

SO.... YES DO NOT flash a P43 board with a P45 BIOS or vista versa

Sorry for the confusion there.

Update - took over half an hour to get to Windows last night with the new settings, when it did get there the onboard NIC was giving a very good impression of being dead.

The board is being returned

Hmm, so what do you mean aside from the NIC for now? Did the ram test out ok?

Did you install the Intel Chipset drivers before installing the NIC drivers, if not that would be likely the issue there, or wrong settings for the NIC in the BIOS.

Either way, good luck with your RMA.

Update - Sorry, Lsdmeasap, the config you recommended didn't work. Worse, it made the PC enter a start-stop loop again. Reseting...

I ran the memtest thing. Both memories are OK. At least only the mobo is the problem.

What motherboard would you reccomend though?
    Last edited by maxshan1138; 08-23-2008 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information