Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte X48-DQ6 reboot/hang problem

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Gigabyte X48-DQ6 reboot/hang problem

Ya, Notifications is broken here! Sorry

+0.3 is 2.1V I think You are in the right place, but I think you are thinking about it wrong somehow. DDR2 Overvoltage is the setting you should be looking at

1.8V Default
    1.9V = +0.1
    2.0V = +0.2
    2.1V = +0.3
    2.2V = +0.4
    2.3V = +0.5

Ya, turbo is default, and should not be I think for sure.

Here is some ranges for both sets of ram you mentioned >>>

Crucial is 4x1 ddr2 pc8500. 5,5,5,15 2.1v

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [10]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [266]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [4.00] (FSB 266 X Memory Mutli 4.00 = 1064 RAM Freq)

DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 12/15

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-5
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3-6 (9-11 May be needed)
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 4-6 (11-14 May be needed)
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 42-50 (52-65)
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-6
    Static tRead Value_______________ 7-12
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 << Do not adjust, leave at Zero, 1-31, or Auto

CPU/PCIEX Clock Driving Control [800mV]
    CPU Clock Skew Control [normal]
    GMCH Clock Skew Control [Normal]

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] = 2.1V RAM Voltage
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] << For Stability if you like (I DO)
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] << For Stability if you like (I DO)
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V - +0.15V - +0.2V] << needed for 4x1GB or 2x2GB. May need more, but not likely

Mushkin 4x1 xp2 6400 4 4 3 10 2.0v

CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [3.00] (FSB 266 X Memory Mutli 3.00 = 798 RAM Freq)

CAS Latency Time________________ 4
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 4
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______3/4
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 10/12

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-4
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3-6 (Also test 8-10)
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 4-6 (may need 8-10)
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 42-50 (52-62)
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-6
    Static tRead Value_______________ 7-10
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ 1-31 << Do not adjust, leave at Zero, 1-31, or Auto

DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] << For Stability if you like (I DO)
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] << For Stability if you like (I DO)
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V - +0.15V - +0.2V] << needed for 4x1GB or 2x2GB. May need more, but not likely

The mushkins is what I would use, and if you do want them to run 8500, they are micron chips in those sticks so they will run 8500 at the same timings as the above crucials. They are warrantied to 2.1V as well

No luck here. Just puts me into the endless post loop. Can't get into the bios. Reset it manually and I'm back to square one. Set that way I got the "System voltage NOT optimized" warning flashing.

Ok, this seems to be working (but if I Enable CPU clock control, I get the voltage not optimized warning).

CPU Frequency___________ 2.66 (266x10)
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [4.00] (FSB 266 X Memory Mutli 4.00 = 1064 RAM Freq)
    CAS Latency Time________________ 5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 12
    ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 3
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 4
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 50
    Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3
    Static tRead Value_______________ 7
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ Auto << Do not adjust, leave at Zero, 1-31, or Auto
    CMD______________auto
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.30V]
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V]
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V]
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [ +0.200V]
    Loadline calibration _______Auto
    CPU Voltage control______________Normal
    Normal CPU vcore__________1.27500v

@garyoa1

That warning is just there to remind you things are changed voltage wise, incase you did not know or changed accidentally. It can be ignored for sure

Ok, this seems to be working (but if I Enable CPU clock control, I get the voltage not optimized warning).

So you got it working better now? Which sticks did you decide to get working?

Well, it seems ok now. And thank you!!!

But since it was an intermittant problem... time will tell. I used the crucial since it was already in it and I'm kind of lazy. :) But the mushkin is in another system and I'd have to tear them both down to switch. And the other machine would have to get the crucial and that's also a gigabyte board. Since the problems started with this one I moved the slave HD's from this to the old machine. Transferring data wasn't an option. So now I have to move them back. It's critical that I have one of them up at least.

Once I get organized I'll prolly pick up some newer mushkin for it since crucial seems to be a headache. It's going to be in the back of my mind and really bother me whether the machine runs fine or not. :)

But what ever happened to crucial? They used to be king of the hill. Well, til mushkin came along, but they were still known for quality. Actually I have no idea why I didn't think of mushkin when I got the ram for this machine, but that's another story. I remember kingston was top shelf for a while too (maybe about a week) until they started to go down hill on a jet ski. Never had luck with them.

As far as the warning... when I had the clock control enabled... no boot. Then again, I may have had a setting off. When you had some set to say... 4-6, I was winging it. Some I set at the higher suggestion, some in the middle, some at the lowest. Maybe that was the problem? As you can see, the settings now are at the lowest you suggested with it disabled. So I guess the question now is, since I have no idea what it is, should I enable it?

Well they switched Chips, and configurations on the sticks themselves. Not sure why, likely in a attempt to create less RMA's but it hasn't helped.

I do know they Made the move to single sided 1GB sticks to stop production of D9GMH in a attempt to lessen RMA's due to major overvoltage for the nice overclocks those IC's provided. And likely to also cut costs, by using less chips and in the end receiving less RMA requests.

Those chips are not present in 2GB sticks so I would think they likely have less RMA's on those, but they are still Micron IC's and seems they are just not tas good as they used to be, no matter what IC it is.

Ya know, I just had a user here tell me yesterday he was in Fry's and he was told they do not carry Mushkin, ONLY brand names!!!

I laughed, I mean I know some may not know of them, but I could not believe a PC dealer was not aware of them as a brand name! I told him the guy was likely just feeding him a line in a attempt to get him to buy what ram they did have from him right then instead of shopping elsewhere.

Mushkin has been around for a LONG time, I remember using their RDRAM years and years ago.

Ya, lowest may be the issue. You of course have to wing it, but you may have chosen a lowest one that was too low

Do you have EIST and C1E disabled? If so, then Setting clock control to manual should not matter at all. If you have them enabled, then it may fail because speedstep clocks down the CPU and voltage so that could be why it fails for you.

Also do you have a USB Disk drive you use? If not go in Integrated Peripherals page and disable Legacy USB Storage Detect. Often this helps with strange errors

Actually when I ordered the ram, I never dreamed the ballistix would be single sided. Never noticed until I pulled it out. The replacements are double sided.

But yeah, I know mushkin has been around, but years ago they were way out of my league price wise. I was pleasantly surprised when I got it for my other system. A bit more than others, but not like double the price the way they were. I was so used to running crucial that I never gave them a thought for this one. Especially since I never had a problem with crucial.

EIST? C1E? Not a clue. Remember, I'm no overclocker. Most of this is greek to me. If I have a problem I'll kick around and see. Maybe if I ever get a chance I'll play with it but I really just need a quality reliable stock board. Right now I have to call Adobe and get the registration activated again. I've been screwing with this box so long the trial ran out on the old one. (gotta love copy protection) Then change the paths for all the stuff on the drives I have to put back. It was/is a jumbled mess on this temp machine. 3 drives besides the master. Drive e was j, drive i was zz... you get the picture. Hopefully I won't have to go thru that again.

No, no usb drives. 4 machines and a server so no real need for one. And I like this board with the hookup for a sata outside the box. Great idea.

But you've been a great help. I really appreciate it!

Well both types are not good in GA-P35 boards, My opinion again though nothing official.

Ya, mushkin used to be VERY Expensive. I find them actually all pretty much in the same area nowadays. Of course they do still offer higher priced sets, but the midrange (HP Blue models) are just about the same as most other mainstream prices.

C1E and EIST are in the Advanced BIOS page, What it does it step down your CPU multiplier and Voltage when your system is Idle (Most of the time) to downclock your CPU. Since you are not overclocking it may not matter, but I would disable it and see. Then you CPU will always run at 2.66, which it is not know if you have it enabled

Good luck with Adobe!

Yeap, please feel free to post back anytime, I will help when and if I can!

While I have your attention... any idea what's normal heat for these cpu's? (qe6700 quad) This thing runs mid 50's at idle according to coretemp. (but idle in the bios is 37-38c) Some cores even hit 60 (at idle) once in a while. Remember no OC here. But strangely, once it has a load the heat drops. Almost as if the smart fan wasn't working right. I did add a freezer 7 pro but it seemed to make no difference. In fact it came up a bit. Used arctic silver. I even read the instructions and used a small strip! :)
    I was going to try to re-seat the HS and I did order a mount to be able to screw the HS on to get past the sadistically designed mount system now, but of course that means pulling the board to mount it. I guess my question is, should I worry about mid 50's?

Sounds hot! 60C should be a Load temp range not a idle temp for sure.

Hopefully some others will drop a comment in, but I think it is hot. As I see many complaining that they are hitting 65-75C at load. So you either need a better cooler or to back off volts to the CPU a bit

NO Overclock makes that VERY Hot for your CPU, I just re-read that again. For sure do a re-seat of your CPU and use less paste.

What cooler is this?

Mid 50's? What do you mean? I see no mention of Mid 50's, but a HOT idle temp for your cores

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information