Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte X48-DQ6 reboot/hang problem

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Gigabyte X48-DQ6 reboot/hang problem

Do you have them both set to the same tjmax? And what is it you re using for tjmax?

Timings look good, since you are not running them full speed you may be able to adjust refresh to act lower, and maybe bring down Ram and MCH voltage

And ya know, those are some Nice Chips in that ram, you may be able to run 5-5-5-12, or 5-4-4-12 at that speed, but maybe not? Only testing will let you know. I do know if you plan to try that you will have to set the advanced timings looser again before doing so

You're getting greek on me again. :) No idea what tjmax is or how to set it. Coretemp shows tjmax at 100c if we're talking about the same thing. I don't even know why I would want to set it to something else.

Even CAS ratings drive me nuts. Looks like lower is better, yet the more expensive ram is rated higher. Don't try to explain, my head will explode. ;)

But the machine seems to be running fine and stable. Of course, if you think there's something I should manipulate a bit, be glad to check it out. But you've been a tremendous help and I thank you!

Now this heat problem is still driving me flippin' nuts. I really don't want to pull the MB but it looks like I have no choice. Ran Age of Empires last nite, and while the heat used to drop under load... now it's rising. Got up to 67c. And that game should run on a flippin' 386 with no effort.

I'm thinking class action suit against intel. :) Or whatever sadistic b*****d designed the mount. Even the HS manufacturers. C'mon guys, if you need the push pins, just make them 4 inserts tapped for screws for the holes. Then the user can just pop them into the board and then screw the flippin' HS to the board.

sigh...

OK, yeah that is what I meant, coretemp and real temp both will allow you to change/set tjmax value. Should be either 95 or 100, depending on who you want to listen to

What? Where do you see more expensive ram rated higher? Maybe faster speed (Sales pitch for More $$) is higher, only because at those speeds it will not run lower CAS timings. But you should not be seeing any sets way more then any other of the same freq. Like you should not see one set of 800Mhz ram at 444-12 timings costing less then a 800Mhz 555-15 set

Lower is better, but faster ram speeds mean higher timings must be used.

Get rid of the stock cooler, your Board for one will thank you, and your CPU as well.

Hello Lsdmeasap!

A also have 4x1Gb of Mushkin XP2 9200 5-5-5-15 2.1V

Can you please give me the optimal settings for my DQ6 because I also have alot of reboots.

Thank you in advance!

Sure can, when I get back tonight or later today. Please add your system specs to your sig or your next post

Cool! You explained ram timings and my head didn't explode! :)

Ok, got the zalman CNPS9700. Comparing this to the arctic freezer... well, should have got a Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme.

Will the zalman work? Should, but too many (IMHO) cons over the pros. The arctic freezer has a snap on fan but it's flimsy (and only 90mm I believe) and pretty much proprietary as is the zalman fan. But probably easier to jury rig one over the zalman. The thermalright takes any 120mm fan. In fact, it will hold two. (No fans come with it, however) And it's six pipe, not just three. And like the freezer pro, it is rated for quad core, while the zalman is not. Not that it won't work since many are using it for quads with good results. Zalman does make one for rated for quads but it seems no one on the planet has any.

So, what's my problem with zalman?

It weighs a ton (not that the thermalright is a lightweight either). Seems (to me) this was made to impress the user by it's "solid" feel. Lighter will run cooler. IMHO, HS fins "should" be flimsy. You want to dissipate heat, not hold on to it. Fans don't last forever and swapping it out should be a blast. And fans usually don't just stop. They slow down over time from wear so quick swapping out a fan is an easy troubleshoot. Also since, obviously, boards are vertical, a 20 ton HS mounted horizontally ain't no plus.

So here I sit. Contemplating using the zalman and having trouble 6 months down the road when the fan starts to weaken, or somehow jury rig the mount on the arctic freezer since their mount sucks, or just order a thermalright and get it over with.

Ya, ram timings are not that hard to understand. Now tweaking them, that is a bit different

I was using a Zalman 9700 not long ago, Got 4.4 on it >>>
    CPU-Z Validator 2.1 ~ 4.41 Submitted by Lsdmeasap

For a quad, ya you should go with the thermalright 120 or a xigmatek 120 if thermalright is too big

Thinner fins are better, the heat transfers to the air much quicker and does not get "Held" into the material as it would be in a ticker design

My PC Config is:
    GIGABYTE X48-DQ6
    INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q9300 2.50 GHZ LGA775 - 1333 FSB
    4x1Gb of Mushkin XP2 9200 5-5-5-15 2.1V
    NVIDIA GEFORCE 8800 GTX
    2X300GB VELOCIRAPTOR 10.000 RPM
    2X500GB HD
    2XDVD-R

Please give me the optimal config for my motherboard!
    Last edited by khronos; 09-29-2008 at 07:20 PM.

You will have to overclock to get the most out of your ram. Bit if you do not want to, here is settings at stock >>>

Q9300 Stock with ram at 1066Mhz (4x1GB Mushkin 1150Mhz/9200)

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [7]
    Fine Clock Ratio _____________[0.5]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [3.20] = 1066 (If you see 3.33 you can use it for 1109Mhz, but you may need to up FSB to get this option it is FSB dependent). Use a divider with D if you see it

DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________________ 5
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_________ 5
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay_______5
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)__________ 12/15

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)_________ 3-4
    Rank Write to READ Delay________ 9-11
    Write to Precharge Delay_________ 4-6
    Refresh to ACT Delay______________ 35-55 (Start around 48-50 if you are not sure then lower if you can later)

Read to Precharge Delay__________ 3-6
    Static tRead Value_______________ 6 (7-10) << 6 may not work, but at stock you may be able to use 6 or 5 even. If you want to test these, as the do impact Performance THE MOST, please do so with all other settings higher at first, then lower the rest later if you can boot at 5 or 6
    Static tRead Phase Adjust________ [Auto] << Always leave

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [+0.300V] = 2.1V << lower later if you can, most mushkin run better at lower then spec voltages
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [+0.1V] << For stability
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [+0.1V] << For stability
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [+0.1V - 0.15 - 0.2] << Start at .15, if it wont boot use .2 (Needed for 2x2 or 4x2)

CPU Voltage Control_______ [Auto]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled]

Thank you very much!

I will try those settings at once!

And if I want to use the memory at 1150MHz which settings should I change?

I forgot to mention that I have installed on my CPU a Zalman CNPS9700 NT.
    user Khronos:
    Gigabyte X48-DQ6
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.50 GHZ LGA775 - 1333 FSB
    4x1Gb Mushkin XP2 9200 5-5-5-15 2.1V
    Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX
    2X300GB Velociraptor 10.000 RPM
    2X500GB Seagate
    2XDVD-R Plextor

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information