Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-EP45-DS3R unstable after sending to S3(STR) sleep state

Default Re: GA-EP45-DS3R unstable after sending to S3(STR) sleep state

After reading through this thread, I just thought I should add that I'm currently using Vista32. I did install Vista x64 initially but S3 wouldn't work at all - even when FSB was underclocked. However, when running x64 I was also using SATA Native RAID mode in the BIOS which may have affected S3 - not sure.

It would be interesting to see if a Quad Core Extreme with 1600 FSB would still have this problem with these boards.

I doubt that this problem is caused by faulty hardware. I think that it can be reproduced with any GA-EP45-DS3R board, so RMAing my mainboard is completely useless. The key to reproducing it seems to be more a specific combination of hardware, and not my MB.

The reason why not everyone has the problem can be seen in this thread. First you need to be using the sleep feature. Then it needs to be important for you, that it is S3 and not S1 sleep state. Many may just change S3 to S1 in the bios and be happy. I think quite a large number of P45 board users either do not use sleep at all, or use S1. From the remaining users, there are quite a few, which may be using just 2GB of RAM, or a RAM type which does not show the problem. So there are not too many users left. Then comes all those users which happen so see a bluescreen from time to time, but didn't notice it is related to the sleep feature. Furthermore there could be as well OS specific configurations which prevent the problem from happing. And finally we see in this forum only a very small group of those that actually have the problem, identified it and even found this thread. Not everyone actually writes a post.

Still I would be very suprised if I could not just build a new system with the same type of components that are listed here, and not be able to reproduce the problem. It is happening far too often with the exact same symptoms to be some very rare, exotic and not reproducable problem.

My e-mail to Gigabyte:

My computer experiences repeating blue screen crashes after waking from sleep (hibernate) mode S3. The blue screen message is usually MEMORY_MANAGEMENT but can also be IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and PFN_LIST_CORRUPT. Please update the BIOS to prevent this in the future! From what I understand from other users with similar configurations, there is no way to solve this issue currently! FYI, my BIOS settings are mostly on AUTO or DEFAULT settings.

View this thread:
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-e...p-state-27296/

I would like to know that GIGABYTE is aware of this problem and working towards a solution! THANK YOU!

Reply From Gigabyte:

regarding S3 please examine your memory which could be cause by it. Attempt to test with single module or swap it out and test with an different module to further isolate the issue

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You should reply and ask them if THEY have tested it with Dual channel enabled and 2x2GB or more.

And also mention that they said the same things were told to users with P35 S3 issues about it not being reproducible, which has now been fixed by BIOS update. Here is the P35 Thread (Image posted on page one of this thread showing BIOS update proof for S3 Fix on P35 (Post #9) >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/sleep-something-26895/

AnandTech - Trouble with gigabyte ep35-ds3r- suspend / standby problems

silentpcreview.com | View topic - ga-p35-ds3p trouble recovering from sleep?

Hey, while I was looking up those pages, I also found a few saying P35 S3 it helped to disable HPET in the BIOS. Not a fix for sure by disabling a security feature, but just thought I would share incase you guys wanted to test. Of course with the necessary voltages applied as well.... MCH added and DDR2 set to spec

Like I said earlier, I will be speaking with my Contact at Gigabyte about this. She seems to speak English pretty well, and has told me she will do what she can with any issues I have. I will be emailing her next week about this issue

Uhhh, I just followed LSD's hint to Disable HPET. Fresh boot up, S3 WORKED!!

I'm gonna do some work, play some games for half an hour. I'll report back.

EDIT: I can remain stable as long as I don't open mozilla firefox. If I open it I get an error saying win32k.sys
    Last edited by arctia; 09-13-2008 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmoeller View Post
    I tried already +.1, +.16 and +.2 MCH Core, without influence.

I have an external USB Harddisk (Western Digital My Book 1TB Office Edition), which crashes the pc during booting of the bios. It did this on a 5 year old MSI mainboard and again on this GA-EP45-DS3R. It has not been a problem on some other Gigabyte mainboards. And disabling Legacy USB Storage Detect solved the problem already. Still, thx for the hint. Anyway for the S3 sleep and resume tests I had it always unplugged.

I use an USB keyboard and mouse, and I need to keep those options enabled. Otherwise I don't have any keyboard support on the Vista advanced boot options screen (the one that shows up after a Vista crash right before booting).

So far it seems to be either a hardware problem of the mainboard, a bug in the bios or a software problem of Vista.
    That WD MyBook is a horrible setup......I had the same one.....I stripped out the hard drive out of it and converted it to an E-Sata and it cured all evils & improved the drive performance 100%.
    Last edited by zzonko; 09-13-2008 at 11:18 PM.

I'll try the HPET test and see what happens. The responses from Gigabyte are infuriating...argh!
    Thanks, LSD, for keeping tabs on this. We look forward to whatever you learn from your discussions with Giga.
    -MXC

@Kythlyn: Thanks for your post to Gigabyte. If everyone takes the time to report to them, I believe they will address the issue.
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
    Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

Ok, I tested the HPET issue: set my MCH Core voltage to 1.3v; set my memory voltage to 2.14v (which seems to keep it closer to 2.1v when I check it from Vista); set HPET off. The system did come back from S3, but after running through the Everest benchmark suite, it blue-screened. Same old crap. No, I'm afraid someone at Gigabyte is going to have to address this issue and say "I actually care". So far, no joy.
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
    Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

I have the same problems with booting and then some. I have a similar system. The board goes into a boot loop kind of situation.Ya have to pull power to straighten it out.might just can this board.
    inwin GT1 Mid tower
    Gigabyte GA-X99-UD5,
    Intel 5820k Processor. Crucial
    DDR4
    2133, Cooler Max 750 watt
    power supply. Asus/Nvidia GTX 760 2gb

video card. Samsung 120 gb SSD,

Western Digital 2TB hard Drive.

Another problem I've found is that when I do actually get S3 working, sometimes it won't wake up properly and then when it does wake up, all of the BIOS settings are lost.

EDIT: Disabling HPET doesn't fix it for me either
    Last edited by Redmist; 09-14-2008 at 02:32 PM.

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread Information