Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-EP45-DS3R unstable after sending to S3(STR) sleep state

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-EP45-DS3R unstable after sending to S3(STR) sleep state

Right, Shut it down saves the most power.

In all reality the Power you save from using DES is only about $2 a year for a 24/7 run commpared to one without it.

And we all buy the boards to overclock anyway so seems even more mute that they add the feature at all. Thus the new "Advanced" DES which allows for overclocking. "Kinda" I would assume, but I have no doubt not many overclockers would even give it a try anyhow, no control over things. Kinda waste of tech in my book

Glad to hear you are having good luck with your Crucials, Many others are not so lucky. But again my opinions on that is largely based on P35. I have not seen enough on P45 yet or have got myself one to make a more valid opinion though

Hey! Crucial Or Kingston, which is it???

Yeah I really don't care about the power, it's more about the convenience and not having to listen to my case fans. I could just use hibernate I guess, but the bigger issue is paying for a feature I'm not getting (I didn't pay for DES, but I definitely did pay for a motherboard capable of sleeping). And I have crucial, the other guy is using kingston, did you confuse us?

Ahh yeah I must have gotten you two confused. Guess I better pay attention! HAHA

I guess you could hibernate......Have you tried it at all, I dont think S3 is really that much faster then S1 or hibernate is it? I dont know as I have never really "Used" any of them for anything real other then a test here or there to see if S3 worked on my board for someone

Usually I hibernate anyway. The thing with S3 was just that the Vista shut down dialog always shows sleep as first option. And if I hit ok by accident I would just have started a guaranteed crash. But this can be fixed using S1. Still it does not make me happy to buy a new board where I have to find out some features don't really work lol.

But then again, I don't want to RMA it if it is really just S3 not working and maybe wait for month for the board to come back (aka having no pc) to find out that nothing is solved. And just buying a new board from another brand isn't worth it either to me.

Btw. the S1 sleep mode seems completely worthless. Maybe it saves I tiny bit of energy, but I really doubt it. It just switches the monitor off and continous running in idle. So I still have all the noise from fans etc (and perhaps if I am lucky the tiny bit of energy saved). So if I want to have the monitor switched off, then I do that with the power button on the monitor and not S1 lol.

You can change all of that in vista so you dont have to worry about a accidental crash, if you want to

Go To Control Panel, Power Options, Then click change plan settings on the selected Plan that is checked that you are using. From there you will see a "Put the Computer to Sleep" option. Then in that same box choose "Change Advanced Power Settings" and go down to start menu area and change the settings as shown in image to "Shut Down" (This will fix what you just addressed).

I hate it also and always change all 3 of these to never, and shut down soon as I install Vista Always

You can also Fully disable hibernation using the Command Prompt if you like, I do >>>

1. Click Start, All Programs, and then right click on "Command Prompt".
    2. From the context menu click on "Run as administrator".
    3. In the command prompt window, type "powercfg -H OFF" (without the quotes).
    4. Close the Command Prompt window

Use powercfg -H ON to turn it back on.
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 08-11-2008 at 03:07 PM.

Thx for the guide how to change to "Shut Down" as default.

Hibernation I want to keep enabled as replacement for the "missing" S3 state.

Alrighty then, Well at least you can now fix that start button choices and the Shut down button will now shut down instead of sleep. I hated that when vista first came around, took me a minute to find how to change it around

I've come to the conclusion that S1 is no faster than a fresh reboot.

I agree thus I do not use it, With Vista S3 isnt much faster either unless you have Tons of Crap running at bootup

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information