Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread: GA-EP45-DS3R unstable after sending to S3(STR) sleep state

Default Re: GA-EP45-DS3R unstable after sending to S3(STR) sleep state

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    HAHA, Miss the BSOD eh!

I can make you a .reg key that will create a Hotkey so you can BSOD anytime you want, just let me know.

Nice to hear you are up and running smoothly!
    Nah, I think I'll live without it. I noticed that some default settings on the board had changed since I flashed the BIOS. The timing for my Crucial Ballistix ram is more accurately now at 4-4-4-12 1.9v. It was 5-5-5-18 2.2v on F5. Both settings passed ramtest, though.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Nice to see you are up and running!! No BSOD hotkey for you eh? HAHA, Why not? J/K

Hi, I just put my EP45-DS3R back in service after I saw the F10 S3 fix announcement.

Unfortunately I have had 2 out of 7 fail to wake failures after applying the update, that is pretty much the same failure rate as before the F10 release.

Symptoms are always the same, system goes to sleep, time passes, press [Ctrl] on USB keyboard, PSU turns on, fans fire up, VGA does not wake up (screen LED stays off), disk LEDs do not wake up (no red LEDs), system does not resume, USB keyboard does not light up, reset required, Windows reports startup failure, start normal works.

I did the F10 update, restart, load optimized defaults, restart, enabled RAID, enabled 64bit HPET, left everything else at auto.

RAM auto values defaults to 1.8V, but Mushkin specs require 2.0 to 2.1V.
    I tried setting RAM profile to standard, and changed voltage from 1.8V and 2.0V, no difference.
    Prime95 and memtest ran fine 1.8V and 2.0V.

I read the recommended settings for the P45 boards and see the MCH voltage should be set to 0.1-0.2V higher than auto. I tried changing the default 2.0V value to 2.1V, but the system fails to boot when I do this, I chane it back to auto and the system boots fine.

System:
    Vista Ultimate x64 SP1
    GA-EP45-DS3R, F10
    Intel Q9650, Quad Core, 3GHz
    Mushkin XP2-8500, 996599, 4x2GB=8GB, 2.0-2.1V (set to 2.0)
    ATI HD4850
    4x500GB Seagate SATAII, 120GB RAID10, 800GB RAID10
    Lite-On SATA DVD-RW

Any other ideas?

P.

Have you tried with setting the RAM to the specs timing (and voltage of course)?

You have the newest graphics card driver? (I guess so, but just to make sure).

F10 BIOS is correctly installed, so it shows up as F10 on the first boot screen? (same as above).

You don't have any other USB devices pluged in beside mouse and keyboard? (Some USB harddisks can cause trouble).

The only thing special with your hardware seems to be the RAM. Have you tried what happens if you reduce to 4GB (2 sticks) or 2GB (1 stick)? Just to see if the problem is related with your RAM.

A full post of settings that fail would be needed to best answer you, but I can say Auto is not going to cut it, especially if you are overclocked.

And the above USB/External Device comments are for sure issues often as well

And you did Memtest86+ your ram one by one (5-10 Passes) when you got it right? To be sure you did not get sent any faulty modules?
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-30-2008 at 05:51 PM.

Hi, I got recommended timings from the Mushkin forum, but those made things even worse.
    After the resume fail, reset, the BIOS would beep lots of times then reboot in safe settings.
    See: Mushkin Support Forums • View topic - 4 x 2GB XP2-8500 in GA-EP45-DS3R board S3 resume hang

I have several external USB devices (UPS, keyboard, mouse, scanner, printer), and the system is not of much use without them, so I don't really see how if I remove them and it solves the S3 resume hang problem is gong to be a solution?

I have tested the memory using memtest86+ and using windows memtest, no problems.
    I have tested the system using prime95 and EVERYST, no problems.
    I am using the system for photo editing, video editing, and software development without stability issues.

I am really beginning to think that since the system runs perfectly (when not sleeping), and that only sometimes resume from S3 fails, that this is not a memory problem but that the F10 BIOS did NOT 100% correct the S3 resume problem?

If you really think it is memory, I will provide screenshots of all BIOS pages.

Thanks
    P.

Hi all im new here. I have just built a new system using the GA-EP45C-DS3R motherboard and I am having the BSOD after S3 resume.

My specs
    GA-EP45C-DS3R
    Intel Quad Core Q6600
    TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX DDR2 4GB
    HD4850 1GB Graphics card
    650W PSU

I have read through these pages and it seems people are having mixed results from the new bios update?
    As I am a newbie just wanted to check the correct procedure for updating the bios to the newest available (f10?) should I follow the qflash guide (sticky on this forum)?

thanks in advance

Yeap, please do follow this Guide >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Here is your boards BIOS page >>>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-EP45C-DS3R (rev. 1.0)

Auto for all your settings is not going to work though, it may if you are not overclocking but not too often does that happen. If you are at stock I would go ahead and test it out though and see how it goes. But if it still fails that just means you need to manually set and tweak your settings is all

F5 is the latest for your board, and it does not have the S3 fix noted so your board may have never had a issue with it and it just may be your settings. Either way F5 is was after the S3 fix was implemented so it should be included

thanks for your reply

I will not be overclocking, well at least for the moment, I just want a stable system with the use of S3. So the settings I need to alter is that memory timings? and do you recomend anything to tweak?

sorry if this sounds stupid, I am a newbie

thanks

You may or may not need to change things. But I would at least set MCH Voltage to 1.2-1.3, set your ram to it's spec'd voltage and put performance enhance on standard.

Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 LastLast

Thread Information