Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-EP45-DS3R unstable after sending to S3(STR) sleep state

Default Re: GA-EP45-DS3R unstable after sending to S3(STR) sleep state

Quote Originally Posted by mmoeller View Post
    If it was a known issue with P35 boards, then it is perhaps a design problem with the P45 as well, and not a defect of my board (which I feared most).
    Well, my GA-EP45-DQ6, bios F5, Mushkin 996558, and Vista Ult. x64 SP1 crashes from sleep too, so I'd say a design problem.

Annoying the default sleep. A bit away from brand new computer, and then find it apparently out of power. Even more scary, the press of power button did show "screen unlock" of Vista instead of "BIOS booting". And then immediate BSOD. Took a while to guess what happens (and all the time the fear of faulty hardware lurks in mind).

S1, S3 sleep state and Hibernate are not that much faster than fresh booting, at least with a newly installed Vista. But it is usefull if you have like 10 applications with open documents etc. arranged on your desktop and you have to shut down the pc for the night. Then I prefer just to freeze the pc into a state where it does not produce any noise (and consumes little to not energy) and can resume work the next day right where I was. Or the same if I leave the pc for a few hours. And right there the S3 sleep would be nice, since it is faster than hibernate.

@mv2devnull: I assume you know that you can switch off the auto-sleep feature (and have done so already)? Otherwise just check the advanced power settings as shown in the screenshot of Lsdmeasap. There you can set, that Vista should never fall to sleep on its own. Its a stupid feature anyway (at least for me), because Vista thinks I want to send the pc to sleep when I leave it alone to calculate somthing for a few hours. But the default Vista is wrong, since I want it to work and not to sleep, except I say so.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You can also extend the sleep to happen at any set time period

Good thing I'm not alone. I really didn't want to RMA this board.

I've recently purchased 2 Gigabyte EP45-DS3L motherboards for myself and my wife, along with a pair of Core2 E8400's running Vista64 SP1. Lo and behold, my system can wake from S3 with no issues. My wife's will crash within 1-2 minutes of resuming from S3 sleep. The bios is configured identically on both machines and they're completely stable otherwise.

The only differences are the memory type and video card. I have a Geforce800GTS 512 / 8GB Corsair, she has a Radeon 4850 / 4GB Transcend.

The real kicker is, my system used to blue screen after S3 also, but something I did made it quit - and I can't reproduce it on my wife's.

Well for your system to have 8GB and hers to have 4GB with the same settings is a issue in itself, and that is likely the cause of her issues.

She would for sure need different ram timings and voltages.... And AUTO is not going to work so great for 4GB, as I am sure you see with your 8GB

She should need these things (At the very least) manually set. Performance Enhance set to Standard. DDR2 voltage set to her ram's specified amount, MCH Core voltage adjusted to 1.3 or more, trfc set to 52-62, and Static tRead Value set to 7-10

Thanks for your tips Lsdmeasap. Unfortunately, they don't seem to make a difference in our case. Keep in mind our machines are COMPLETELY STABLE other than the resume from S3 problem. After further testing, I'm convinced this is an engineering problem with this board/bios.

2x Gigabyte EP45-DS3L (Bios F7) tested with identical results:

2x Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5, either pair/channel
    = Board blue screen within 1 minute after S3 resume.
    4x Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5, both channels full = Board stable after S3.

2x Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5 + 2x Transcend 2GB either channel = Board blue screen within 1 minute after S3 resume.

2x OCZ 1GB any channel
    = Board blue screen within 1 minute after S3 resume.

1x OCZ 1GB any channel = Board stable after S3 resume.

This was tested with manual memory timings (per your previous post) and automatic settings. I will stress again that our machines are both rock solid otherwise. My wife hits the AoC hard, and it never even blinks.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Hmm, Well the only other thing I could suggest is be sure you manually try setting the MCH to +2-35 and also manually set the ram Voltage itself to spec on ram sticker

Corsair and OCZ do not play well with GA boards. Even though otherwise it is stable for you, this may be where you see a fault. Can you Borrow a stick or two from someone of Non Corsair, Crucial, or OCZ and see if it fairs any better?

Also as previously said in this thread it could just be the same issue faced by P35 BIOS which they have now released a BIOS update to fix. Which I have not personally tested nor seen tested yet.

Has anyone having these problems using Vista x64 tried to use Windows XP 32bit on the same machine?

I don't plan to switch back to Windows XP even if S3 would resume stable there. But from running both, XP 32 and Vista 64 on a GA-EP45-DS3* board we would know if it is a driver oder hardware/bios problem. If it works on XP but not on Vista, it is a driver problem with Vista. If resume crashes on both XP and Vista it is very very likely a bios/hardware problem, because Vista and XP don't use the same drivers.

Well in P35 it was Across the board, so it is very likely the same with P45, they just last month released a BIOS update which I posted about on Page 1 that fixed this. So maybe soon you will see in P45 BIOS's

Everyone just needs to email The GA tech team and keep reminding them about that BIOS update fro P35 and ask for one for P45, and link to this thread. The more emails sent likely the better

Has anyone had any luck in fixing this yet? I am having the exact same problem. My setup:

CPU: E8400
    MB: GA-EP45C-DS3R
    RAM: Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF
    Video: EVGA GeForce 8600GT
    PSU: Seasonic 650W

I've tried disabling every integrated device on the board, lowered memory freq to 667, disabling all the advanced/automatic system tuning features. No effect whatsoever. When I restart from an S3 suspend I get a BSOD. Sometimes it happens immediately, other times it takes a few seconds/minutes. The error code varies. When I start from a cold boot the system is stable. Also, if I change to S1 the machine is stable all around (suspend/resume works fine).

It doesn't seem like this could be a memory compatibility issue since a fresh boot or using S1 seems to make it stable.

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information