Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-EP45-DS3R unstable after sending to S3(STR) sleep state

Default Re: GA-EP45-DS3R unstable after sending to S3(STR) sleep state

All,
    As recommended, I specifically spelled out this issue to Gigabyte Tech Support using their web interface so that they were aware how many people are having this problem. I'm very tempted to post the entire conversation I have had with Gigabyte since receiving this board. The most generous term I can come up with is *hopeless*. As far as I can tell, they have no interest in facing the issue directly. The sum total of their suggestions to me is essentially, "go out and buy several brands and speeds of memory and see if you have the same problem". Hey, maybe it's the language barrier... In any case, I am thoroughly unimpressed and at this point, would *NOT* buy another Gigabyte board. Just to balance out my negativity here, I should add that the folks from EVGA and SuperTalent have been very helpful and supportive, and I would not hesitate to purchase from them again. Free market forces at work, eh?
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
    Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

mxcrowe, I do agree with you..... however waiting for bios updates is like waiting for the grass to grow. Although its probably not worth messing with, I just thought those settings (or whatever name they are given on your bios) might be worth looking into. The fact the both boards are coming from the same manufacturer might indicate general similarities in the approach to the design of the bios - but that's pretty much it. It seems as though the sleep issues have been given the same low priority (as compared to other issues) by the engineers for both gigabyte boards. I am somewhat familiar with the differences between both systems. There is just so many possible combinations of bios settings that any one person would be hard pressed to go through them all (and test for S3 issues). Best of luck guys......

Also, my system (although a different gigabyte board) is also vista64 sp1, and 4 gig memory.

Yes, I agree...I'm not holding my breath for a BIOS release to fix this. Giga doesn't seem to even want to acknowledge the problem so far.
    For sure, this seems to be an overlap of 1) Gigabyte P43/P45 based mobos; 2) Vista64 sp1; and 3) two (or more?) sticks of memory
    I think I noted above that I can get openSUSE Linux to work properly on the same system, including suspend to RAM and suspend to disk...same F7 BIOS.
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition

Interesting that it works properly with openSUSE. So, openSUSE goes to real S3 state, with all fans stopped, harddisks stopped and power led off? And all 4GB of ram works before and after resume? Just want to make sure, since on linux it is more likely to find workarounds for operations that are tricky to get to work on some hardware.

If it is a "real" S3 sleep (so the same that Vista attempts to go to) on Linux then it is more likely to be a Vista driver problem. But still it could be a hardware or bios problem. In case the Linux kernel has some work arounds for some bugs in bios/hardware which the Vista drivers do not have, then it would still be the fault of the bios/hardware and not a problem of the driver (also the driver could solve it perhaps).

Yes, it is full S3 (suspend to RAM, in Linux). I haven't measured current draw or anything, but the system is off and quiet. Upon keypress, it wakes up immediately and operates without error. I can suspend to RAM and return multiple times, no problem. This hardware was not whitelisted for suspend to RAM under Linux, so I had to force it (s2ram -f), then fix the buttons in KDE to make it "automatic", but it does work. So as I've said several times, I believe this is an overlap of P45/43, Vista, and multiple sticks of RAM. And, it should be stated that the whole S3 thing seems like black magic to everyone in the business, so it's no surprise to find problems there.
    HOWEVER, these memory incompatibility/instability issues with these Gigabyte boards are not confined to resume from S3. There is clearly something wrong, or at the very least, they are way too persnickety (sorry...sensitive). Even that I wouldn't mind, I mean, this stuff is complicated. But I really resent Gigabyte's total denial of the issue. After so many people have complained, they should at least acknowledge the problem and say they are working on a fix. Independent of technical issues, their customer/PR skills are zilch, in my opinion. I will NOT be a repeat customer for that reason alone.

I know if I enabled my version of C1E (which is called Cool-n-Quiet) that the system operates at half clock speed most of the time. Since I overclocked to 2533, I figured it would be running at approx. 1250 mhz. After just checking my speed a minute ago, it appears that I am not running overclocked (still reads 1100 mhz - this is stock speed w/Cool-n-Quiet enabled). The system seems to have reverted back to stock speeds (after waking from S3). Being this is an AMD system, you be right about it being a Vista64 sp1 problem. Of course that would not surprise me (even though sp1 was supposed to fixed a lot of the sleep issues).
    Looks like I need to do some more tests with my system......

Correction, I meant to say "you might be right about it being a vista64 sp1 problem."

Quote Originally Posted by mxcrowe View Post
    All,
    As recommended, I specifically spelled out this issue to Gigabyte Tech Support using their web interface so that they were aware how many people are having this problem. I'm very tempted to post the entire conversation I have had with Gigabyte since receiving this board. The most generous term I can come up with is *hopeless*. As far as I can tell, they have no interest in facing the issue directly. The sum total of their suggestions to me is essentially, "go out and buy several brands and speeds of memory and see if you have the same problem". Hey, maybe it's the language barrier... In any case, I am thoroughly unimpressed and at this point, would *NOT* buy another Gigabyte board. Just to balance out my negativity here, I should add that the folks from EVGA and SuperTalent have been very helpful and supportive, and I would not hesitate to purchase from them again. Free market forces at work, eh?
    I have to concur with you mxcrowe. I had almost the exact the same experience. I was at least able to get one beta BIOS out of them, although it didn't fix anything. After that I was told to return my memory and buy only memory on their "supported" list. Their supported list doesn't even have a configuration equivalent to what I have (2x2GB 1066), so following their request would be impossible anyway. After I brought this to their attention they simply told me to exchange the board with my vendor.

With an average 2-3 day response time from their support and zero results, I've had enough. I'm going back to Asus. Thankfully, I'm still within the return policy at my vendor. What a headache!

Ok, I finally got a reasonable response from Gigabyte. Rather than the normal run-around, they sent me the F9b BIOS and asked me to test with that. After (carefully) flashing using Q-Flash via floppy, I set to fail-safe settings, rebooted, and tested. System BSODs immediately upon return from S3. Then I set optimal default and basic things like the correct memory voltage and tried again. Same result. I'm back to my normal overclocked settings, plus some memory timing tweaks from LSD, so I'll test further today, but so far, it is looking like F9b is not the silver bullet.

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread Information