Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-EP45-DS3R unstable after sending to S3(STR) sleep state

Default Re: GA-EP45-DS3R unstable after sending to S3(STR) sleep state

I have now reported the problem to Gigabyte.

Like you I am used to perfect S3 behaviour on other machines including my wifes HP notebook (Vista32) and my previous desktop (XP) and in 2008 we should expect it.

Great. Thanks for contributing to the cause!
    For anyone else who is requested to provide their lot number, it turns out that this data can be found on a green label affixed to the audio port. Now, wouldn't it have been nice if Giga had told me that in the first place, rather than having me remove the mobo from the case for nothing!!?? Sometimes I think these guys are just having fun toying with me...
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
    Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

After a long discussion (cause of the usual approx 3 days response time to each message) Gigabyte suggests I return the board to my dealer. As I think I mentioned above somewhere this does not really help me, since I do not intend to be without mainboard and pc for weeks just to get (eventually) S3 to work. And the online support does not rise my hopes to get a working S3 from returning the board. Like, why do they ask me the batch number of the board when I have given them the serial number already. Don't they keep record of the manufacturing process for each serial number?

Anyway, I just thought I would post the conversation with the Gigabyte support here, since many seem to have the same problems here. I don't really expect this to help anyone here, but you never know.

The log is in inverse order, so the oldest message is at the bottom:

Answer : Dear Mr. Möller,

If the S3 problem persists with the memory set to default values i guess,
    your motherboard is faulty.
    please return it to your dealer. He can send it to GIGABYTE for further investigations.

Best regards

GIGABYTE-Team

------------------

Sent : 8/27/2008 01:10

Question : yes, the SPD is programmed to DDR2 667, 5-5-5-15 timings at 1.8V. I have changed all the bios settings for the memory to auto, which results in the bios using the SPD values. So the memory runs now at DDR2 667, 5-5-5-15 timings at 1.8V (verified on the running system with CPU-Z as well). The CPU is running at 3Ghz as specified by Intel. FSB clock is 333 Mhz, so memory runs with a multiplier of 2 and the CPU with a multiplier of 9.

The memory is memtest stable at these settings as well (and stability is guaranteed by Kingston).

These settings are not what I intend to use finally, but I can use them to check wheter the S3 problems are caused by fact the the SPD is programmed to DDR2 667 and I had set it to DDR2 800.

The system runs prime95 stable after a fresh boot. If I send the system to S3 sleep (without any programs running) and wake it up with the power button it returns, but shows a bluescreen 5 seconds after returning. So again, even with the memory running at its SPD default settings, the S3 sleep state does not work.

Best regards

Michael Möller

------------------

Answer : Dear Mr Moeller,

We have checked your configuration.
    This issue might be caused by the Kingston memory.
    This is real DDR2 667 memory, the SPD is programmed with DDR2 667 timings at 1.8 Volt DDR2 voltage.
    http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KHX6400D2LLK2_2G.pdf
    If you are running the memory at DDR2 800 CL4 timings this can cause memory errors in S3. You can not see this errors by checking the memory with memtest.
    Please try other memory with standard DDR2 800 CL5 timings at 1.8 Volt DDR2 voltage.

Best regards

GIGABYTE-Team

------------------

Sent : 8/23/2008 02:08

Question : The following numbers are on my mainboard:

LOT.NO.: 8|5189K
    PT: 68
    ICT: 68-I (or maybe 68-1 or 68-4, not very well printed).
    FQC: A39

REV.: 1.0

It should be possible to reproduce the problem, since I am not alone with it. At least there are a other users with Gigabyte P45 mainboards that have the exact same problem. If it helps to narrow down the problem you can find the details of their systems and problem descriptions in this forum thread (I am the user mmoeller there):

http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-e...p-state-27296/

A user there noted as well, that not long ago there has been a Gigabyte bios patch related to S3 mode problems for P35 boards. Maybe it is the same problem on the P45 boards.

Best regards

Michael Möller

------------------

Up to now we could not duplicate this issue.
    We need some more details to do further investigation:

Can you please provide the LOT Nr (see attached screenshot) and the motherboard Rev. number?
    You will find the Rev. Nr printed on the motherboard near the big ITE chip located in front of PCI 1 slot.

Best regards

GIGABYTE-Team
    Attachment : :

------------------

Sent : 8/22/2008 03:09

Question : I have installed the Intel chipset driver 9.0.0.1008 and updated Windows Vista, but the problem is not solved.

Best regards

Michael Möller

------------------

Please try the following:

Update the Intel Chipset drivers to the latest version 9.0.0.1008.
    After this please visit microsoft update and install the latest updates on your system.
    this can solve the issue.

Best regards

Manfred Kinder
    GIGABYTE-Team

------------------

Sent : 8/15/2008 17:23

Question : Dear Mr Kinder,

I have tried to wake up the system from S3 using the mouse, the keyboard or the power button. The system wakes up in all 3 test cases, but is unstable (random bluescreens after a few seconds/minutes after resume) in all 3 cases as well.

I do not have any other programs running when I send Vista to S3 sleep state. Its just the operating system as it is after a fresh boot.

Best Regards

Michael Möller

------------------

How do you wake up the system from S3?
    By keyboard, by mouse or by power button.

Are there any other programs running when you let the system go to S3?

Best regards

Manfred Kinder
    GIGABYTE-Team

------------------

Sent : 8/12/2008 02:03
    Question : The system is unstable (random bluescreens) after resume from S3(STR) sleep state. The bluescreens show up right after resume from sleep or about 1-2min after that.

The system runs perfectly stable after fresh boot. Prime95 stress test stable (CPU). FurMark stress test stable (GPU). Memtest86+ stable with complete 4GB RAM at 4-4-4-12 timings and 2.0V. The system is operated at default settings, no overclocking. All the temps are in the green range.

All the stability problems after return from sleep state disappear if I change the ACPI suspend type from S3(STR) to S1(POS) in the BIOS or if I reduce the RAM to just 1x1GB. But I need it to be stable with S3(STR) and 4x1GB RAM.

I replaced the power supply, without effect. Tested weaker timings on the RAM 5-5-5-15, without effect. Tested FSB at 333 Mhz and 400 Mhz, without effect.

Since the system is stable except for resuming from S3 sleep state, I think the problems are caused either by the mainboard or the drivers for Vista x64. There are other users with exact the same problem and all different hardware, except they have a Gigabyte P45 mainboard and Vista x64 as well.

Is this a know issue and will be fixed with a BIOS update, or are there any settings that I can change to get a stable operation of the S3 sleep state? Or is there a fault on the mainboard?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Model Name : GA-EP45-DS3R(rev. 1.0)
    --------------------------
    M/B Rev : 1.0
    BIOS Ver : F8
    Serial No. : SN************
    Purchase Dealer : Digitec
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    VGA Brand : GIGABYTE Model : GV-NX96T512HP
    CPU Brand : Intel Model : E8400 Speed : 3.0 GHz
    Operation System : Vista 64-bit SP :
    Memory Brand : Type : DDRII
    Memory Size : 4x1GB Speed : 800 MHz
    Power Supply : 550 W

RAM: 2x Kingston KHX6400D2LLK2/2G

Latest Drivers for the mainboard and graphics card as well as Vista SP1.

I signed up for this site specifically to troubleshoot my issues I've been having with my system going into an infinite reboot loop, but it looks like I'm experiencing very similar issues that all of you guys are running into it. For a moment I wasn't sure if it was a mobo, videocard, or PSU problem but I am pretty certain at this point this is caused by the Gigabyte mobo.

My system unfortunately has trouble hibernating too. After reading about everyone's problems I decided to give hibernation a try. 1st try, it took me back to the Windows Login screen. 2nd try the system went to Hibernation. Upon restarting, there was a BIOS checksum error and had to recover (I'm assuming from the 2nd BIOS?).

I first thing I did after encountering the problem was email Gigabyte support, but it's been a few days and I've yet to have received any response from them. In today's world, this is not acceptable Customer Service. Not even a single email to confirm they've received your response!

I hope Gigabyte is reading this forum and puts a fix to this issue soon. I'd hate to have to RMA the board. This has already left a sour taste in my mouth and will make me reconsider my buying decision the next time, but if no fix ever comes about Gigabyte just lost another customer to Asus. I'm already questioning whether or not it was a wise choice to go with this board instead of an Asus P5Q Pro.

FWIW, here are my system specs:

Intel E8400
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R w/ F9 bios
    2gb OCZ Platinum 1066mhz DDR2
    XFX 9800 GT
    Antec Sonata III Case w/ EarthWatts 500w PSU
    Windows XP SP3 32bit

FWIW, I have C1E, C2E, C4E all enabled and I'm not overclocking at all. My ram was tested in Memtest in a previous system and there wasn't an issue with it.
    Last edited by Rezerected; 09-02-2008 at 08:01 PM.

Rezerected, Yes, you are in good company - lots of people feeling the same pain (and having the same regrets). I really miss S3...it is something I use a lot. I have Vista x64 on my HP notebook (dv2000) and it just goes into S3 and back literally hundreds of times before I ever think to reboot. Absolutely zero problems with this machine using the same O/S. I know S3 is a tricky thing, but it seems others have figured out how to make it work, so I hope Gigabyte can do the same.
    As for customer service...not their strong suit... Could be a language/culture barrier, I just don't know. The best way to contact them is through the web support page:

GIGABYTE - Support - Technical Service Zone

Generally, they respond in 24 hours. They don't work weekends and Chinese holidays...
    Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
    -MXC
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition

All,
    I spent all day testing memory in my system. First, I removed my Super Talent memory and put in an extra set of 2x1GB sticks of 667Mhz memory (OCZ). This memory ran fine - tons of benchmarks with no problem. I put the machine into S3 Sleep mode many times and was able to return without any blue screens or problems of any kind. I must have gone into and returned from S3 10+ times.
    So, I then ran the same tests with my original Super Talent memory (2x2GB 800mhz), but only with one stick at a time. As I had found earlier, the system will also run fine and return from standby over and over again with no blue screens, as long as I only use ONE stick of memory -- EITHER ONE! If I use both sticks of memory, the system will blue screen coming out of S3 standby. I tried this many times at stock settings, then moved to my OC settings. In both cases, the system comes back from S3 like a normal machine.
    So clearly, this is an issue with how the system manages greater than 2GB of RAM. As I said, either one of my DIMMs will run all day long, go in and out of S3, and has no problems at all. So my choice is to have a nice stable system using one stick of 2GB or to go to 4GB of dual channel, but no S3 sleep mode. For now, I'm using just 2GB and hoping Gigabyte can come up with a fix.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

What MCH and ram voltages were you using with th 2x2 800Mhz tests? I have seen in P35 that more MCH and Manually set Ram voltages also helped with S3 issues for some users

For the 2x2GB tests (which always fail via BSOD, btw, and which I didn't run today) I used a setting of 1.2v (+0.1 from BIOS defaults) for MCH Core. For the OC tests I ran today, I actually set MCH back to Auto because I noticed in EasyTune that the system was setting it to 1.3v by itself, so I was actually setting it low at 1.2v. I have always been manually setting RAM voltage to 2.1v, as per instructions from Super Talent. This shows up as 2.064v in EasyTune's HW monitor...well below the commanded voltage.
    Think it's worth trying to set MCH and DRAM a bit higher manually? I don't want to fry anything here...
    Man, I have to tell you, it's sure nice going into S3 and back all day. I wish I had my extra 2GB of memory, but that's life (for now). I ran 3DMark06 and ended up with essentially the same scores even with one DIMM missing (12,314 3DMarks).

I don't get yet a clear picture of what is going wrong. Your tests suggest, that it is a driver/bios problem if the system has to handle S3 state with 4gb of ram, and that all is fine and stable with 2gb.

If I didn't do anything wrong, than my first tests said, that on my system which has 4x1gb of ram, I need to reduce it to just 1 stick (1gb) to get it stable. So this means that it could be related to single vs. double channel as well.

How did you test 2x1gb? Do they run stable in both versions, single channel and dual channel setup? How is it with 2x2gb?

I guess I will have to redo the tests with 1gb and 2x1gb single/dual channel setup on my machine, since I am no 100% sure what I tested for 2x1gb.

If it is just a driver/bios problem, then why do I need to reduce down to 1gb and you to 2gb, for stable S3.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ya, if it was me I would test MCH 1.3 and 1.35 or so, and ram 2.1 or 2.15 if that is what your board will give you at the next up from 2.1.

Nothing will fry, especially just for some tests. I see people use 2.5 on ram and 1.6 on MCH often for super benchmarks so you will be fine for sure with little bumps such as those.

Keep in Mind AUTO Fluctuates at the systems will so it may not always be what you see when you look

It IS a BIOS issue, And was for a LONG time for P35. Now sure various other items surely canb/do come into play as well but the main issue is the coding in the BIOS

So likely just the Same old same old that they could not fix before they shipped boards out and are likely still going nutz about trying to fix it

See post #9 in this thread

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread Information