Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: GA-EP45-DS3R unstable after sending to S3(STR) sleep state

CaneMan is offline Junior Member

Default Re: GA-EP45-DS3R unstable after sending to S3(STR) sleep state

I have the same board and according to the command "powercfg /a" it is not compatible with S3. The GA-EP35C-DR3R seems to be also not compatible. Is this correct?
    Attached Images Attached Images GA-EP45-DS3R unstable after sending to S3(STR) sleep state-gigabyte-s3-jpg 

You need to switch from S1(POS) to S3(STR) sleep state in the BIOS first.

BIOS -> Power Management Setup -> ACPI Suspend Type -> S3(STR) [instead of S1(POS]

If I have set it to S1(POS) in the BIOS, the command shows the same as you posted for my system. This is correct since the BIOS is configured for S1. If the BIOS is set to S3, then the command should show support for S3. Which is no guarantee that S3 really works without problems, but at least there is the option to try it then.

I have told Gigabyte support about this thread, so in theory they should know about it (see my post #63). But I doubt they took a look here.
    Last edited by mmoeller; 09-06-2008 at 07:22 PM.

I just got my ds3r board yesterday, overclock to 400mhz FSB. Only setting not on auto is Vcore. If S3 sleep state is chosen in the bios, putting the computer to sleep from Vista will never make it come back, I just get a blank screen. Although if I do a power reset, I get "resume to windows" and was able to slowly booting into Vista with all my leftover work in tact.

What seems really funny to me is that I think the machine is working, just nothing shows. If you have a radeon 4850/4870 with fan fix, you know that everytime you power on, come back from sleep, etc will cause the fan to go from quiet to somewhat loud. That's exactly what's happen. I can hear the fan fix going into effect, just nothing shows up on my screen. I also notice my keyboard and mouse doesn't seem to have power when I try to come back from sleep.

EDIT: Using 2x1GB A-Data 5-5-5-18 Value RAM, 1.8V, all settings on default.
    Last edited by arctia; 09-06-2008 at 08:48 PM.

CaneMan is offline Junior Member

Thanks mmoeller. Change to S3 in BIOS. Your right, it does not work. I get BSOD when the system comes out of sleep. I am running Vista Ultimate 32bit

Edit I have also put in a complaint to Gigabyte.
    Last edited by CaneMan; 09-06-2008 at 11:29 PM.

@LSD: Yes, I understand (and appreciate) your position. Thanks for whatever attention you can bring to the issue. It's not the end of the world - just a bit of convenience. Perhaps someday Giga will discover the cure. I'm certainly pleased that so many others who find this thread have contacted Giga to report the anomaly. At least they know it is fairly widespread.
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition
    Ultra X-connect X2 550-watt PSU; Vista x64 SP1 and OpenSUSE 11.0 (KDE 4.1)

Hi everyone... I registered just to participate in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by penumbra View Post
    Ok, i'm fairly certain I'm experiencing the same symptoms here, i just want to verify the BSODs you guys are getting. i'm getting a few different ones.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
    MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
    I am getting the exact same BSODs when coming back from sleep mode. Sometimes it will happen instantly and I won't even see the logon screen, other times it will happen less than a minute after logging in (usually MEMORY_MANAGEMENT in that case).

I am using 2 x 2GB Kingston RAM. My build is basically the "Back to School" Sweet Spot over at Tech Report and running on Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit. The only difference is I put in the GTX 280 by eVGA instead of the 4870, I used a basic DVD-RW instead of the Blu-ray optic drive and I'm using the Antec Nine Hundred instead of the P182.

I really haven't tweaked much... almost everything is running at default settings (with the memory settings in the BIOS set to AUTO).

I hope working together we can all solve this issue even if our MB MFG can't.

I noticed an old thread on AnandTech regarding this issue and an ASUS MB. The solution according to JustaGeek was to "change the Jumpers' positions from +5V to +5VSB" for all the USB ports." JustaGeek went on to say, "Apparently Vista has +5VSB enabled by default, and the motherboards might have +5V enabled, which results in conflict. At least that's what happens in case of some ASUS boards." I really don't know what any of that means, but I wonder if this information is relevant to our situation.
    Last edited by Kythlyn; 09-11-2008 at 01:22 AM.

I'm not sure there is any connection to what many Gigabyte users are seeing, but who knows? I don't even know that there are any such jumpers on the Gigabyte boards, but perhaps they are referring to the pins on the USB blocks.
    The best way to move things forward is to submit your symptoms to Gigabyte on their technical support page. Go ahead and bring that thread regarding the USB jumpers to their attention - if there is any relevance, hopefully they will see it.
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L (BIOS F9); E7200 Core2Duo 2.53Ghz 1066Mhz FSB 3MB L2 (OC to 3.4Ghz); SuperTalent 2x2G DDR2-800 PC6400 CL 5-5-5-12 (T800UX4GC5); Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200 32mb cache HD; EVGA 8800GT 512MB Superclocked Edition

I have a GA-EP45-DSP4 and have also discovered this bug.

The only way that I can get S3 working properly is to underclock the FSB down to 333 or lower. Hibernation mostly works at 400FSB but I frequently get a bluescreen when resuming as well. I have tried bumping up MCH voltages and it make no difference at all.

I have tried dealing with Gigabyte support and whilst they are very friendly, they don't appear to have any clue about this problem. Their only advice is to upgrade to the latest BIOS but that hasn't worked so far.

So if your CPU has decent multipliers, then the only option (for now) is to underclock the FSB. Hopefully Gigabyte will fix this glaring bug very soon.

Yeah, it is definitely the most annoying part of the issue that they act as though this is some unique problem that only *you* have run into, when it is patently obvious that many people are having the same issue. For every person who finds their way to this thread, there must be at least 10 others who didn't and have the same problem. Really hard to understand the PR strategy behind this company...
    Keep pestering 'em.
    I'll try clocking down and see if that gives me a fix. Then I'll have to decide which sacrifice to make if I want S3: half my RAM or a bunch of my CPU speed...damn it.
    Redmist, can you please post your system specs for the record?

I am sure Gigabyte have heard of this S3 bug, but I think it is likely they have not yet seen it. Most people will not be prepared to RMA their board at this stage, and even if they did and factory support tested it, it might work OK back at the factory because of a different configuration. It is very difficult to fix a non-reproducible problem (ie. non-reproducible at the factory). Besides, it is probably a fairly rare event - I'm sure Giga have shipped a humungous number of these P45 boards and even taking into account the silent sufferers mentioned by mxcrowe, the affected customers are probably in the hundreds at the most. I want a solution too, but I'm realistic about our short term chances having lived on the factory end of the business (not Gigabyte or any associate).

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread Information