Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: raid1 migration and EP45-DQ6 5723

Default Re: raid1 migration and EP45-DQ6 5723

It is more likely that they disabled the (fake)raid support of the jmb363 chip. At least on the F5 BIOS the 'Ctrl-G' setup is clearly configuring the jmb363, and the "sata2raid" utility from Gigabyte does the same from Windows. Now if you are told that you have (two) hardware raid chips, and then you are given bios tool and windows utility, which have nothing to do with the hardware chips, you will be confused, big time. Hiding those tools is a reasonable safety measure against trivial foolishness.

The "Smart Backup Function" is thus a toggle used to choose whether the Sil5723 chips do RAID0 or RAID1, and RAID0 (hopefully) is the default. What does worry me is that there is no option to choose a stripe size, as is customary for RAID0. Even the fakeraids offer that.

However, the Sil5723 should be able to do more than just RAID0 and RAID1, neat things like "LARGE", "SAFE33" and "SAFE50". So, in perfect world there would not be "Enable Smart Backup on GS0&GS1", there would be "Choose mode from: LARGE, RAID0, RAID1, SAFE33, SAFE50, ...".

If I had to bet, I would say that GA does not yet know how to let us configure the mode of the Sil5723 chips. After all, you have to talk to Sil5723 via the jmb363. And Gigabyte has to talk to Jmicron and Silicon Image.
    Last edited by mv2devnull; 08-14-2008 at 02:16 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Well I know the J.Micron was the software based one. Now your next comments convinced me even more that They have advertised this board havign functions it dont.

I read you could use the Silicon Image for RAID0 and not have to use it as "Backup" only. Without being able to choose a stripe size that tells me right there the answer to my next question to you. Can you set it up for a NON Backup (OS) use, NOPE since you cannot even set the parameters Stripe or Chunk Sizes I doubt it can be used for anything useful to the large masses of users it appealed to when they bought it

Yeah, I dont think they do converse with them very well. A while back I was trying to get someone on the GA team to send me some P35 GA/J.Micron Drivers to be used in a DOS environment (16bit RAID Driver for Software development) Which they said they did not have, nor could they get. Asked J.Micron about it, and they sent me two variants one of which they said Gigabyte should have given me when I asked

I think all of our language barriers between everyone is the main trouble with a lot of software development and deployment for day to day use

Look at Gigabyte and Silicon Image sites and:
    * "Smart Backup" is the only advertised feature about DQ6/DS5 Sil5723 chips.
    * 57xx SteelVine Manager Manual from Sil does not mention setting stripe, and it does describe the BIG, FAST (=RAID0), SAFE, SAFE33, SAFE50, and JBOD modes supported by the 5723 chip. So Silicon Image does not seem to include RAID0 parameter reconfiguration into their chip, nor mention what is their default (and only) stripe size.

EP45-DQ6 is expensive, but it includes two 5723 chips so you can have two "Smart" Backup volumes. A dual port hw raid card (Areca or 3Dware) costs about as much as EP45-DS5. Four port hw raid card is at least 1.5 times the price of EP45-DS5. Thus, if you buy cheaper motherboard and a 4-port hw card, you get two RAID1 arrays (or configurable RAID0), but you have to pay twice as much as for EP45-DS5.

Asus has one 5723 (behind Marvell rather than J.Micron) in some P5Q boards, but they are about as good as Gigabyte on this matter.

Bottomline: Sil5723 offers a cheap "hardware" RAID. Very cheap, very simple. "One button solution", if (and only if) the button does what you need. And if it does not, it does not.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ahh Well I had read only a user footnote about it really before it was available to the public. And Honestly I just seen hardware RAID chip and no mention of what it could be used for.

Guess that is what I get for assuming. I guess my new board will be P45-DS4 or P35-DQ6.

Darn, I seem to have some read errors (according to SMART) in one of the drives I did use in testing. Have to sort that out first, before judging the SiI5723.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information