Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: X48T-DQ6 LAN Teaming

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: X48T-DQ6 LAN Teaming

Well, that does not sound good that they will not reply. Maybe they did not get it fixed or working?

Seems funny GA or Realtek could even ship out a device that did not work fully and had been tested when it shipped out to manufacturers

That would be like Intel shipping out a 8 Core CPU and saying "Here it is, We haven't tried it yet but you can. Ohh And of course yes, it works" without ever turning one on in there factory

MDDI is offline Junior Member

My point exactly.

Why advertise something that is there but doesn't work? If it doesn't work or the software is not developed to make it work, don't advertise it.

There is alot of competition in the MB market as well as the component manufacturers.

If I had to guess, Marvell came out with LAN Teaming support so Realtek told Gigabyte they had it too. Gigabyte advertised it.

Trust me, when I bought the Gigabyte board the LAN Teaming was not the reason why. But it is a feature I paid for so I would like the option to find out myself if I want to use or not.

Look at Quad BIOS. Come on, when my board failed Dual BIOS didn't help me let alone the other two backups. I read the posts. Anyone ever been saved by Quad BIOS?

This is why I want to test and check all the features of my board. I wonder what else doesn't work?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Right!!!

Ya, Dual has saved my board twice now, I modify my own BIOS's so I have made a few mistakes here and there and luckily have been saved by mine

But you are right most of the time dual or quad it fails

Anyway,

Lsdmeasap, thanks for your help. Looking forward to see where this goes.

I took a right turn there, back on the highway.

I have XP x64 OS. The LAN teaming does not work.

Has anyone been able to enable LAN Teaming with any OS?
    Last edited by MDDI; 08-16-2008 at 05:13 AM.

Hello !
    To enable lan teaming you need 2 differents isp connections.
    It mean 2 modem-routeur with differents connections id.
    (sorry for my bad english)
    qx9770@3.6 ghz ga-x48t-dq6 2x2go xmx3 1600 cl7 pov gtx280 ocz vendetta2

It's not the connections in question.

There does not appear to be any driver/utility available from Gigabyte/Realtek.

On the Linux the concept is usually referred to as "NIC Bonding". The teaming is not made by the NIC drivers there, (but they probably have to be co-operative). And quick search says that Realtek cards have not been the best "team-players".

IIRC, the other end of the cables should support the same mode of bonding (there have been more than one). After all, when you send a packet, it may leave through any NIC/cable in the team, and the other end must understand that packets from different cables belong to the same logical "connection". (And preferably load-balance the responses too.)

But load-balancing is not the only reason to team. The other is to be more fault-tolerant: if one cable/NIC breaks, the traffic can still use the other(s) without interruption.

If you do two ISP, you do not "team", but more likely balance the traffic already in the routing stage. The physical connections are separate, and routing logic decides which of them to use for each outgoing packet.

Teaming can only use in intranet

Janus,

Thank you for the response. Yes, I understand the "Teaming" function.

I just want to point out that Gigabyte advertises on the packaging of my X48T-DQ6 and other model boards with two NIC's "2 Gigabit LAN" with Teaming enabled.

Now Gigabyte has a motherboard with 4 NIC's and advertises "4 Gigabit LAN".

It does not make sense to advertise this if the driver/software does not exsist to enable teaming, bonding, link aggregation or any sort of multiple NIC sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by mv2devnull View Post
    On the Linux the concept is usually referred to as "NIC Bonding". The teaming is not made by the NIC drivers there, (but they probably have to be co-operative). And quick search says that Realtek cards have not been the best "team-players".

IIRC, the other end of the cables should support the same mode of bonding (there have been more than one). After all, when you send a packet, it may leave through any NIC/cable in the team, and the other end must understand that packets from different cables belong to the same logical "connection". (And preferably load-balance the responses too.)

But load-balancing is not the only reason to team. The other is to be more fault-tolerant: if one cable/NIC breaks, the traffic can still use the other(s) without interruption.

If you do two ISP, you do not "team", but more likely balance the traffic already in the routing stage. The physical connections are separate, and routing logic decides which of them to use for each outgoing packet.
    __________________________________________________ ____

Hey, thanks. You know more about this than I do.

I understand this may all be moot. My ISP upload/download speed won't fully utilize one 1 gigabit NIC let alone two.

I was curious if teaming (bonding) would help not drop packets?
    Last edited by MDDI; 08-20-2008 at 10:44 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information