Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EP45-DS4P Restart loop

Default EP45-DS4P Restart loop

Im having some major issues with my EP45-DS4P boards (in regards to memory - I think). I have two boards, the pc's are almost exactly the same builds.

One gets stuck in a reboot cycle (it will power up, but with no post then just reboot) unless I boot then pc with only 2 sticks of ram in slot 1 & 2. If i do that it seems to be fairly stable. However cannot handle all 8GB of ram (4x 2GB sticks).

But for some reason on the other the problem is minor (very rarely happens). Only when im running something intensive (such as a game and more stuff in the background). It will reset randomly, then start the reboot cycle until i remove the powercord and turn on again.

I have tried updating to F5 which is supposed to fix memory errors However that does not fix it, I've also tried updating to F6d (latest beta), also a no go.

The build specs of both pcs are:

Gigabyte Gigabyte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia GA-EP45-DS4P

Intel CORE2QUAD Q9300 on one
    Intel CORE2QUAD Q6600 Intel Core 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia on the other (the one with worse problems)

Corsair DDR2 DDR2 SDRAM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Twin2X 4096 6400C5 4Gb x2 on each

Western Digital 640G SATAII 7200 rpm HDD (WD6400AAKS)

Gigabyte GF GTX GeForce 9 Series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia 260 on one
    Gigabyte HD4870 on the other (the one with worse problems)

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to fix this? I don't really want to return this board if I don't have to, as I quite like the features and how it's set out.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: EP45-DS4P Restart loop

I would have to suggest you manually set a Few things, especially for 4-8GB of ram. You are right that is likely the issue.

So first off I would go back to F4 or F5 BIOS so you are not using a Beta (Which often cause other random memory issues) Then after you flash please ALWAYS Load "Optimized Defaults" then save and apply/reboot. Then go back in and make the changes you need to in the BIOS. This is a Very Important step you Need to do every time you flash a BIOS.

Please DO NOT USE @BIOS to flash with, use Qflash or DOS

Then you should make the following changes at least in the BIOS MIT section >>>

Clock Chip Control
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled

Advanced Timing Control
    tRFC...........................................52-62 (May need 65-72 for 8GB)
    Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

Motherboard Voltage Control
    Voltage Type.………... Manual

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: << Add +.2 or .3 (May need +.35 - .4 for 8GB)

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: Set to 2.1V <<< or 2.2 depending on your RAM's spec on sticker, But even if it is 2.2 2.1 is likely fine and best to use

If you would like a Full set of my suggestions for timings let me know, but the above for sure at least should be manually set and not in AUTO mode

*EDIT*

Also if you do not have a External USB hard drive you should go into Integrated Peripherals section and disable "Legacy USB Storage Detect" this often causes random issues
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008 at 02:17 PM.

Hi, I have tried setting the above settings. Doesn't seem to work. Note that I could not figure out how to do the other methods of flashing without a floppy drive so I did use @bios, could that be the reason why it's not fixing it?

No, If you had a @BIOS issue your board would not be working at all.

Is both boards not working with the above settings or just the one? Do they both work fine with 4GB?

To make this easier can you please post images of one of the boards MIT section with the settings you are trying so I can see if maybe you are overlooking something or if I should mention something else. Make sure I can see all MIT settings, ram ones as well if you have to click something to see them in a separate window be sure to include that
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 12-01-2008 at 02:17 PM.

Hi,

It doesn't work perfectly with 4GB, or even 2GB. But close enough to make life livable.

The one im on currently continues to run mostly alright with 8GB as long as I don't push it. (though just before I posted this, I had a few random restarts in a row - whilst not doing much at all, disconnecting the power cord for a short period seems to temporarily stabalize the issue.)

Unfortunatly I don't have access to the computer with the worse problems until sunday, so I will just post up the M.I.T. settings for this pc:

and the last two

Auto for all those memory timings is likely also part of your issue

Try these changes >>>

tRRD...........................................4-5
    tWTR..........................................12-15
    tWR............................................4-6
    tRTP...........................................4-6

Static tRead on both channels move to 10-12 for now

I do not see CPU Clock skew, if you have it you should try setting it to 150ps and seee if it helps

MCH Clock skew as well, try 250ps

Hi,

Turns out CPU CLock Skew and MCH Clock Skew are in 'Advanced Clock Control' - Missed them the first time. I have made the suggested changes. I will try to run it through some dif senarios to see if i can reproduce my error.

However I just thought i'd let you know I got an error when I entered MIT:

A red box with the text in it:

The system has experienced boot failures because of overclocking or changes of voltages.

Last settings in this page may not coincide with current H/W states.

That just means you tried something that was incorrect. Did you notice a triple boot? If not dont worry that message is normal if something is set wrong.... Like incompatible ram J/K but not really

Seeing as you said already even 2 or 4 GB wont work right you should believe me already by now

Let me know how you get along, I am about to leave for the night. I will see you tomorrow

yea no good, 5 minutes of warcraft 3 and the computer is reset once again. Do you suggest trying a different brand of ram? I might be able to try a few different types tonight. I'll let you know if I had any results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information