Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-EP45-DS3L: new pc shows Gigabyte screen then reboots

Question GA-EP45-DS3L: new pc shows Gigabyte screen then reboots

Greetings! Great that this support forum exists!

There are a lot of related errors posted here but none seem to be the same as mine. Today I received the components of my new rig:

GA-EP45-DS3L
    Cooler Master Real Power M520
    Intel Dual E8400
    Geforce 8800GT
    Samsung Spinpoint F1 320GB
    etc.

The only thing is: my Kingston HyperX 2x1GB haven't arrived yet so I am using this EUR 10 stick of 512MB from Apacer to test. This memory possibly sucks.

When I push the on/off button, there is a black screen listing CPU type, GPU type and "512 RAM". Only this, no logos or other texts. Then comes a screen showing the Gigabyte logo in colour and some options, including DEL for setup, F12 for boot et cetera. However, after showing this screen for a couple of seconds (say 5) it reboots. Pushing DEL before this happens has no effect at all. So there is no way I can get into BIOS settings or flash it, is there? This may repeat for a few times, then nothing will be shown though the fans keep spinning and the leds stay on.

When I put the memory in either bank 1 or 3, the above happens; when in 2 or 4, nothing shows up on the monitor in the first place. In either case the fans start spinning, all leds light up and there is one short beep (supposedly good).

I have meticulously researched all connectors on the internet and I believe I have them all set up correctly. Even though I am far from an expert.

Is there any chance my build will work as soon as I get the new Kingston memory? The fact that its effect differs by bank may indicate that the mobo does not support this memory? On the other hand, how come it does start up and detect memory but won't get to BIOS settings?

Thank for listening!
    Last edited by Cerberus_tm; 08-15-2008 at 01:35 PM. Reason: for some reasons paragraphs were not shown

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-EP45-DS3L: new pc shows Gigabyte screen then reboots

All of that ir normal, Except that you cant get in the BIOS. You hit DEL soon as your PC starts, before either of those screens you mentioned. Just turn it on and keep tapping it and you will/should eventually get in the BIOS.

That ram May or May not work in your board, so you may not ever be able to get in the BIOS until you can get your other ram, or at least some ram that will run at 1.8+. It should be able to though, I just think you have been trying DEL at the wrong time

I would not flash at all until you have your ram or a stable system at least with that ram you have or wait. That ram may possibly be bad, or not compatible with the board.

But please Try the DEL key at the proper time and see if you get in the BIOS, if not you will have to wait or borrow some other DR2 ram

Forgot, yes your Kingston Ram will work fine when you get it
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 08-15-2008 at 01:50 PM.

Thanks for your advice!
    I tried pressing DEL as soon as the monitor showed anything but nothing happened, same as before.

What I find odd that there is just one screen before the coloured Gigabyte screen, and that this one screen only whows 5 lines for a few seconds:

Intel 8400
    Version no. blah
    Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT
    blah (something about the GPU type)
    RAM 512 MB

That's it, no other brand or type names or lines or anything I have seen on every other pc I have ever turned on. Shouldn't there be more numbers and devices listed or something?

Still one short beep at start up. And after the Gigabyte screen it keeps rebooting.

Sounds like that ram just is not working. You will just have to wait on your new ram or borrow some.

If you still have the same issue with better ram then there is a problem

Okay, then I'll wait for my new RAM and hope it will work.
    By the way, a technical question: when exactly does a system start using its RAM? I assume at time zero it only uses CMOS/BIOS, then at some point starts accessing RAM - which would in my case be when the Gigabyte screen is shown? Thanks anyway!

It will not start or start properly without working compatible ram.

Ya it may or may not use the ram in the BIOS, but without ram installed the board will not start. So it must use some or let some info at least pass thru it to run the BIOS

I'm having the exact same problem...

My build:

GA-EP45-DS3L
    Antec TQP 850
    Intel Q9550
    Geforce 9800 GX2
    Seagate 500GB SATA
    2gb x 4 G.skills DDR2 1066

After a few cycles of this, my LCD just went blank, and a blue LED on the GX2 card would start flashing at about 2 second intervals. I got no picture on any subsequent reboot.

I tried throwing a new mobo in (same model), but I only made it to windows once amid the "IRQL_not_less_than_or_equal" or "Machine check exception" BSODs. Then the aforementioned blankness returned.

I had a spare 8800GT that I tossed in there, and the picture returned, but I can't get BIOS to POST. I'm having the exact same problems you are having Cerb.

I tried reseating the RAM, then started powering up with 1 stick in rail 1. Then 2 sticks in rails 1 and 3. Then 1 stick in rail 2. Then 2 sticks in 2 and 4. No luck.

I went to the only real store I have access too over here that doesn't charge in pounds sterling and bought a 2gigs of DDR2 800. Again, made it to windows once, then BSOD, and loop, loop, loop. Can't get to BIOS.

Am I just really unlucky and got bad RAM twice? Granted the RAM I bought at the nearby store was some brand I've never heard of before. (Centon)

The kick in the pants is I know the build works because it ran fine for 3 weeks before crashing. I just can't nail down which piece is being retarded. I'm hoping it's not the user. :)

I've never flashed BIOS. I realize after researching this problem that I really should have, but the machine ran just fine for so long, I figured "eh, why?"

Suggestions?

Are you sure your HD and PSU is still good? Can you test them both on a different System, HD dying can cause this, and PSU as well.

Had you changed or manually set any IRQ's? Can you try this all again with your GFX card in slot 2?

Have you tested each stick of ram in a separate board? One of the sticks being dead could also cause this. Or I suppose you could try each stick separately in slot one and see if one is dead... If you get them to work at all.

Since you do not want to flash, what you can likely do is clear CMOS and load optimized defaults for the BIOS you are using now.

To do this, please unplug your PSU from the wall. Then put a hard drive or optical jumper on the CLEAR CMOS Pins by the graphic card slot. Then let the machine sit for about 20 minutes. Then remove the hard drive jumper and plug the PSU back into the wall. Then put only one stick into slot one of the board and try to start it.

If it starts go into the BIOS and load "Optimized Defaults" then save and apply/F10 and reboot back into the BIOS. Be sure you do this reboot back into the BIOS and make any disk changes you need to make regarding RAID or Disk controller choices otherwise you may corrupt your windows install

Strange - there are no more beeps beside the short one, no messages like "searching for FDD" or "booting from CD...", etc.
    I wonder if clearing CMOS helps. When not - sorry to ask about that :) - did You install SATA drivers prior to OS installation? What changes did You make (if any) before those problems appeared?
    Last edited by artureal; 08-19-2008 at 03:11 AM.
    GA-EP45-DS3R F8 / E8400@4.2GHz / Scythe Katana 2 / Patriot Dual LLK 2x2GB CL4 /
    EVGA GTX280@640/2550MHz / X-Fi X-treme Music / Seagate Barracuda 500GB 32MB /
    Chieftec Dragon CFT-650-14C / Win XP Pro SP2

I have a very similar problem.

My build is:

GA-EP45 DS3L
    E8200
    4 x 1GB Corsair 6400C4 ddr2
    Coolmaster case and 460watt PSU
    3 x sata and 1 x dvd drive
    ati Radeon HD 2600pro video

Every part is brand new. Originally it would post okay and boot. About a week back I noticed that during a restart it would only get as far as listing the ram before rebooting. It would then post okay on the reboot and start.

This has become progressively worse at times with the rebooting occurring multiple times before starting okay. I have run a memory test via a ubuntu live cd but the ram passes with flying colours. I'm starting to think the memory controller may be the culprit.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem? I will probably see if an email to the manufacturer will get a response.

Regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information