Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with GA-EP45-DS5 ...Hard Disk LED remains on

Unhappy Problem with GA-EP45-DS5 ...Hard Disk LED remains on

Hi all.

I've recently built a new system based on the new GA-EP45-DS5 board and I'm having a small but very annoying problem with the Hard Disk LED on the case. The problem is that my HD led indicator is always on for some reason once windows XP SP3 starts to boot.

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (Clean install - nothing else loaded)

All Drivers etc from Gigabyte installation disk - no Third party drivers etc

During the POST and boot up, the HDD LED flashes on hard disk activity normally. Once the windows XP startup screen appears, the Hard Disk LED remains on until you log out of windows, even though there may be no activity.

- I've checked the HD Cable, connection of the HD LED cable to the MB etc
    -I've also disconnected the DVD/RW to eliminate it as a possible cause of the problem. (Pioneer DVR-216)

At first I thought I might have connected something incorrectly however the LED works fine until windows starts to boot.

Hard Drive: Western Digital, WD3200AAKS (SATA)

I've done some searching on the web and it appears that a number of others have been posting questions relating to the same problem in other discussion forums (Tom's Hardware etc) I couldn't fine anyone posting a solution, but the common point appears to be the SATA hard drive.

Those posting similar issues have reported them with the EP45-DQ6, EP45-DS5 (same as mine) and the EP45-DS4? I alsosaw one reported with the X48-DQ6, so I'm hoping that this issue may have alsready been reported and solved.

I'm hoping there is a simple solution to this.

Please let me know if you require additional details.

Thanks in advance

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Problem with GA-EP45-DS5 ...Hard Disk LED remains on

I have yet to see it mentioned, Can you try reversing the cable? Sometimes The case wiring may be labeled incorrectly. This will be fine for a test, so do not worry.

Other then that if you are sure you hooked it up in the proper spot I am not sure what to say. P45 is new so I have yet to come across this issue.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've tried reversing the cable. The LED functions correctly until windows starts to boot making me thing it may be driver related?

I've come across a number of other reports from people with the same problem..but I've spoken to others with no issues with similar set ups.

Any suggestions on where to go from here?

Thanks

Now that you mention, I have the same on GA-EP45-DQ6, with Vista Ult. x64 SP1. But I noticed it only after connecting drives to the "Smart Backup" function and assumed it to relate to RAID1 rebuild. However, the led works as expected with Linux (CentOS 5.2 x86_64), so this must be Windows/driver issue.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Not sure guys sorry. I do not have P45 yet to test any of this myself.

But the above post sounds like it would be correct then

Q-Flashed BIOS from F5 to F10a, and now the led acts expectedly in Vista too.

The only obvious change between the BIOS versions is that the JMB363 RAID BIOS has been disabled entirely, and what previously was shown as "External SATA drive" (RAID1 array presented by SiI5723) is now "External ATA disk", ie the drivers (assumedly needed for the JMB363) are different.

Hi Everybody,

I had the same problem about a week ago with this. I have a GA-EP45-DS5 mb running F10a bios. I found the Gigabyte Sata/Raid driver was the cause of the hardrive light remaining on.

I observed the following:

If the GB driver was loaded and the Purple GB Sata ports were connected to a HD then the HD light seemed to act normally.

If the GB driver was loaded and no HD connected to the Purple GB Sata ports then the HD light remained on after Vista bootup.

I am not using the GB purple ports at present until I investigate the Smart Backup facility a little more, but this definately sounds interesting and useful.

I have deleted the GB Sata/Raid driver and am just using the Intel ports 0-5 and the HD light is normal. So the GB driver seems to be flawed unless a HD is connected to a GB Sata port.

My preliminary investigations with Smart backup are that I can get a HD to work in either the GS0 source or GS2 source. If I connect HD to GS0 source and GS1 they act as if Raid 0.

If I connect a HD to each of the GS0 Source and GS2 source they act as mirrored or Raid 1. I would assume if 4 drives are connected you would have two sets of Raid 0 mirrored.

I have sent a tech request to GB for info on Smart Backup but have no response yet. I am keen to use it as it for OS/DATA mirroring but will not do so until the bios appears in the final state, seems a lot of radical changes from RAID to Smartbackup may still occur :-).

BTW if you connect a HD to GSO or GS2 Source without the GB SATA/RAID driver loaded it is seen and works in Vista. Strangely the HD is not seen in bios but the driver does not affect this. All works fine in Explorer and Disk Manager.

Hope this helps.

Harry230.
    Last edited by Harry230; 08-16-2008 at 06:59 PM.

GB Sata/Raid driver is actually the Jmicron JMB363 driver, and at least on GA-EP45-DQ6 F10a it will not install any more, for the reason I gave in my previous comment. And it makes sense that the led-behaviour is linked to that driver.

@Harry230: the RAID modes (including Smart Backup) might be a bit different from what you assume. What I assume about them is here (and I'll update that soon<TM>).

When Sata HDisk are connected onto Gx Purple Connectors, this is not the Jmicron but the SIs5723 which drives Led status - You'll find infos here, P99 http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/Alt...de_Rev_1.1.pdf

Troubleshooting Table 19 - Troubleshooting Suggestions
    Problem Resolution - LEDs

1. System LED is off. = Confirm power at the outlet, verify power connection, and try an alternate power cable. Install new firmware.
    2. LED is blinking. = Evaluate the drive for failure and replace if needed. Drive 1 or Drive 2 See HBA connection below.
    3. Drive 1 or Drive 2 LED is on continuously. = A SAFE volume is rebuilding on the drive.

Case 3 seems to be SmartBack active (bios settings or defect bios)
    See also P98 "Front Panel LEDs "

You can try to install the software "SteelVine Manager" that you will find here http://www.siliconimage.com/support/...id=103&cid=24&

see also my post (i' intersting about this card i haven't"
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ep45-ds5-dq6-27384/

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by durantt View Post
    When Sata HDisk are connected onto Gx Purple Connectors, this is not the Jmicron but the SIs5723 which drives Led status
    That is not true. If Gigabyte has connected the led to something, it is the Jmicron, and the behaviour depends on the Jmicron drivers.

As I wrote previously, the led is not continuously on in Linux, and neither in Vista with new BIOS, and this is while the 5723 is rebuilding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information