Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BSOD When installing Windows

Default Re: BSOD When installing Windows

He, he, yes, I did. Impressive, thanks for Your great work, but You should add a note for noobies about recent Intel 45nm CPUs: 1.55V is max voltage for 65nm CPUs! ;)
    GA-EP45-DS3R F8 / E8400@4.2GHz / Scythe Katana 2 / Patriot Dual LLK 2x2GB CL4 /
    EVGA GTX280@640/2550MHz / X-Fi X-treme Music / Seagate Barracuda 500GB 32MB /
    Chieftec Dragon CFT-650-14C / Win XP Pro SP2

Oh hell yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Gonna grab myself a copy and go through that beast thoroughly.

One question though, when installing windows should I have hit f5 to specify the HAL myself or does windows determine if it's a quad, multiprocessor or whatever automatically.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Windows will determin the HAL on it's own. All you will need to do is F6 install drivers if you want to do RAID or AHCI (XP)

Artureal
    Yeah, I planned to update the thread a bit, and I plan to finish out the memory sticky as well. Just have not had time yet, I am always so busy!

Still no one knows the real max of 45nm though, I just was readin thru this today and am still uncertain myself >>>
    http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/...iscussion.html

LSD that guide is a work of art, easily the most comprehensive thing I've found on the net.

However I have 2 questions before I feel confident tackling that bad boy;

1. During POST the memory is showing as 4 gig and "memory runs at single channel, sometimes it doesn't show the amount and just shows the single channel message. I'm assuming this isn't good as the ram is dual channel.
    I'm using corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF, Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS5, Q9550. XP SP2

2. I can't see the full BIOS screen for some reason, did a quich search and there's supposed to be a 'stretch screen' function or something but I can't see it anywhere.

For Dual Channel you need to insert the sticks into opposite colored slots on the same number per bank. Such as slots 1+3 or 2+4

Hmm I have never heard of 2, What size screen do you have? Can you post a image of how it looks from a camera? Ill also look around for the "Stretch" thing for you tonight when I get home. Please reply here so I will remember

By petefloyd, shot with SAMSUNG at 2008-08-20

Not a complete nightmare, I can generally suss out what the full screen would say but it'd be nice to see the full thing. It's a samsung 9300bf 19".

Thanks for the info on the ram LSD, think I'll be ready to go through that little grimoire soon.
    Last edited by petefloyd; 08-20-2008 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Image

Hmm well you should be seeing full screen then for sure! That is weird. I see the full screen on my 19" and my 20" Maybe your GFX card is messed up

As for stretch, I can see that mentioned in some older Laptop BIOS posts but no desktop. And to be honest with you I remember having hooked up my board now once to a 17" screen and could see all the page, of course there is a few sections where you do have to scroll down but other then that I am not sure what to say about this.

Can you post a image of it for me

Like I say not the end of the world, and if I'm taking on that guide I should be familiar enough with the BIOS anyway to know what it'll be saying. The manual isn't much good though, with entries like;
    'This is the cpu clock ratio button - use this to adjust the cpu clock ratio'

Bottom line is 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it', this should definitely be my epitaph. I was getting blistering performance in pro tools and cubase from the moment I first installed windows. True to form I had to start dicking about didn't I, and now I'm just not getting the same results.

Hmm that is strange, never seen it do that. Well at least it is that info side and not a setting you cannot get to!! That would be bad.

Do you have a different GFX card to test with, it could just be that GFX card doing it

You do have Init First Display set to PEG correct? If not do that and see if it helps since that is what it should be (PEG for PCI-E slot 1 and PEG2 for PCI-E Slot 2)

If you want help with settings like I said post me the ones you are using and I will see if I can tell you what would be better or what is causing you issues.

I can say if you are tweaking your Ram in anyway or overclocking you need to set performance Enhance to Standard

Yeah fortunately it's the right hand portion of the screen that's missing. Major ****ter if it was the left. I don't have another gfx card to try it with either, but I can tell you that both the card and the mobo are made by Gigabyte so you'd think there wouldn't be any issues.

And yeah it's set to PEG, it's probably the only thing I have altered in the BIOS except for loading the optimized defaults. However I tried loading an intensive session in pro tools today and it coped very well so I don't know what's going on really.

Think I'll try some of the safer tweaks in your guide LSD but at the minute it's running quite well and I don't wanna screw it up again.

Thanks for all your help man!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information